NY NY - Michael George O'Brien, 55, Greenport, LI, 28 Dec 2014

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Mike O’Brien
2015_0302_MISSINGUSE-620x330.jpg
2015_0302_Missing-225x300.jpg

With no sign of missing man, wife searches for hope: ‘All I can do is wait and pray’
Two months after Greenport resident Mike O’Brien went missing, his wife and family continue to hope fervently for his safe return.
On December 28, Mary O’Brien said her husband left their home and never came back. And since then, his heartbroken family has not heard a word about where he may have gone or what might have happened.
Life has gone on, Mary said. The couple’s oldest son Michael Jr. proudly welcomed a baby, Aubrey Marie O’Brien, into the world on February 6.
“It was wonderful,” Mary said. “But it’s also sad that he’s not here to enjoy it.”
The baby’s birth, as well as waking up to bleak mornings of uncertainty, have been the hardest parts so far, since her husband walked off and went missing without a trace, she said.
When she last saw him, O’Brien said her husband was wearing blue sweatpants, white and blue New Balance or Nike sneakers, a green Carhartt jacket, and a mustard yellow-colored flannel shirt with a T-shirt underneath.
She added that when his pickup was found in the Cross Sound Ferry parking lot, her husband had left the keys behind, in a spot where he normally hid them when leaving the vehicle in the past.
Southold Town Police have not been able to locate O’Brien, and potential leads of her husband possibly being sighted in Riverhead or staying in local homeless shelters have grown cold.
“I honestly don’t think there’s anything we can do at this point. If he’s around, he’s not nearby,” O’Brien said.
http://southoldlocal.com/2015/03/02/no-sign-missing-man-wife-searches-hope-can-wait-pray/

Possible he may have taken to ferry ? ID isnt mandatory

ok-----as per article Mike has neither cash nor credit cards......perhaps he is bouncing from shelter to shelter-----odd that he has been gone for so long and being an east ender, this is the first I have heard of this.......

Security footage from the Cross Sound Ferry appears to show Greenport resident Michael O’Brien parking his car at the Orient terminal before walking east toward the beach area Sunday evening, police and family members said Friday.

He has not been seen since.

Southold Town police chief Martin Flatley said the “brief glimpse” of footage indicates that Mr. O’Brien, 55, did not board a ferryboat even though he left his pickup truck in the first row of parking at the terminal.

“We’re fairly confident that he walked away from that vehicle but did not get into any other vehicles,” Chief Flatley said.
http://suffolktimes.timesreview.com...-shows-greenport-man-on-night-he-disappeared/
Possible he may have taken to ferry ? ID isnt mandatory

checking in to see if there is any news on Mike--------call your family Mike if you can read this!!!!

Fast thought---FWIW-----I watched an HBO doc yesterday entitled "Redemption"------its about people in NYC who "can" for a living---they collect cans and bottles and redeem them for cash---many of these people are homeless and all are (well were in the doc) unemployed-----another place to look----supermarket redemtion sections

Long Island due for more snow and cold-----Maybe this will lead Mike to family or to a shelter to ride out the storm..........

Mike O'Brien has been missing since Sunday (12/28). “He abruptly left the house without any personal belongings in his vehicle and has not contacted his family since then.” “Our officers completed an initial investigation, but were not able to locate him. A missing persons report was filed and his information transmitted to all police sites.”

His vehicle was later located at the Cross Sound Ferry parking lot in Orient Point. After reviewing videotape from surveillance cameras, “We saw a man arrive in the truck belonging to Mr. O’Brien exit his truck and walk east from the ferry terminal toward the beach.”

O’Brien, 55, a Greenport native, is described as being a white man, 6′ tall, with brown hair and a beard, weighing 250 lbs.

2014_1230_Missing.jpg

http://southoldlocal.com/2015/01/03/cops-saturdays-search-missing-man-yields-no-results/

https://www.riverheadlocal.com/2015...egin-local-recruiting-and-patrols-this-month/
Sliwa says there is plenty of evidence of MS-13 and 18th Street gang activity in Greenport in the form of mob-style shakedowns of Hispanic business owners, graffiti and violence.
The gangs are directly linked to Riverhead, which he characterized as “the epicenter of the street gang activity that plagues the area.” The county jail — “where there are some 300 gangbangers mixed into the inmate population” — is a major reason why Latino gangs have put down roots in Riverhead, he said, and its central location makes it a natural conduit for travel to points east

I saw this on the news last night (news12), and was wondering if he had been found. I wasn't aware that Greenport was suffering from the riverhead mess.

silversurvivor----very sadly Greenport is an absolute mess-------there was something on news 12 site about the Guardian Angels coming into Riverhead to try to get a handle on the gang mess down there---no way can downtown Riverhead make any kind of turn about unless that is curbed----also the rampant homeless problem as well as prostitution in that area

You have to wonder if Mike maybe saw something happen or if he tangled with someone

Ugh it used to be beautiful, i used to ride my motorcycle out to claudio's. I know how bad Riverhead is. I lived in Ridge for many years. I also wondered if he had seen something or been in wrong place wrong time... i have heard many stories from people there
I also searched Riverhead many nights for a missing girl a few years back. Interesting to say the least esp in the greens.

Does anybody truly believe that the ferry parking lot was searched in the early days of his disappearance? I mean how can you not spot the silver pickup truck with a built-in toolbox? Did LE say that the video of his truck was from the day he went missing or not? Just reread the posted story and it's apparent that the truck was missed as it was there within minutes of his leave the house....pretty sad,imo.

Topcat------I think it was found but no Mike.
This being said I have not seen any posters of him in downtown Riverhead as I had seen in winter. Will take a real close look tho. I have heard no updates.

Topcat------I think it was found but no Mike.
This being said I have not seen any posters of him in downtown Riverhead as I had seen in winter. Will take a real close look tho. I have heard no updates.
I realize the truck was found but it took them 3 or 4 days to figure out
it was at the ferry parking lot the whole time as per the surveillance tape...I had read that he was arrested earlier in the year on charges of leaving a threatening message for school administrators in regards to an incident with his daughter. I don't know the results of that case. Maybe that ties into his taking off or his mental state even though it was a misdemeanor.

Here is an old story from January 2014 about him and the law:

A Greenport man, frustrated with how school officials were dealing with his child, was arrested Monday after he left a threatening statement on a school voice mail answering system, police said. Michael O'Brien, 54, was charged with aggravated harassment, a misdemeanor, after he surrendered to Southold Town police. Arraignment details were not immediately available.

I can't get the rest of the story, it's behind a paywall.
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/cops-dad-made-threatening-call-to-principal-1.6795982

Here's a full story:

http://suffolktimes.timesreview.com...nport-man-arrested-for-threatening-principal/

One article says he was seen walking away from truck, towards the beach, on video.
Did he just walk into the water?

You would think someone would have seen him ...Did they say what time of day it was when he was spotted on the tape doing that? Even though it was December people are usually there either waiting for or leaving the ferry...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back