GUILTY IN - Danzele Johnson, 21, fatally shot by homeowner, Elkhart, 3 Oct 2012

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-125834284.html

The felony-murder rule has been around since the 1800s. It originated from legislation and by statute in the US. While the rule has always been controversial, I have not read any Supreme Court or US District Court excusing someone from the rule because they attempted to flee during the felony attempt. It will be interesting to see if the Indiana court decides to hear the case.

What did they think might happen when they broke into the home? This case drives me crazy.

http://www.elkharttruth.com/news/cr...ernational-coverage-of-Elkhart-Four-case.html

In an episode of MTV’s “One Bad Choice” that aired Wednesday night, Levi Sparks of Elkhart says that hanging out with the wrong crowd landed him in prison...

Sparks, Blake Layman, Anthony Sharp and Jose Quiroz are serving 45-year prison sentences on charges of felony murder for their involvement in a 2012 attempted burglary on Frances Avenue that ended in the death of their accomplice, 21-year-old Danzele Johnson...

The Indiana Court of Appeals ruled that the sentences for three defendants were “inappropriate” in September and ordered that they be reduced.

ABC’s “Nightline Prime” aired a show in July 2014 examining the case. On the show, a law professor from Northwestern University called the felony murder charges “overkill.”

Thanks for posting this article. I didn't realize MTV did a documentary about it. I live near Elkhart and I can say everything I read locally shows that the general population is in favor of their sentences. There is so much crime around here (mostly caused by drugs) and I think people have had enough of it.

I'll check out this show.

I watched the Dr Phil episode when they were on and I get parents defending but they took it to a whole new level. He also had on experts who said the sentence was excessive and I think he may have too. People don't think of things like this when they break the law but afterwards cry and complain. don't do illegal things and you have no consequences to suffer.

I hope they don't strike down that law. I think it is a good deterrent. And I do think the other robbers are culpable if one of them dies in the act of doing the crime.

What if the homeowner had died---would they all be culpable then? I say yes. So why is it any different if one of them dies during the home invasion?

I hope they don't strike down that law. I think it is a good deterrent. And I do think the other robbers are culpable if one of them dies in the act of doing the crime.

What if the homeowner had died---would they all be culpable then? I say yes. So why is it any different if one of them dies during the home invasion?

well the primary difference would be that the homeowner is not a willing participant in the incident.

In an episode of MTV’s “One Bad Choice” that aired Wednesday night, Levi Sparks of Elkhart says that hanging out with the wrong crowd landed him in prison...

No robbing a home got him in prison....

Just out of curiosity to see where they are now. They all ended up serving a sentence for burglary.

This article is dated Feb. 11, 2016. Sparks was released earlier that month. Layman was expected to be released in a few months. Sharp had conduct issues and was expected to still be in until sometime in 2017. Quiroz's guilty plea ended up being a 10 yr sentence. His DOC release date was 04/25/2019.

Court docs show a couple of folks learned their lesson and a couple did not.

'Elkhart 4' member sentence reduced from 45 years to 10

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back