GUILTY South Africa - Newborn stolen from hospital found, 17 years later

zwiebel

Reaction score
Last month, a young girl, Cassidy Nurse, started attending a new school in Cape Town, South Africa. Classmates noticed a remarkable resemblance between her and a former pupil who had now moved on to a school for older girls.

Cassidy and her two siblings had grown up with a family tragedy; their newborn eldest sister had been stolen from a maternity hospital, in 1997. Each year they celebrated their missing sister's birthday and just last year, their mother gave a media interview saying she'd never given up hope of finding her lost daughter. She was right not to. :)

An astonishing coincidence has led to the discovery of Zephany Nurse – stolen from her mother’s arms in Groote Schuur Hospital as a newborn 17 years ago.

A DNA test has confirmed that Zephany, now in matric at a Cape Town school, is the daughter of Celeste and Morné Nurse, who lost their three-day-old daughter when she was snatched from her sleeping mother’s arms in her hospital bed in April 1997.

The Nurses also noticed the resemblance, and after gentle questioning, informed police of their suspicions. The results of the DNA test have confirmed that Zephany Nurse, missing for 17 years, was growing up just a few streets from her biological family for all these years. A 50-year-old woman will appear in court in Cape Town, faced with kidnapping charges, later today.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/stolen-baby-found-17-years-later-1.1824397#.VPAKcHtwbMI

Attachments

• 4144795968.jpg
    4144795968.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 263
..family member, Gavin Carolus, took to Facebook: "Today is our day as a family when we will be meeting our lost child."

Psychotherapist Coletta Canale said everyone involved would need professional help to help them reunite.

"The young lady may have had a bond with the 'kidnapper'. [Zephany] may have to grapple with intense feelings," said Canale.

The photo shows the Nurse family celebrating.

http://m.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/?articleId=14106911

Attachments

• 1186084_984605.jpg
    1186084_984605.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 268
The court hearing for the woman accused is happening right now, but it's been delayed because her attorney hasn't shown up. Stolen daughter Zephany is there, 'looking perplexed'.

Annika Larsen (@AnnikaLarsen1) tweeted at 8:35am - 27 Feb 15:

#ZephanyNurse Accused is Livona Solomon. She has appeared briefly but matter remanded as her attorney is late @eNCAnews (https://twitter.com/AnnikaLarsen1/status/571211985037230080?s=17)

The reporter who's tweeting says there was a really dramatic moment in court as Livona Solomon, the accused, was led back down to the cells and Zephany's bio dad stared at her fiercely, trying to get her to look him in the eye.

Annika Larsen (@AnnikaLarsen1) tweeted at 8:46am - 27 Feb 15:

#ZephanyNurse My colleague @Percyoung is in court too. Says accuseds husband is here. He is said to be heartbroken.* @eNCAnews (https://twitter.com/AnnikaLarsen1/status/571214848731828224?s=17)

This is sounding like the husband hasn't been charged and, unbelievably, didn't know his wife had stolen 'their' baby?

The hearing is taking place at Cape Town Magistrate's Court, by the way.

So many lives broken by this mess. The poor teen will be so confused. She probably loves the parents who raised her. What a tragedy.

I am confused by the family photo. I assume the 2 sisters are the youngest ones hugging each other in the doorway, both in white tops, and head bands. Funny, because they don't look that much alike, to me. I mean from the story it sounded like they looked so much alike that everyone just knew they must be sisters. But they do resemble each other, kind of, I guess...lol

I am confused by the family photo. I assume the 2 sisters are the youngest ones hugging each other in the doorway, both in white tops, and head bands. Funny, because they don't look that much alike, to me. I mean from the story it sounded like they looked so much alike that everyone just knew they must be sisters. But they do resemble each other, kind of, I guess...lol

I'm not sure Zephany is in that photo, or if she has even been reunited with all her family yet. That pic was taken outside the bio family home, but it may just be members of the extended family. I haven't found any articles with a photo of a grown up Zephany on her own yet. Maybe some will appear after court this morning.

From what I saw of the Oscar Pistorius and Dewani trials in South Africa, I don't think this accused will be remanded in custody, myself.

The judge has said no photos of Zephany are to be printed as she is still a minor. I guess that technically means all the SA media stations running pics of her as a newborn are now in breach of a court order?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back