Found Deceased MN - Marc Welzant, 47, Brainerd, 26 Oct 2014

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Marc Welzant, 47, has been missing since October. Marc walked out of a group home in Brainerd where he lived and headed to a nearby gas station. There is video of Marc leaving a holiday gas station near his group home on Oct. 26, 2014, the 400 block of South 6th street in Brainerd. Investigators said there have not been any new leads in months in Welzant’s disappearance. There is a $10,000 reward for information that helps find Marc.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/02/01/family-holding-out-hope-to-find-missing-brainerd-man/

Bring Marc Welzant Home
https://www.facebook.com/bringmarcwelzanthome

NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/26638/0

Brainerd Man Missing Since Oct. 26
November 5, 2014 2:52 PM
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/11/05/brainerd-man-missing-since-oct-26/
Marc Welzant was last seen at the Brainerd Holiday Gas Station shortly after he went missing the afternoon of Oct. 26.
Welzant is 5 feet tall with short, light, brown hair and weighs about 190 pounds. He was wearing a black jacket and dark-colored sweat pants.
His brother, David, said he has Prader-Willi Syndrome, a chromosomal disorder that has intellectual and behavioral effects, and Welzant’s family said they are very worried about his health.
His family is hoping that hunters in the Brainerd area will keep an eye out for him. Welzant’s brother said that, with cold weather coming, his family feels they are losing time quickly.
marc-welzant-2.jpg

Welzant was last seen about 1:30 p.m. on Oct. 26, 2014, by staff at the group home where he lived on the 1100 block of Beech Street in Brainerd. Store security video showed Welzant was at the Holiday Stationstore, 424 S. Sixth St., Brainerd about 2:50 p.m. on the day he went missing.

___

CLC law enforcement students search for missing man

The students walked at times in a horizontal line, opposite of the trail, searching for any object they could find. They found several plastic bags.

http://www.brainerddispatch.com/news/3721527-clc-law-enforcement-students-search-missing-man

This case absolutely breaks my heart. Marc needs to come home.

About Prader-Willi syndrome:

"Prader-Willi syndrome is a complex genetic condition that affects many parts of the body. In infancy, this condition is characterized by weak muscle tone (hypotonia), feeding difficulties, poor growth, and delayed development. Beginning in childhood, affected individuals develop an insatiable appetite, which leads to chronic overeating (hyperphagia) and obesity. Some people with Prader-Willi syndrome, particularly those with obesity, also develop type 2 diabetes mellitus (the most common form of diabetes).

People with Prader-Willi syndrome typically have mild to moderate intellectual impairment and learning disabilities. Behavioral problems are common, including temper outbursts, stubbornness, and compulsive behavior such as picking at the skin. Sleep abnormalities can also occur. Additional features of this condition include distinctive facial features such as a narrow forehead, almond-shaped eyes, and a triangular mouth; short stature; and small hands and feet. Some people with Prader-Willi syndrome have unusually fair skin and light-colored hair. Both affected males and affected females have underdeveloped genitals. Puberty is delayed or incomplete, and most affected individuals are unable to have children (infertile)."

Hundreds attend awareness walk for missing man

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/region/3868910-hundreds-attend-awareness-walk-missing-man

On a chilly, overcast day in Brainerd, hundreds took time out of their Sunday to participate in a walk to raise awareness for missing person Marc Welzant.

The group gathered in Kiwanis Park in Brainerd taking part in a walk of about 2 miles, retracing the route Welzant is believed to have taken the day he disappeared a year ago today.
http://www.brainerddispatch.com/news/3862965-awareness-walk-missing-marc-welzant-planned

All leads police have followed up on have not provided any insight to what may have happened to Welzant. He had no money, no phone, no mode of transportation and no identification. Welzant had no friends outside his family and group home, and did not have the ability or mental capacity to survive on his own.

After nearly a year of searching for Welzant, Brainerd police are no closer to finding him than when he went missing last fall. Police and family members continue to hope that someone may have seen something, no matter how minor, that could be useful in leading to Welzant.

Not sure if anyone will see this but Marc is my uncle and the latest news in Brainerd has me really wondering...
another vulnerable adult, Brandon Rich went missing from his home on the same street Marc lived on (south 6th)
today his body was found in a shallow lake (6ft deep) at the same park Marc was last seen. Although police had searched the day before in the river they were alerted to wet clothing by a park building that was identified as Brandons. Why would his clothing be wet and off of him? Even if he had went skinny dipping (which I doubt) his clothing wouldn't have been wet. And how did police not see it the day before? I don't think if Brandon was trying to hide he would've been successful for two full days without any one seeing him when it appears he was well known around town. Nor would he have went to a park that had had such heavy police presence due to search efforts.
Just too many factors in common for me, perhaps it is all a coincidence but I am not so sure...

Not sure if anyone will see this but Marc is my uncle and the latest news in Brainerd has me really wondering...
another vulnerable adult, Brandon Rich went missing from his home on the same street Marc lived on (south 6th)
today his body was found in a shallow lake (6ft deep) at the same park Marc was last seen. Although police had searched the day before in the river they were alerted to wet clothing by a park building that was identified as Brandons. Why would his clothing be wet and off of him? Even if he had went skinny dipping (which I doubt) his clothing wouldn't have been wet. And how did police not see it the day before? I don't think if Brandon was trying to hide he would've been successful for two full days without any one seeing him when it appears he was well known around town. Nor would he have went to a park that had had such heavy police presence due to search efforts.
Just too many factors in common for me, perhaps it is all a coincidence but I am not so sure...

Welcome BJs87! I had not put the two together. Here is Brandon's page.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?307177-MN-Brandon-Rich-23-Brainerd-4-May-2016

Thank you! I was worried immediately when I saw the first news Brandon was missing from south 6th street. While he lived with his family and not a group home it just seems strange how similar these two cases are. Both men are well known in the community and I just don't see how either wasn't seen more after they had disappeared

Thank you! I was worried immediately when I saw the first news Brandon was missing from south 6th street. While he lived with his family and not a group home it just seems strange how similar these two cases are. Both men are well known in the community and I just don't see how either wasn't seen more after they had disappeared

Sorry to bother Bjs, I just had some questions I was curious of....

1. It sounds like your brother is very friendly; would he have accepted a ride from someone he just met?
2. Articles say he went to that gas station often; did he have a set routine of going there at expected times?
3. You mentioned he lived at home and not a group home - did your parents provide most care or was there any outside help that would come in...nurses, aides, social workers?

Thank you and I'm very sorry to just learn about your brother....I too agree there are too many similarities for this and the Rich murder to be coincidence.

Sorry to bother Bjs, I just had some questions I was curious of....

1. It sounds like your brother is very friendly; would he have accepted a ride from someone he just met?
2. Articles say he went to that gas station often; did he have a set routine of going there at expected times?
3. You mentioned he lived at home and not a group home - did your parents provide most care or was there any outside help that would come in...nurses, aides, social workers?

Thank you and I'm very sorry to just learn about your brother....I too agree there are too many similarities for this and the Rich murder to be coincidence.

You are not bothering me at all.
1. Marc was a very friendly person with a very unusual build and short stature who stood out in the community. Most knew him because of how friendly he was. However he also knew of the dangers of taking a ride with strangers and it's something he very often would tell us he would never do because his mom had warned him not to.
2. He did not have a set routine of going there at certain times. While he did occasionally go to the store or walk around it wasn't a set thing.
3. He lived in a group home, not a personal home like Brandon. The day he went missing he knew his sister was coming to pick him up for a shopping trip and dinner, both of which he was very excited about. The group homes story of what happened that day has changed a couple of times and even proven to be wrong by law enforcement at one point. However the police refused to question the individuals any further as they claim that's just not something you can do...
He just wouldn't have purposely missed going with his sister and knew she was going to be there at a certain time.
With the news of Brandon it has me wondering if there was some kind of predator in the area that would've preyed on these men as both would be easy victims. I don't know what has happened, and pray it is just a coincidence but worry there is more to these stories.
If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

marc-welzant-poster.jpg
B9G1smDCcAMBxAm.jpg

Although law enforcement is in the beginning stages of identifying the body, it had similar clothing as that worn by Marc Welzant, a developmentally disabled man who went missing near Brainerd in 2014, family members said Sunday.

Marc Welzant's brother, Dave Welzant, described the development as a possible source of closure to the family that could answer the question of what happened to his brother.
http://www.brainerddispatch.com/news/4240910-remains-found-may-be-those-missing-brainerd-man

Eventually body found!

Marc has been found ... :(:

"Human remains found Saturday night in a wooded area off Business Highway 371 south of Brainerd have been identified as those of Marc Welzant, a developmentally disabled man who went missing over two years ago, ​Brainerd​ ​Police​ ​Chief Corky McQuiston stated in a news release.

McQuiston stated the cause of death has not yet been determined but there are no preliminary indications that foul play is involved."
http://www.brainerddispatch.com/news/4241995-human-remains-identified-welzants

Rest in Peace, Marc. My sincere condolences to his family -including Bjs87 ... I'm so sorry ...- and friends.

Cause of Welzant's death remains undetermined

http://www.brainerddispatch.com/news/4245843-cause-welzants-death-remains-undetermined

The Ramsey County Medical Examiner's Office has listed the provisional manner and cause of Marc Welzant's death as undetermined, Brainerd Police Chief Corky McQuiston stated Tuesday in an email.

"Based upon the circumstances as they were, I don't anticipate that changing," McQuiston stated on the cause of death, as the final autopsy has not been completed.

Last week, Brainerd police reported there were no preliminary indications that foul play was involved in Welzant's death.

Once-missing man’s memory will ride on; family donates cherished bike to Brainerd girl

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/06/once-missing-mans-memory-will-ride-on-family-donates-cherished-bike-to-brainerd-girl/

Marc Welzant’s memory will live on in many ways — including when 12-year-old Sierra Hartung of Brainerd rides her new three-wheeled bicycle around.

The bright royal blue Schwinn was owned by Welzant, a Brainerd man who went missing more than two years ago. His remains were recently located in a wooded area off Business Highway 371 south of Brainerd.

The Welzant family decided to donate Marc’s bicycle and chose Sierra because she has a developmental disability, like Marc did. Sierra is deaf and has cerebral palsy.

“Marc would be so happy,” Marc’s four sisters — Mary Peterson, Jane Long, Barb Herbst and Sue Kleman — said Tuesday as they saw how much Sierra enjoyed riding the bicycle around her residence.

“Marc loved to give people things they like,” Kleman said as the sisters nodded in agreement.

Brainerd family says final goodbyes to man who was missing for more than 2 years - April 24th

http://www.inforum.com/news/4256118-brainerd-family-says-final-goodbyes-man-who-was-missing-more-2-years

After more than two years without answers, Marc Welzant's family on Monday, April 24, got the chance to say their goodbyes at his funeral service at St. Francis Catholic Church in Brainerd.

Welzant's family spent 29 months searching, praying and hoping Marc would be found. Welzant went missing on the afternoon of Oct. 26, 2014, when he left his group home in Brainerd. His remains were found March 25 south of Brainerd.

The Rev. Tony Wroblewski of St. Francis Catholic Church in Brainerd officiated funeral services for Welzant. Welzant was buried in the Baxter City Cemetery in a private ceremony.

In the eulogy, Welzant's brother Dave Welzant said their father died five months before Marc was born. Marc, who was the youngest of 11 children, was diagnosed at age 2 with a rare genetic disorder called Prader-Willi syndrome. Welzant said their mother studied the disorder because she wanted to make sure Welzant had a normal childhood. Welzant graduated from Brainerd High School and lived in the Twin Cities metro area and Duluth before returning to the Brainerd area to be closer with family and friends.

"He was friendly and compassionate," Dave Welzant said of his brother. "He had a great sense of humor and would strike up a conversation with anyone."

"Marc's family and community searched for him (all these years) and we finally found him," Welzant said. "His discovery is not what we had hoped. We hoped to bring him home alive. ... We will now bring him home to rest with our parents."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back