The Wall Phone

capps

Reaction score
While looking up something in DOI to respond to someone in another thread,I found something that might seem interesting.

In a very short paragraph of about eight lines,Patsy is retelling how she called the police and friends on 12/26:

Standing next to the WALL phone,I instantly dial 911,and try to make the voice on the other end of the line understand. It is as if she doesn't believe what I am saying. I slam the phone back into it's CRADLE on the WALL. Got to have someone here,I think. I dial the Fernes'number. "We need help!" I scream."Please come over here!" I take another deep breath and grab the phone again from it's CRADLE,dialing the Whites this time."JonBenet's missing!" I yell into the phone. "Please get over here. We need you!" I hang up immediately and slump against the WALL.

(Words bolded are mine.)

I get the distinct feeling that Patsy is drilling into our heads that she is using a WALL phone and not a cell phone.

Was this done because of the no calls recorded for December on the cell phone debacle? Or am I reading too much into this?

I noticed this also. I think she's trying to infer that Burke cannot be on the tape because she SLAMMED the reciever back into the cradle. That was my take anyway.

Possibly, although there has never been any suggestion (even before the Burke's voice controversy started) that she called from any phone other than the wall one. Don't know if Boulder 911 had automatic caller ID but I think in 1996 that could only be done from a landline.

capps said:
I get the distinct feeling that Patsy is drilling into our heads that she is using a WALL phone and not a cell phone.
Was this done because of the no calls recorded for December on the cell phone debacle? Or am I reading too much into this?

I've said all along that DOI seems to be written in order to explain the
"evidence" or at least accusations against the Ramseys. I immediately thought that the wall phone and placing it into the cradle was stated to "explain" that Burke couldn't have possibly been on the 911 tape because after all, the phone was "placed back into its cradle".

I haven't read DOI in awhile now, but there are lots of situations in it that seem to be "explaining". That's why I'd like to read Patsy's interview about the scarf being placed in the casket. In my opinion, she answers the questions w/out being asked.

A former member here called Cutter posted an interesting theory about JonBenet having been strangled with a telephone cord. He posted photos which showed how marks on her neck could correspond to the curly telephone cord. It was a compelling theory and one I'd like to read again - alas, Cutter didn't post it on his website as far as I'm aware and he appears to have left the forums.

Regarding Patsy's apparent attempt to enorce the notion that she placed the phone back on the cradle .... I have always interpreted that as a response to the accusations that she DIDN'T place it back on the cradle properly - thus allowing for a conversation between patsy, John and Burke to be recorded!

Good sleuthing here. Something that I wonder is did PR really call 911 first. Since it appears on the 'Order Of Appearance' thread that I started that the BPD came about the same time as Fernie, the first one to arrive. I do think then that White was called after the 911 call was made.

White by all the thinking I am doing should have been the FIRST person to arrive since he only lived two doors away.

Why didn't they call White first? Boy if MY best friend lived two doors away, and the note said, Don't call the PD, I just might have called my best friend for advice and HELP.

I am thinking that since Whites little girl hid and he went immediately looking for her, and Ramseys had heard that little story. They figured White would start his hunting right away, and FIND JonBenet BEFORE the BPD got there, huh, er, hmmm.

Jayelles said:
A former member here called Cutter posted an interesting theory about JonBenet having been strangled with a telephone cord. He posted photos which showed how marks on her neck could correspond to the curly telephone cord. It was a compelling theory and one I'd like to read again - alas, Cutter didn't post it on his website as far as I'm aware and he appears to have left the forums.

Regarding Patsy's apparent attempt to enorce the notion that she placed the phone back on the cradle .... I have always interpreted that as a response to the accusations that she DIDN'T place it back on the cradle properly - thus allowing for a conversation between patsy, John and Burke to be recorded!

She also said that Burke was not in the vicinity of the phone.

Camper said:
White by all the thinking I am doing should have been the FIRST person to arrive since he only lived two doors away.

Fleet and his family did not live two doors away in 1996. He used to live two doors away, but that was in 1994 and before, when he rented the house from the owner, a Brad Griffin who bought it in 1993. I am not surprised Fleet moved out of the 15th Street house fairly quickly. It appears that he moved into it temporarily when the family left California for good, and soon found it too small, as his son and daughter were growing fast and it was only a two-bedroom house. Fleet bought the house he lives in to this day in November of 1994, and it is a little more than a mile away from the former Ramsey house.

Here is an interesting little factoid. Much has been made of Fleet's complaint that when he and Priscilla were being made to stay at Rod Westmoreland's house for the Georgia funeral, Fleet complained that the Westmorelands and their house was too much excess for him. I am now very unsurprised by this statement.

Does anyone here have any idea how big the Westmoreland's house is?

Fleet's house is around 2,000 square feet.

The Ramsey house was around 6,000 square feet, and was considered to have a rather large and complicated floor plan.

John Ramsey's good friend, Rod Westmoreland, has a house that is

FIFTEEN THOUSAND SQUARE FEET.

Hardly an environment where a person such as Fleet would feel privileged to be among intimate acquaintances at such a stressful time for everyone. With a house that big, Fleet and Priscilla probably got to see the maids more often than their Boulder friends.

Thank you for the rap along side my head. I do remember that my friend in Boulder area looked up the property records about the White house down the block, a number of years ago. As I NOW recall at the time of the murder the house was sitting empty. Am I now remembering correctly about that?

I remember Cutters comparison of the phone cord and marks on JonBenets neck. At that time I was still fond of my thoughts about extreme pressure being applied to JonBenets carotid artery area of her neck to stop convulsions, thereby causing the large injury look to one side of her neck.

At that time I had posted the link describing the technique and the surgery that could be done on the carotid artery in that area of the neck to stop convulsions in children with health problems that cause convulsions. I am still rather fond of that. I do believe that that technique may have been taught to Navy Seals.

Commando and Army Ranger training is given dealing with quick killing applying pressure to certain parts of the neck. This I learned from my oldest son who was in the Rangers. It would be possible in my thinking process that the pressure technique could have been learned by reading a medical journal about the surgical technique for stopping convulsions with the manual pressure technique.

Now then IF the killer had caused JonBenet to have convulsions using the AE device, it could be also possible that the pressure technique 'might' have been used to STOP the convulsions. I don't know how the ME would have made his report any differenly if my theory might accidentally be correct.

None the less JonBenet is dead, and the killer is still enjoying their own freedom at least physically if NOT mentally. The memory lingers for the killer I would suspect.

Phones of all sorts I do believe played a BIG role in that nights events.

Quite some house, Why_Nutt.

capps said:
I slam the phone back into it's CRADLE on the WALL.

I doubt very much that Patsy "slammed" the phone back into the cradle. When a phone is slammed into its cradle the physical impact can usually be clearly heard at the opposite end of the line before the electrical disconnect takes place. There was no such noise on the 911 tape.

IMO Patsy abruptly ended the conversation of the 911 call by placing one hand over the mouthpiece and taking four seconds to walk over to the cradle on the wall to hang up the phone. Her hand was on the mouthpiece, but Patsy didn't know that the uncovered earpiece on the phone can also transmit voices, albeit at a much lower effeciency. During that four-second walk the earpiece picked up the four seconds of conversation among Patsy, John, and Burke. The voices were barely able to be heard on the tape because they were being transmitted by the phone's inefficient earpiece, not its mouthpiece. The voices sounded far away, but they weren't.

Burke was obviously standing right next to his mother as she made the 911 call. Those enhanced four seconds proved all three Ramseys lied about Burke's whereabouts during the 911 call.

BlueCrab

BlueCrab said:
I doubt very much that Patsy "slammed" the phone back into the cradle. When a phone is slammed into its cradle the physical impact can usually be clearly heard at the opposite end of the line before the electrical disconnect takes place. There was no such noise on the 911 tape.

IMO Patsy abruptly ended the conversation of the 911 call by placing one hand over the mouthpiece and taking four seconds to walk over to the cradle on the wall to hang up the phone. Her hand was on the mouthpiece, but Patsy didn't know that the uncovered earpiece on the phone can also transmit voices, albeit at a much lower effeciency. During that four-second walk the earpiece picked up the four seconds of conversation among Patsy, John, and Burke. The voices were barely able to be heard on the tape because they were being transmitted by the phone's inefficient earpiece, not its mouthpiece. The voices sounded far away, but they weren't.

Burke was obviously standing right next to his mother as she made the 911 call. Those enhanced four seconds proved all three Ramseys lied about Burke's whereabouts during the 911 call.

BlueCrab
I would LOVE to be able to believe this however, I have never heard the "enhanced" last 4 seconds. If you can link me to it, terrific.

Knowing what I know about LE & FBI wire tapped telephone conversations, I will remain skeptical until I hear it for myself.

It doesn't matter if Patsy slammed the phone back into the cradle, or gently placed it there. It was a wall phone, for Pete's sake. Either it hangs up, or gravity would cause it to fall on the floor in a clatter. The point is, the phone was hung up, and Burke's voice is not on that tape.

No phone cord was used to strangle JBR----the white cord was still imbedded in her neck--no question as to what was used to strangle her.

I didn't know Westmoreland's house was l5,000 sf...interesting. Fleet and Priscilla don't appear pretentious to me....sometimes those that have it, don't flaunt it.

BlueCrab said:

BlueCrab

BlueCrab,

Welcome back stranger!

What you say may possibly be true,but also possibly not,because they won't let the public hear that clear enhanced tape! Dammit! (Ooops,did I say that out loud?)

Don't we have the right to hear it under the Freedom Act . After all,if true,it would only show that BR was down stairs and not sleeping,it wouldn't prove that he murdered JB. Of course it would prove that the Ramsey's were lying ... but all they would have to say is that they didn't want Burke involved since he was only 9 yrs. old,that can be believable.

Since you never heard it,how can you be so certain,without a doubt that it's there.

Sorry BC,can't even consider that one,until we can hear it ... I think most posters here feel the same way.

Quote by Why_nutt:

Hardly an environment where a person such as Fleet would feel privileged to be among intimate acquaintances at such a stressful time for everyone. With a house that big, Fleet and Priscilla probably got to see the maids more often than their Boulder friends.

That whole scenerio with Fleet that day is a sore spot with me.
People in Atlanta opened up their homes to people coming in from Boulder,some thing they did not have to do.How dare Fleet feel insulted by staying in a very beautiful home.But more important ... no matter what was bothering Fleet that day,there is a time and place to vent your feelings,and I feel the day JonBenet was being buried was not the time or place.

Shame on Fleet for showing such bad judgement.

capps said:
What you say may possibly be true,but also possibly not,because they won't let the public hear that clear enhanced tape!

Don't we have the right to hear it under the Freedom Act .

capps,

The professionally enhanced (by Aerospace Corporation) four seconds of the 911 tape are not clear but can be understood. I'm confident the voices of John, Patsy, and Burke are on there. They can be heard even on amateur enhancements of the tape, although almost impossible to understand what the three distinct voices are saying on the amateur tapes.

The professionally enhanced four seconds, and a lot of other important evidence in this case, cannot be released to the public under freedom of information statutes because Boulder authorities insist the case is still under an ongoing investigation -- which of course, as we all know, is a crock of doo doo. There's no active investigation, and there's not a single penny in the budget for an active investigation.

IMO it's time to challenge in court much of the withheld Ramsey evidence in an attempt to get it released to the public. The brazen conspiratorial coverup of the truth among Boulder authorities, the court, and the media, shouldn't be allowed to continue any further. In addition to the Ramseys, I wonder who's REALLY being protected by this coverup?

BlueCrab

BlueCrab said:
capps,

The professionally enhanced (by Aerospace Corporation) four seconds of the 911 tape are not clear but can be understood. I'm confident the voices of John, Patsy, and Burke are on there. They can be heard even on amateur enhancements of the tape, although almost impossible to understand what the three distinct voices are saying on the amateur tapes.

The professionally enhanced four seconds, and a lot of other important evidence in this case, cannot be released to the public under freedom of information statutes because Boulder authorities insist the case is still under an ongoing investigation -- which of course, as we all know, is a crock of doo doo. There's no active investigation, and there's not a single penny in the budget for an active investigation.

IMO it's time to challenge in court much of the withheld Ramsey evidence in an attempt to get it released to the public. The brazen conspiratorial coverup of the truth among Boulder authorities, the court, and the media, shouldn't be allowed to continue any further. In addition to the Ramseys, I wonder who's REALLY being protected by this coverup?

BlueCrab

BlueCrab,

"crock of doo doo" ....watch your language BC!! lol.

Since Fleet so vehemently showed he didn't care for the way the investigation has been handled,I'm surprised he's not challenging it in court!

capps said:
Quote by Why_nutt:

That whole scenerio with Fleet that day is a sore spot with me.
People in Atlanta opened up their homes to people coming in from Boulder,some thing they did not have to do.How dare Fleet feel insulted by staying in a very beautiful home.But more important ... no matter what was bothering Fleet that day,there is a time and place to vent your feelings,and I feel the day JonBenet was being buried was not the time or place.

Shame on Fleet for showing such bad judgement.
I agree. It doesn't matter whether the house was too big or too small. It wasn't about him, it was about burying the murdered daughter of his close friends.

Who does he think he is - Goldilocks?

capps said:
Since Fleet so vehemently showed he didn't care for the way the investigation has been handled,I'm surprised he's not challenging it in court!

capps,

Fleet White doesn't consider courtrooms his cup of tea. Haven't you noticed how Fleet politely turns down invitations to attend these gatherings, and how mad they get when he fails to show?

However, IMO Fleet White and Priscilla know who killed JonBenet. The Ramseys know the Whites know, and that's what is behind the smear campaign the Ramseys have been engaged in -- trying to make the Whites appear to have been behaving strangely. It won't work. IMO Fleet has the evidence and will make his court appearances when and if needed. The court gag order on the case also keeps him in check for now.

BlueCrab

Wellllll, IF 'the' Ramsey wall phone was an 'olde' one, it is possible to hang it up slightly crooked and it not be totally HUNG UP. IF the person on the other end is still on line they can hear EVERYTHING. Being olde myself, I have dealt with a LOT of olde wall phones.

Do WE have a picture of the 'wall' phone in question?

IF it had a slightly protruding rounded cradle about 3/4 of an inch this is the type of phone that can NOT be hung up totally and still be hanging there looking like it was. This easily happens if the person is not directly in 'front' of the actual telephone. Since it was an olde house, they may not have replaced an olde wall phone. Might have gotten a NEW cord but not a NEW phone. OR might have gotten a NEW olde phone that looked sparky new.

The fixture plate that holds an olde wall phone is quite large, and quick solution to make it disappear if you remove it totally is to just hang a picture over the ugly plate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back