Fire Fire

V

veepee

Those firemen who saw the grass greener on the other side after the smoke cleared need to be fired.The women who fell for them aught to have all the money they gained from their mates death taken away from them.People keep talking about 911 as a terrible thing but a lot of them are takeing it as far as they can to make money.People are greedy and will use anything to get a buck.What makes it so hard there are people out there that will help any cause and are being made fools of everyday.:nono: :nono:

I assume you're talking about the dozen or so firefighters who left their families for the widows of their colleagues after 9/11? While I don't share your views about what ought to be done with or to them, I heard about this last night and it struck me as really strange. I wonder if this sort of thing has happened before after a major tragedy. I heard the department asked these firefighters to try and "comfort" the widows, but they sure did take it to the limit, didn't they?

Also odd that you would put this in the "Crimes in the News" section! What's that about?

I had no idea what you were talking about until Jeana made it a bit clearer.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/12/02/earlyshow/living/main586338.shtml

The other side of the story:
http://www.silive.com/news/advance/index.ssf?/base/news/1070376368222640.xml

http://www.bravestmemorial.com/html/rigs/rescue_5.html

http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/fdny/html/memorial/wtc/bergin_john_ff_res005.html

This doesn't change my mind at all about the heroic actions of the NYFD that terrible day in September '01.

Try seeing your friends die around you, see whole bodies, body parts, arms, legs, fingers, shoes, rain down upon you, people bloodied and burned, the smell, the panic, the chaos and see how that changes you. Digging for days with your bare hands desperate to find someone, anyone alive. The Pit. The CRIME was that the event ever occurred, that those hijackers ever did this to these people, the rest is just the ripple effect. If you need to blame, blame those terrorists.

I donated then to the NYFD Widows and Children's Fund, I'd donate again, maybe I just will.

http://www.september11news.com/AttackImages.htm

Originally posted by Jeana (DP)
I assume you're talking about the dozen or so firefighters who left their families for the widows of their colleagues after 9/11?

Are there any legal issues here or is this a discussion on morals? etc?

Stress can really screw up a person, who knows why their relationships have changed with their spouses and with the widows of their comrades?

Interesting though, I had not heard about any of this.

Cass...

Well Cass, the money issue was brought up in the original post, I assume talking of the survivor benefits from both the NYFD and the various funds that were collected in the aftermath. If I recall right, if the widow's remarry the survivorship benefits from the department end. I suppose that would be a legal issue.

Hmmm who would have thought all this would come up just a couple of short years later.

What a day that was.

Cass...

$18,000 was the max allowed from the department. Who amongst us would ask these people to repay that, because they dared to love again. Is that what some want?? Not me.

People can sure turn stuff around.Those firemen are wrong to leave their families to go after widows of dead firemen.If you say Greed is not apart I will eat my hat.

Originally posted by Casshew
Are there any legal issues here or is this a discussion on morals? etc?

Stress can really screw up a person, who knows why their relationships have changed with their spouses and with the widows of their comrades?

Interesting though, I had not heard about any of this.

Cass...

I've heard of scorned women filing suit against the woman who "stole" her husband - and won. So, while I guess they could file lawsuits, I don't see how its going to help anything. I don't think these marriages were healthy to begin with. Maybe the husbands were just looking for a reason to leave. Unfortunately, the suicide rate for these workers is high also as a result of the attacks.

Hi Mindy's

18,000.00 a year? 18,000.00 - one time?

This is not that much money either way.. I don't see where the greed figures in? Maybe I am missing something.

Cass...

I heard a much larger figure that each family was supposed to have received. I don't know if it was money from the department, the state, the federal government or charitable organizations, but the figure I heard was somewhere between $100,000 and $200,000 for each family.

Now, having said that, I still don't believe that these men left their families for money and I don't think people in good healthy relationships leave their families. These people must have been unhappy before and maybe thought they could be happier elsewhere. These are people (men) who are used to being needed and these widows and their families surely did need them. Maybe their situations appealed to something in their nature. ????? Not sure.

I thought charity started at home.To break up your family to help another to me don't make much sense.I could be old fashion but I just can't see the logic.:confused: :nono:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back