Did the Ramseys offer Darnay a settlement?

Barbara

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
According to Candy, over at Purgatory, Darnay was the only one of all the players who didn't settle with the Ramseys. I won't post the entire post, but I will quote one line: (the post can be seen at Purgatory)

"....He was the ONLY ONE to take on the Ramseys, to take depos, and not settle."

I have asked but can't seem to get an answer. Does anyone know if the Ramseys tried to settle with either LHP or Chris Wolf?

Based on a statement such as the one above, one would have to assume he was offered a settlement and refused.

Does anyone know?

I made my assumption, based on that statement. Maybe I am missing something. What do you make of that statement?

Thanks Candy

I guess that puts that to rest. Darnay can't refuse to settle if one wasn't offered.

So then we can't just say he refused to settle because we really don't know unless there was an offer. I guess the other side knew they didn't even need to make an offer.

I must have misunderstood when you made that statement. What then did you mean?

But thanks for the info.

Darnay made it quite clear to Lin Wood that he had no intention of settling his case, that the was going all the way to prosecute Patsy for murder. They didn't offer a deal because they were told not to bother, he wanted to take his case to a jury.

You have no idea how much Darnay took to get his case to a jury.
So many things Darnay could have complained about to the Judge, he took on the chin so as not to waste time filing motions and get this case to court.

Steve Thomas spent six months in court on a motion for a change of venue. Darnay didn't waste time with such a motion, he filed his case right in the Ramseys back yard, Atlanta, even though Chris lived in Colorado. They didn't want to waste time on such issues. They wanted a trial.

Candy, It is not my intention to argue with you about Darnay. I actually like Darnay and I liked his tenacity with the Ramseys.

My issue with Darnay has nothing to do with the Ramseys. I guess, as with those we consider "friends" or "good guys", we get extremely disappointed when something happens that we disapprove of. That something is Joel Steinberg and the irony of justice for one little girl while Joel Steinberg is taking refuge with Darnay.

I do wish him well with his endeavors with LHP

Please refresh my memory about the outcome of the Wolf situation. Wasn't there a disappointment there, or am I getting it confused with something else?

Darnay made it quite clear to Lin Wood that he had no intention of settling his case, that the was going all the way to prosecute Patsy for murder. They didn't offer a deal because they were told not to bother, he wanted to take his case to a jury.

This statement shows everyone how ignorant and incompetant Darnay really is. You CAN'T TAKE A CIVIL CASE and turn it into a CAPITAL CASE! The moron was going to try and try Patsy for murder in a CIVIL case? Now everyone can see why all his cases were thrown out, and the ONLY one he had in his client's favor (LHP) was overturned.

No, don't bother offering a settlement because everyone knew that it would be thrown out based on Hoffman's ego and incompetance.

Judge Carnes agreed with Darnay's entire premise for defending Chris Wolf against libel charges and for proving actual malice. She knew exactly what he was doing, and agreed with him about the way to prove it. She showed this in both her refusal to grant the Ramseys motion for dismissal of the case, and in her summary judgment opinion, if they had bothered to read either one, which they didn't.

Daniel Petrocelli did exactly what Darnay was trying to do in civil court when he represented Fred Goldman after OJ was acquitted in criminal court and secured a judgement against OJ.

I've noticed a trend in which suspects in criminal case are put on trial in civil court where the burden of proof is lower. I'm not sure this is such a good thing. I think many of those bringing civil suits (Fred Goldman is a good example) are not really interested in recovery for a loss. They are motivated by a desire to "convict" the suspect, even tho there isn't enough evidence to actually do so.

Originally posted by candy
Daniel Petrocelli did exactly what Darnay was trying to do in civil court
Yeah, but the difference is Petrocelli is a Lawyer, Darnay is a circus buffoon. After watching Darnay's performance in this case I wouldn't want him representing me for so much as a traffic ticket. The guy has done WAY more damage to this case than good, that's for sure.
When Mike Kane said "Judge Carnes made the right decision based on the evidence presented her", what he was really saying is that Chris Wolfe had an incompetent fool for a lawyer.

I wonder if candy read the comment on Rose's forum and see how right it is and how wrong she is to assume that the judge understands and agrees with DH? Some poster there pointed out that she erred when she said the judge agreed with DH. I wonder, along with that other poster, if she's able to read this statment in the right context.

maxi, you are right. I heard Fred Goldman say more than once it was not about the money. He wanted to OJ to be held liable for the wrongful death. I don't think he has collected a cent, since OJ moved to Florida his assets are protected.

The home was magnificant, I walked around the gate and peered in. Very funny, there was DUCT TAPE across the bell on the gate. I guess they got alot of ringing them.

Originally posted by Maxi
I've noticed a trend in which suspects in criminal case are put on trial in civil court where the burden of proof is lower. I'm not sure this is such a good thing. I think many of those bringing civil suits (Fred Goldman is a good example) are not really interested in recovery for a loss. They are motivated by a desire to "convict" the suspect, even tho there isn't enough evidence to actually do so.

Important to note that the Goldman suit was filed in the appropriate venue. The Goldman's filed a Wrongful Death suit as surviving family members AFTER the criminal kangaroo court let OJ get away with murder. DH filed a Liable suit for someone who actually was considered a possible suspect in this crime.

They are 2 totally different types of lawsuits. DH can not claim Patsy murdered JonBenet and try to make a liable suit into his personal vendetta and turn it into a murder trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back