Search by State

KimBeq

Reaction score
Is there a way I can search the missing forum by state? For example, can i pull up all threads for the Maryland missing?

Is there a way I can search the missing forum by state? For example, can i pull up all threads for the Maryland missing?

Click on Advanced Search top right corner
click on Search Single Content type
Go down to additional options
click on Search by Forums and pick the forums you want to search in
click on Search by prefix
and then click MD.

It should bring all of them up that have MD as the prefix. If it says for example Active Search on the thread then it won't pull it up, but as long as the prefix is MD it should come up that way.

Someone else may have an easier way but this is how I search them. :smile:

There may be an easier way. But here is how I do that search.

Go to the Missing Forum Discussion located on the main page index.

Select Search forum at the top of the missing forum. Not the one at top of page, just the one at top of the missing forum. Select advanced search. Where it says additional options select search by prefix. Scroll down the prefix list to select MD (or whatever state abbreviation you are searching). Here is the search result for Maryland. This gives you a good start on Missing cases found at websleuths for the state of Maryland.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2179717

I hope that helps :)

I should have known Imamaze would be on it :D

I just use the menu at the bottom of any page in Missing Forum Discussion, and search by prefix. You can do the same in any forum where we use state prefixes, e.g., UID, Cold Cases. Once a missing case is moved to Located, the state prefixes go away. In that case, you can do an alphabetical sort from the same menu at the bottom of the page. If the threads titles are formatted properly, the threads will sort nicely.

I should have known Imamaze would be on it :D

LOL tlcya :smile:

Your way works too, I didn't realize you could do it that way. I thought you would just pull up what is in the missing discussion forum but you can still pick the forums you want if you go to advanced search. Thanks I learned something new :smile:

I was just curious as to whether Websleuths has ever considered listing Cold Cases Or even Missing Persons by each state and in chronological order in order to identify possible clusters or patterns of abduction and/or whether serial killers may be responsible? I'm assuming that most sleuths are interested in their home states or specific area of interest. I'd suppose I could do that using a search by state but it wouldn't be in chronological order. Just a thought.

An interesting suggestion pleasantstandby. I will flag it for notice. Possibly a search parameter already exists within the site that I am unaware of but if not a good suggestion to consider if possible. Thanks :)

Currently I think those searches pull according to most recent posts. But I assume you refer to when the party went missing.

Currently I think those searches pull according to most recent posts. But I assume you refer to when the party went missing.

In hindsight, I guess typing the name of the state and the year of the crime will get me the same result, just not in order. I could then place them in chronological order. Thanks for considering it, though.

Here is a search I performed by going to the missing forum and choosing to search that forum using the advanced search feature. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2483156

Once in the advanced area under keywords I elected to search only titles (not entire posts) and then searched for items with the prefix VA (my example state). Just below that area I elected to sort my search results by choosing "thread start date" descending from the pulldown menus. This brought me all missing persons threads for the state of VA in the order in which the threads were opened from most recent to oldest.

I've been trying to add year tags to cold cases, missing but not forgotten, SK's,and UID. That way, if you click the year in the tags at the bottom of the thread, other cases tagged with the same year will pop up in a list.

Any member can add tags, so when you read a thread, it would be a big help if you add a tag for the year and victim's name to threads which don't already have them.

To see an example, scroll to the bottom of this page and click on the tag "1973" that I just added.

I just learned to sort tag search results by Forum, one must be doing an advanced Forum search. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't sort by Forum on a standard advanced thread tag search. Sort options are different on the two types.

Sharing in case, I'm not the only confused tag searcher.

Thank you loads to both of you for this, and I know this isn't a discussion thread, but.... how do we order all those threads into chronological order, or by most recent post?

It'd be nice if you could sort the standard tag search results, but you can't. What you can do is a tag search in advanced FORUM mode and sort by the 6-7 options available there.

At the top of each forum, just above the Replies/Views Last Post By row is "Search Forum" and "Forum Tools." The Search Forums dropdown pops out a gray box with 3 options: Show Threads, Show Posts, Advanced Search.
Choose that advanced search, which is different than the Advanced Search just beneath the Google custom search box.

In advanced FORUM search mode:
The 3rd search box under Search for Posts is TAG: type in UK missing. Don't hit enter yet.

The search defaults to search only the forum you were in when you chose it. So then change it to ALL forums under Additional Options.

And lastly near the bottom is a Sort Results By:
Options are:
Title
Number of Replies
Number of Views
Thread Start Date
Last Posting Date
User Name
Forum

You could probably make a more complex search using Tags for Years with the UK Prefix option but every forum has different Prefixes and some have none at all. So that's handy mostly in the Missing/Located Forums.

HTH.

It would be good if at the top of every forum (in the thread tools dropdown perhaps) there were various search options - state/country, date started, date of last post, name etc. Viable?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back