Teen Alecia Pennington can't prove her identity

zwiebel

Reaction score
19-year-old Alecia Faith Pennington has launched a social media campaign for help because she says her parents don't have a single shred of paperwork to prove she exists and is their child, and they refuse to help her do so.

Pennington says her birth in Texas wasn't registered, she's never been taken to a doctor or clinic so has no medical records, and was home-schooled her entire life. Now she can't attend college, get a job, driving license or a SS number.

She's appealing for help from lawyers, media and the public.

Very strange case. Her video and more details at the link.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/nation...aving-issues-proving-her-american-citizenship

Attachments

• alecia-pennington640x480_1423757241915_13244594_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
    alecia-pennington640x480_1423757241915_13244594_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 416
I wonder if she was kidnapped as a baby?

Just a question, not an allegation.

I am a bit skeptical of this situation for some reason. However, she should probably start by contacting the Texas (is that where she is at?) Department of Vital Records, or whatever its called there. They should be able to give her some information on what she will need to do. Lost or non-existent birth certificates are not that uncommon. She could also contact the Texas Bar Association about getting a referral on an attorney that could help her. I know there has been mention of immigration attorneys, and that might be of help. But another idea is some elder law attorneys could be of assistance. It occasionally happens that a person has worked their whole life, and wants to file for Social Security but then realizes they have none of the paperwork they need. They were born on a farm, no birth certificate, incorrect SSN, lost family records, etc. Elder law attorneys, or general practice attorneys, may have experience in reconstructing this paper trail. Its a bureaucratic mess, but it can be done.

I wonder if she was kidnapped as a baby?

Just a question, not an allegation.

I wonder if her parents pay taxes. She should go to the IRS. Her parents might be trying to live off the grid now but I'm betting they have birth certificates and social security numbers.

I wonder if her parents pay taxes. She should go to the IRS. Her parents might be trying to live off the grid now but I'm betting they have birth certificates and social security numbers.

That's exactly what I was wondering too. If anyone can get this taken care of it's the IRS.

Either that or it's a fake report. Something doesn't add up.

My first thought when I saw the article about this was that it was probably fake. But the mother's blog post, facebook page, and now the mother's public response (https://homeschoolersanonymous.word...ngton-respond-to-identification-abuse-claims/) make it pretty clear it's all pretty legit. The mother argues that her older children have had no problems getting IDs. She assumed the midwife "filed a birth certificate" but don't have a copy. She also claims that she would help her daughter get whatever documentation she needs without requiring anything in return. I hope that's the case.

To be fair, this mother seems to be fairly run-of-the-mill deeply religious, Christian homeschooler, from her blog. She has clearly fallen deep for some sort of essential oils MLM scheme, and it appears much of her life centers around attending conferences for that. But, other than that, she doesn't seem particularly nutty.

She's also posted about the "True Women" conferences and wanting her daughters to be those types of women (stay home, make babies, support their husband, etc.) I would guess that might have something to do with the daughter wanting to leave.

ugh!!! I just saw a video that her dad posted on twitter and here is the link to it on utube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezZs2rT-FEA

I'll say what I said there.. It's Creepy the whole thing is Creepy!

It was posted on twitter from someecards and they have their own blog response, but I don't think I can post that here since it's not msm?right?

Anyway, it's still creepy.

The dad being an Attorney, should have had all these ducks in a row for his children. If the older adult children could get their DL why did he not go ahead and get things for this young lady too.

He tells her, well get a passport??????

Still Creepy to me!!

How does he think she's going to get a passport without a birth certificate?!

None of this should be a challenge for her or any of her siblings.

She can get a birth certificate. It just takes a little longer. My dad had a similar problem with his. Then she can get an SS number, then a driver's license. She will be just fine.

If her parents have been filing US federal income tax returns and claiming her as an exemption,
her Soc Sec No. was required on 1040 or equivalent (subject to some exceptions and delays noted below). Ditto their other kids.

"Social Security Numbers for Dependents
You must show the social security number (SSN) of any dependent for whom you claim an exemption in column (2) of line 6c of your Form 1040 or Form 1040A. If you do not show the dependent's SSN when required or if you show an incorrect SSN, the exemption may be disallowed.
[URL="http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf"]www.irs.gov[/URL]/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf. page 36.

Seems unlikely, imo, that taxpaying couple filed returns for years on end w/out providing SSNs for kids.
Also seems unlikely, imo, that couple would not list kids and would skip benefits of multiple exemptions.
Maybe they have not been filing fed returns IDK, not saying it is so, just hypothetical.
Possible she was not issued a SSN. Who knows?

________________________________________________________________________________________________
From same link, other possibly irrelevant info re SSNs.
"No SSN.
If a person for whom you expect to claim an exemption on your return does not have an SSN, either you or that person should apply for an SSN as soon as possible by filing Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, with the Social Security Administration (SSA). You can get Form SS-5 online at
www.socialsecurity.gov or at your local SSA office. It usually takes about 2 weeks to get an SSN once the SSA has all the information it needs. If you do not have a required SSN by the filing due date, you can file Form 4868 for an extension of time to file."
"Born and died in 2014.
If your child was born and died in 2014, and you do not have an SSN for the child, you may attach a copy of the child's birth certificate, death certificate, or hospital records instead. The document must show the child was born alive. If you do this, enter “DIED” in column (2) of line 6c of your Form 1040 or Form 1040A.
"Alien or adoptee with no SSN.
If your dependent does not have and cannot get an SSN, you must list the individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) or adoption taxpayer identification number (ATIN) instead of an SSN.
"Taxpayer identification numbers for aliens.
If your dependent is a resident or nonresident alien who does not have and is not eligible to get an SSN, your dependent must apply for an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). For details on how to apply, see Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.
"Taxpayer identification numbers for adoptees. If you have a child who was placed with you by an authorized placement agency, you may be able to claim an exemption for the child. However, if you cannot get an SSN or an ITIN for the child, you must get an adoption taxpayer identification number (ATIN) for the child from the IRS. See Form W-7A, Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending US Adoptions for details
.".

Interesting. The Dad claims to be an attorney and signed a post with "James Tax Law". Makes me wonder.

Either that or it's a fake report. Something doesn't add up.

I agree. They are getting their money from somewhere and have to report it to the state and federal revenue services and SS #'s are now issued at birth and must be included on the return. I mistakenly filed the wrong SS # for our daughter a couple of years ago and all deductions tied to her were rejected. Going through an audit is not a pleasant experience.

JMO

From OP: "Pennington says her birth in Texas wasn't registered"
If she was born in Texas, I wonder if she has tried this. http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/vs/delayed/

"Delayed Certificate of Birth Registration
If a birth occurring in this state is not officially registered within the first year, a Delayed Certificate of Birth may be requested through the Texas Vital Statistics office.
The procedures for filing a Delayed Certificate of Birth: ....
3. ....When accepted for filing, the Delayed Certificate of Birth form (VS-122) will become the original birth certificate.
4. Supporting Documentation must be verified by Vital Statistics staff, sometimes with outside entities such as schools, churches, etc. Because of this requirement, the processing time generally takes 8 to 10 weeks.....". b
bm

"Suggested types of supporting documents must show name, date of birth, and place of birth."
"Birth Certificate of Adult Children (18 years or older)
School Enrollment Record/Transcript
Military Discharge Record (DD214)
Marriage or Divorce Records
*Social Security Application (Do not send the Social Security Card)
*Baptismal Certificate Original
Selective Service Record
Voter's Registration Application
Hospital Record
Application for Driver's License
Application for State Issued ID
*Affidavit of Birth Facts (sent with the Delayed Certificate packet) Signed by a parent, grandparent, or older brother or sister. " bbm

Imo, looks like it would be difficult to get these kinds of doc's without parents' assistance.

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/vs/delayed/15older.shtm.
"Delayed Certificate of Birth Registration For Children 15 Years of Age or Older
For a child between the ages 15 years and older:

1. The Delayed Certificate of Birth (VS-122) signed by the individual, if competent and 18 years old or over; otherwise by a parent, legal guardian, or legal representative; and
  2. Three (3) or more documents are required to prove date of birth and place of birth. One of these records must verify parents' names. Any record, other than an affidavit, must be five (5) years old or older. At least one document should have been created within 10 years of birth.". bbm

An attorney will immensely help sorting this out.

I've been thru this with our internationally adopted child. Couldn't get a SSN until the formal citizenship documents arrived, and couldn't get a state birth certificate till we had the citizenship papers and court papers, and couldn't get a passport till we had all of the above. Our child traveled on a foreign passport with American visa, that was only good for one trip here. Adopted kids are American citizens as soon as the plane is wheels down in the first port of entry in the U.S., but establishing the paperwork after, even with all the pre-approvals from USCIS, etc, takes weeks to months.

One of my kids was a home birth. Our midwife could not file paperwork to initiate the birth certificate, or SSN. (We were told this is a state law to prevent fraud.)We had to bring our child in person, both parents, along with the midwife's certification, in order to initiate the state birth certificate.

My father in law was an agronomist, and one of the magazines he had around the house is called "Countryside and Small Stock Journal". It's a homesteading magazine publication, and has many articles, comments, and requests, from parents, kids, and teens who proudly state they are "homeschooled, no birth certificate, no SSN" looking for pen pals, etc. I think this is more common than anyone knows.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back