KY - Harriet Hardy, 87, raped & murdered, St Matthews, 4 Aug 1980

bflocket

Reaction score
This event goes to show that older-than-dirt (damn-near as old as me) cases can still be solved with some kind of punishment dealt out. Given his age and health, that punishment is yet to be known at this time.

I put it in this forum even though I hadn't heard of the "cold case" until it was solved. But there are so many old unsolved crimes in every part of the nation/world, that must be at least fairly common.

71-year-old arrested at health care facility for 1980 rape, murder (WAVE-3 1/27/2015, Louisville, KY)
Jerry Lee Weatherford, 71, was indicted by a Jefferson County Grand Jury for the rape and murder of Harriet Hardy, 87, in August 1980.
Police say this is among the oldest cold cases solved by LMPD. Now that his DNA is in the database, it will be compared to see if he is linked to any other crimes. Hardy still has family in Louisville and they are very pleased to get the justice process going.

Police say new DNA testing led to arrest in 1980 rape, slaying case (WLKY-32 1/27/2015, Louisville, KY)
Weatherford was an initial suspect and was arrested in Hardy's case in 1980, but there was not have enough evidence to indict him, Downs said.

Weatherford, then 37, was a friend of the Hardy family, according to police.

Hardy, 87, was discovered dead in her St. Matthews home by her granddaughter.
In court Tuesday, a not guilty plea was entered on Weatherford's behalf and Judge McKay Chauvin said a public defender will be appointed in his case.

Weatherford is being held in lieu of $100,000 bond and is due back in court in March.

71-year-old arrested in 1980 cold case rape, murder (WHAS-11 1/27/2015, Louisville, KY)
During a news conference Tuesday, police said evidence gathered during the original investigation was sent off for DNA testing and the results of that testing led cold case detectives to Weatherford.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back