Australia - Jewish sex abuse victims pressured not to assist police

Ausgirl

Reaction score
:notgood:

Members of Australia's Orthodox Jewish community who assist police investigating alleged child sexual abuse have been pressured to stay silent, secret tape recordings and emails obtained by Fairfax Media reveal.

The details of the pressure being exerted on victims have emerged as the Royal Commission into child sex abuse prepares to hold public hearings next week to examine the responses of Melbourne and Sydney's yeshivah centres to alleged offences dating back to the 1980s.

In one secret, legally recorded 2011 telephone conversation, prominent Melbourne criminal lawyer Alex Lewenberg tells a victim of St Kilda Yeshivah centre sex offender David Cyprys he should not have co-operated with police.

"I am not exactly delighted that another Yid [Jew] would assist police against an accused no matter whatever he is accused of and that is the reason why I was very disappointed," Mr Lewenberg, who was defending Cyprys at the time of the conversation, told the victim.

Mr Lewenberg was referring to the Jewish tradition of mesirah under which a Jew does not inform secular authorities about another Jew. Members of ultra-orthodox communities who assist police are often ostracised and given the derogatory label of "moser" or informer.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/j...-tapes-and-emails-reveal-20150127-12zcfa.html

I was absolutely cringing, reading this, for the victims in the article and all the others who must have suffered in silence -- throughout the years and anywhere in the world where this BS is still allowed to happen.

No religion has the right to shield a child rapist from the law. I hope the police go through this lot like a dose of salts.

Awful, those poor victims, raped over again, by their abuser, then by their church leaders. :( Rabbi Lesches tells one victim if they involve the police, "everybody gets dirty, everybody suffers".
I have no words. :(

What makes me incredibly angry is that a cultural law that is supposed to be used to --protect-- Jewish people from harm has been so twisted out of shape as to protect men who rape kids, and inflict suffering on Jewish children.

It's no different to Catholic and Anglican pedophile priests hiding behind their robes. Or gurus in India abusing their devotees, or the children thereof.

All these organisations need to take a good long look at themselves, from the top down -- leaders need to stop letting pride stand in the way of admitting there's a problem, and then doing something about it. And the members of the communities these monsters come from need to wake up and get the pitchforks out.

No doubt, in many cases, the very worst have wormed their way into *being* leaders... :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back