NY - Nadine Lockwood, 4, starved to death, New York City, 3 Aug 1996

Princess of Oz

Blessed Be.
Reaction score
Hey y'all - it's been a while since I've been here. Life took me on a hell of a ride for a little while. In that time I learned about a little girl. Nadine Lockwood. I don't know if anyone else has ever heard of her. I did a search on here to find out before I posted this, but nothing came up. Nadine's life was nothing short of a horror film. Everyone has "that one" that they just. can't. let. go of, and Nadine is mine. So much so that my husband has to step in, and make me let it go a few days a week. I sit, after my kids are in bed and just read and research everything I can on her. I can't let her go, even though she left this world a long time ago. I can't show you her picture, because the only one that exists is her closed casket. She is forever 4 years old. She weighed less than 15lbs. I don't know how to stop grieving for a little girl I never knew. I hope in writing about her, sharing her with others that it will make the pain I feel a little less. She had no one to love her, but now she does.

This is one article about her, her horrors, and her death. Death, was the best thing that happened to her. Isn't that sad?
http://www.nytimes.com/1996/09/02/n...d-in-manhattan-and-her-mother-is-charged.html

How could this woman eat knowing that her child was in the next room starving? I didn't want to read about Nadine. Sometimes I think my heart can't take much more but out of respect for her I felt I had too. When I read about situations like that I often wonder why the other, older children don't step in (fear?). At least tell someone that your sister is locked in a back room starving. I guess no matter how bad your home life is there's fear of being taken away, separated from your brothers and sisters (which it sounds like they will be anyway).

Hey y'all - it's been a while since I've been here. Life took me on a hell of a ride for a little while. In that time I learned about a little girl. Nadine Lockwood. I don't know if anyone else has ever heard of her. I did a search on here to find out before I posted this, but nothing came up. Nadine's life was nothing short of a horror film. Everyone has "that one" that they just. can't. let. go of, and Nadine is mine. So much so that my husband has to step in, and make me let it go a few days a week. I sit, after my kids are in bed and just read and research everything I can on her. I can't let her go, even though she left this world a long time ago. I can't show you her picture, because the only one that exists is her closed casket. She is forever 4 years old. She weighed less than 15lbs. I don't know how to stop grieving for a little girl I never knew. I hope in writing about her, sharing her with others that it will make the pain I feel a little less. She had no one to love her, but now she does.

This is one article about her, her horrors, and her death. Death, was the best thing that happened to her. Isn't that sad?
http://www.nytimes.com/1996/09/02/n...d-in-manhattan-and-her-mother-is-charged.html

Princess, this is indeed one of the saddest cases I've read about. I can only hope and pray that since 1996 the city of New York has done what the article said: "...and brought about a changed focus for city investigators. Instead of emphasizing keeping families together, the agency now concentrates primarily on criminal justice and the protection of children. " This is what needs to happen in a lot of areas, especially when drugs are involved, IMO. Drugs can turn parents into different, inhumane creatures. This and the case of little Elisa I. also in NYC, should have shocked some social workers and LEO's into reality and the need to really focus on the children, NOT the parents. The children's needs must come first. Thank you so much for caring for Nadine and I know God is now watching over her--she is in eternal peace and will never come to harm again. Bless you!

Thank you Princess for bringing Nadine's story to us. How awful for that little child to endure that stuff. She is suffering no more.

I hope it's ok that I shared her story, even though it was going on 20 years ago. I just made her a promise that people would know her, and to help others so that they didn't have to live in the same nightmare that she did.

Thank You for sharing her story Princess, I will never understand.
There were neighbors, children services, etc etc and still this precious baby fell through the cracks.
Bless You Princess!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708