Identified! UT - Fruit Heights, WhtFem Skeletal on hillside, Feb'15 - Theresa Greaves

PastTense

Reaction score
Authorities are investigating what appears to be a human skull found by a walker on a hill next to the Frontage Road in Fruit Heights Thursday evening. The man, who frequently walks in the area, called the Davis County Sheriff's Office just after 5:30 p.m. reporting he had found the skull. In addition to the Davis County Sheriff's Office, the state medical examiner's office and a forensic anthropologist were called to the scene.

The skull appears to have been in the area for some time. "It's hard to determine at this point how long it's been there," Servey said, and it may take a month or two to make that determination. Investigators will try to match dental records to help with that identification.
http://davisclipper.com/view/full_s...eights?instance=secondary_stories_left_column

Fruit Heights is a city of 4,700 about 20 miles north of Salt Lake City. When they speak of using dental records that suggests they already may have someone in mind.

Police: ‘meticulous investigation’ underway after skull, other remains found in Davis County

Police said earlier in the week this is a homicide investigation until they learn otherwise, and in an update issued Saturday by the Davis County Sheriff’s Office authorities stated they are focusing their search efforts, “on the area surrounding the main gravesite which is toward the top of the hill. The gravesite meaning the area containing the majority of skeletal remains.”

The skull was found farther down the hill than the other remains, which official said could have occurred due to weather or animals shifting the remains. They also said the skull’s shape may have caused it to roll.

http://fox13now.com/2015/02/07/poli...er-skull-other-remains-found-in-davis-county/

Wasn't there also a young man who went missing near there - Stephen or Steven?

Ted Bundy killed a few around this area in the mid seventies who were never found... Hope they can identify this person soon. RIP.

Reposting what I put on Reddit:

When I heard about it I immediately thought of Kiplyn Davis (who disappeared 70-some miles away), but that's because I had just watched a Discovery ID episode about her case earlier that day. There are quite a few people missing in the area, mostly from Salt Lake City (most notably Susan Powell).

I'm not a forensic anthropologist, but the skull looks to me like it probably belongs to a female:
  • The upper margins of the eye sockets have sharper ridges, which is characteristic of females
  • The superciliary arch looks very small (the arch is small in humans but is more prominent in males)
It also looks Caucasian:
  • Caucasians tend to have a narrow nasal aperture (while people of African origin have a wider, broader aperture)
  • The eye sockets of Caucasians also have a more rectangular, "aviator glasses" shape (while Africans tend to have more of straight rectangular shape and Asians have more circular orbits)
  • The nasal sill looks more angular
Based on this, I think the skull likely belongs to a Caucasian female.

Obviously don't quote me on this; I'm not a forensic anthropologist and I also don't have a mandible to go on. It's just something I've always had a strong interest in and am studying. JMO

Reposting what I put on Reddit:
When I heard about it I immediately thought of Kiplyn Davis (who disappeared 70-some miles away), but that's because I had just watched a Discovery ID episode about her case earlier that day. There are quite a few people missing in the area, mostly from Salt Lake City (most notably Susan Powell).

I'm not a forensic anthropologist, but the skull looks to me like it probably belongs to a female:
  • The upper margins of the eye sockets have sharper ridges, which is characteristic of females
  • The superciliary arch looks very small (the arch is small in humans but is more prominent in males)
It also looks Caucasian:
  • Caucasians tend to have a narrow nasal aperture (while people of African origin have a wider, broader aperture)
  • The eye sockets of Caucasians also have a more rectangular, "aviator glasses" shape (while Africans tend to have more of straight rectangular shape and Asians have more circular orbits)
  • The nasal sill looks more angular
Based on this, I think the skull likely belongs to a Caucasian female.

Obviously don't quote me on this; I'm not a forensic anthropologist and I also don't have a mandible to go on. It's just something I've always had a strong interest in and am studying. JMO

I agree with the reddit poster about the gender and race. The skull does look to my non-anthropologist eye to belong to a Caucasian female.

But looking at that skull, I'm not seeing Nancy Baird. Nancy has a long narrow nose. The nasal aperture on the skull looks too high and broad to be Nancy.

But Susan Powell - Perhaps. The shape of the nasal bone and the breadth of the nasal aperture looks quite consistent with Susan's nose.

Also, there are some very clear photos of Susan's teeth. And looking at the shape of the biting edges of the #6 and #7 teeth on the skull, they compare very similarly to the biting edges of Susan's #6 & #7. Also, the nasal spine (to which the columella of the nose attaches) is positioned low with respect to the borders of the nasal aperature, suggesting that the person's columella was positioned lower than the nostrils and alae. That is consistent with the shape of the bottom of Susan's nose.

Susan Powell and Fruit Heights UT Skull.jpg

Utah is Ted Bundy territory. It made me think of Debra Jean Kent who is missing from Bountiful. It looks like Bountiful is not very far from Fruit Heights. Maybe half hour? Hard to tell on map.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/567dfut.html

I looked at your link and memories of everything I ever knew about Bundy just came flooding back. Gives me the creeps to this day!

Forensic teams have been unearthing additional bones in the wake of last week's discovery of a human skull along a U.S. 89 frontage road in Davis County. Davis County Sheriff's Sgt. DeeAnn Servey was not at liberty Tuesday to provide details on what sort of bones, in addition to the skull found by a hiker near Fruit Heights on Feb. 5, had been recovered.

"They were transported to the [State Crime Lab] to begin the process of identifying the [deceased] individual," she said, "[but] I can't comment on the specificities of the bones."
http://www.sltrib.com/news/2163999-155/davis-county-skull-bones-turned-over

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back