UK - Canary theft 'devastates' New Forest pensioner

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
(with a tip o' the hat to badhorsie on FB)

100 canaries stolen from pensioner’s garden shed

A pensioner has been left devastated after heartless thieves stole dozens of his award-winning canaries.

Bill Drayton, 77, went to check on his beloved birds yesterday morning only to find the majority had been stolen from the shed in his garden.

The retired builder, who has had canaries since he was a young child, said: “I had roughly 100 and there was only a handful left.

“They have taken all of the nice ones."
---
Mr Drayton said: “They vary in price – some of them are worth £100, some are worth £50.”

Collectively the stolen birds, which included one he bought on Sunday, are worth thousands of pounds.
---
More at Bournemouth Echo link above.

I'm wondering if it was someone who broke in and let the canaries loose. In the comments section a person says they found one flying loose near their home (they have it inside warming up in their house) wants Mr Dayton to contact. If they did let them loose the canaries will die in the cold.

I used to raise canaries, but my aviary was in the basement. I know theft happens but also there are kids who would let the birds loose too. So many people (in the comments below the article) think the birds should be flying free and then a canary was found free in the area makes me wonder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back