NY NY - ALEX MENGEL, 1980's

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Murder of Westchester cop 30 years ago may have been work of serial killer
Posted 9:44 PM, February 16, 2015, by Mary Murphy, Updated at 07:23am, February 17, 2015

[...]

Now, 30 years later, the two writers—McMurray and Paul–have dug up information indicating Alex Mengel was likely connected to the abduction and murder of a 12-year-old Queens girl in July 1984. They are also intrigued by the photos of five teenage schoolgirls found in Mengel’s car when it was discovered in the Bronx. The pictures were inside his wallet.

“They found some photographs of young women and also a map,” writer Kevin F. McMurray told PIX11 News. “And nobody seems to know them. We know there’s at least six women that have never been accounted for.”

[...]

McMurray and Paul have done extensive research for the book. They gained access to Westchester police documents in the Stymiloski case and learned of a possible Mengel connection to the kidnapping of 12-year-old Antonella Mattina on July 16, 1984, near a Citibank in Flushing, Queens.

[...]
After Mengel’s arrest was splashed across newspaper headlines in early March 1985, a witness contacted the 109 Precinct in Flushing and told investigators he had seen Mengel with Antonella Mattina on the day she vanished, the summer before.

[...]
A larger question the authors hope to answer: Who are the teen girls in the wallet-sized photos? They’re hoping the Internet will help them find some clues.

http://pix11.com/2015/02/16/murder-...ears-ago-may-have-been-work-of-serial-killer/

From 1985:

[...]
Alex Mengel, 30, a Guyanese-born tool-and-die maker, was returning home from a weekend of target shooting in the Catskill Mountains when a Westchester County, N.Y., police officer made the mistake of pulling him over. Noting spent shotgun shells in Mengel's car, the officer radioed for assistance. But before help could come, Mengel allegedly killed him with a single bullet to the head and fled on foot.

Investigators believe that a day later Mengel abducted Beverly Capone, a 44- year-old mother, as she was leaving her job as a data processor at an IBM facility nearby. Using Capone's car as his getaway vehicle, Mengel headed for the Canadian border.
http://murderpedia.org/male.M/m/mengel-alex.htm

[...]
The State Police Superintendent, Donald O. Chesworth, gave this account:

''While proceeding south on the Taconic State Parkway, Mengel struggled with a state police investigator in an attempt to obtain control over the investigator's firearm.

''Another state police investigator, who was driving the automobile, fired one shot which struck and killed Mengel.''

[...]
The Mengel case assumed a bizarre character when the Toronto police found a woman's scalp in the car Mr. Mengel was driving when he was arrested. They surmised that Mr. Mengel had sought to disguise himself as a woman crossing the border. Greene County authorities said that discovery of Mrs. Capone's body revealed that she had been scalped.
http://www.nytimes.com/1985/04/27/n...ct-dies-in-struggle-with-state-policemen.html

Thread for Antonella Mattina in Cold Cases
NY - Antonella Mattina, 12, Queens, July 1984 - body found Dec 1987

Thanks, Epiphany! Here's a screencap of the girls' photos from the linked video. Could these be yearbook pictures?

kewnYZh.jpg

http://on.aol.com/video/was-the-mur...rs-ago-the-work-of-a-serial-killer--518656302

Screencap of the map near Harrisburg, PA

g4FM0op.jpg

PqPCvc9.jpg

I zoomed in a bit here. Looks like two x's just below Honey Grove, and maybe one in the upper left corner near Lewistown. Not sure about that one.

A very interesting (possible) lead for some of the cold cases in PA and northern NJ. Syracuse to Harrisburg uses rt 81, Harrisburg to Bronx should be rt 78 but rt 80 is not out of the question. There are a few JDs in these areas.

It looks like he was loose in the US from Nov '76 to March '85.

I did a quick map of his 'range' that I could find out about. In the same years he was here I know of three Jane Does in there: Beth Doe, Princess Doe and High Point State Park Doe. I'm sure there are more but these are ones I'm aware of.

Beth would have been about a month after he got here and HP State Park Doe's description doesn't sound like any of the photos. Perhaps Princess could be one of those photos though.

Amengel.jpg

That girl on the bottom right looks a bit like Princess Doe's reconstruction.

princessdoe.jpg

I'm bumping these faces again. Who are they?

An article about an upcoming book by authors Kevin F. McMurray and David Paul, Unearthing a Serial Killer, prompted me to start this thread back in February. Having just finished reading the book, I'd highly recommend it to anyone who'd like to learn more about the despicable acts of the vile creature known as Alex Mengel.

The ruthless, cold blooded murders of admirable Westchester County Officer Gary Stymiloski -- and the beloved, hard working mother from Mount Vernon, Beverly Capone -- are not a mystery. But what about the teens depicted in photos found to have been in Mengel's possession? And what about the precious victim from Flushing, Queens, Antonella Mattina? Could the animal Alex Mengel -- and possibly his brother Gustav -- be responsible for the disappearances/murders of these girls and others?

Who are the faces?

kewnYZh.jpg

Wondering if anyone has read Unearthing a Serial Killer by Paul and McMurray? They linked Alex Mengel and his brother Gustav to Antonella Mattina's abduction. There's a Det. Anthony Lombardi mentioned as the lead investigator, who apparently solved the case years later. I believe his son has posted on here. I'd like to hear his thoughts along w/ the retired Police Officer, Hacksaw, who posted on it as well after the pix 11 segment

Wondering if anyone has read Unearthing a Serial Killer by Paul and McMurray? They linked Alex Mengel and his brother Gustav to Antonella Mattina's abduction. There's a Det. Anthony Lombardi mentioned as the lead investigator, who apparently solved the case years later. I believe his son has posted on here. I'd like to hear his thoughts along w/ the retired Police Officer, Hacksaw, who posted on it as well after the pix 11 segment
And made a very convincing argument for it. I posted about it in Antonella's thread the other night.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...4-body-found-Dec-1987&p=12048332#post12048332

I just finished reading the book, so much information and so many more questions that are left unanswered by the original people responsible for investigating. Cant imagine that so many loose ends would be left without investigating at the time. If it weren't for the book tying a lot of it together maybe it would have appeared solved to those trying to close the cases they were personally responsible for, unfortunately when you look at the big picture of the people involved... especially Alex Mengel's brother, Gustav. Gustav is now a registered sex offender whom I cant imagine not being involved with the death of Antonella Mattina and other women who's pictures were found in Alex Mengel's car! To anyone interested in the case I suggest reading the book!

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Unearthing-Serial-Killer-David-Paul-ebook/dp/B014SGR6P8

http://www.unearthingaserialkiller.com [/URL]

I remember when the original photos were plastered in the newspapers.. I still cant believe that in this day and age and with everyone putting up all their old photos up on facebook and other sites nobody has been able to recognize any of these girls.. Could they have even been from another country?? Its so weird that nobody has stepped up to say oh I went to school with such and such or she lived across the street or anything...
I'm bumping these faces again. Who are they? Does anyone know where he worked.. could they have been outs from a photo lab? they all look like HS photos.

An article about an upcoming book by authors Kevin F. McMurray and David Paul, Unearthing a Serial Killer, prompted me to start this thread back in February. Having just finished reading the book, I'd highly recommend it to anyone who'd like to learn more about the despicable acts of the vile creature known as Alex Mengel.

The ruthless, cold blooded murders of admirable Westchester County Officer Gary Stymiloski -- and the beloved, hard working mother from Mount Vernon, Beverly Capone -- are not a mystery. But what about the teens depicted in photos found to have been in Mengel's possession? And what about the precious victim from Flushing, Queens, Antonella Mattina? Could the animal Alex Mengel -- and possibly his brother Gustav -- be responsible for the disappearances/murders of these girls and others?

Who are the faces?

kewnYZh.jpg

The five pictures of the mystery girls appear to be professionally done portraits. Note the background, the nicely done hair and makeup and the perfect smile without any facial shadows. The are very likely high school yearbook pictures. How would a serial killer get hold of yearbook pics any other professional photos of his victims?

The five pictures of the mystery girls appear to be professionally done portraits. Note the background, the nicely done hair and makeup and the perfect smile without any facial shadows. The are very likely high school yearbook pictures. How would a serial killer get hold of yearbook pics any other professional photos of his victims?

Yes Kemo, This is what I had thought about also, like he worked with a school photographer or at a lab..I wish there was more information on him as a timeline of where he worked and where.. I also read something somewhere (i have to find where the info was) that his brother had photos also

Mengel was pulled over on a minor traffic violation and ended up killing a policeman and a woman who was an easy target to steal a getaway car. He was not wanted for anything and there was no apparent evidence of any crime in his vehicle or at his home. It is reasonable to speculate that he thought he was in serious trouble but we really don't know what he was thinking.

There is no doubt he was a really bad guy. Besides the two murders he committed in the days before he was killed, he was violent to his wife and children. Was he a Serial killer? The hard evidence doesn't seem to be there.

After his murders and death, he got a lot of media attention. His face was all over NY media. Someone came forward claiming that he saw someone who looked like Mengel with a girl who looked like Antonella Mattina ( who's disappearance was a big new story 8 months earlier). Mengel's brother lived near where she disappeared and where the guy claims to have seen her. A sighting like that could be a vital lead or it could just be one of the hundreds of nuisance reports that come during high profile cases. At the time, Mengel was not a serious suspect. Mengel had the collection of photos shown in earlier posts but are they really murder victims?

The Antonella Mattina thread (see link above) has a lot of information include posts from a couple of detectives on the case. The was a Prime Suspect that they tend to doubt was involved but they were not aware of Mengel at the time.

Mengel's brother Gustov was later convicted of child molesting and is A RSO but there is no evidence he has killed anybody.

I have not read the McMurry-Paul book. Apparently they make a good case that Mengel was a creepy guy who had a lot of traits common to a Serial Killer but they don't have a smoking gun.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back