Tunisia - 22 killed in attack at Bardo National Museum, Tunis, 18 March 2015

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.680news.com/2015/03/18/21-dead-in-attack-on-tunisian-museum-other-gunmen-may-be-at-large/

"TUNIS, Tunisia – Attackers opened fire Wednesday at a major museum in Tunisia’s capital, gunning down 17 tourists as dozens more sprinted to safety. At least 21 people in all were killed, including two gunmen, but some attackers may have escaped, authorities said.

The attack on the famed National Bardo Museum in Tunis was the first on a tourist site in years in Tunisia, a shaky young democracy that has struggled to keep Islamic extremist violence at bay.

It wasn’t clear who the attackers were but security forces immediately flooded the area. Tunisia’s parliament building, next to the museum, was evacuated".

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/19/world/africa/gunmen-attack-tunis-bardo-national-museum.html?_r=1

"CAIRO — Gunmen in military uniforms attacked a museum in downtown Tunis around noon on Wednesday, killing 19 people, officials said. Security forces later advanced into the museum and killed two gunmen in a firefight, state television reported.

Prime Minister Habib Essid said at a news conference that the dead included 17 tourists and two Tunisians. Eight people were killed as they got off a bus to visit the museum, according to an Interior Ministry spokesman; 10 more were taken hostage and then killed. State television reported that a Tunisian museum guard who was injured in the attack and died later of his wounds.

The prime minister said that 22 more people were injured in the attack.

Local media reports said that it was possible a third gunman was involved and was still at large, and that there were possibly other accomplices as well. Tunisian authorities said at midafternoon that the operation to retake the museum was continuing and was nearly complete".

This link includes a map which indicates where in the world, this attack is being talked about.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/03/18/reports-shots-tunisia-parliament/24948295/

"Tunisia, the northern most African nation, has struggled with violence by Islamic extremists since mass protests ousted President Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali in 2011. Tunisia adopted a constitution in 2014 that guaranteed rights for women and mandated that the president's religion be Islam.

"It is not by chance that today's terrorism affects a country that represents hope for the Arab world," French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said in a statement. "The hope for peace, the hope for stability, the hope for democracy. This hope must live."

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-30...sia-two-held-hostage-museum-three-gunmen.html

'Islamic' gunmen open fire on popular museum before being shot dead themselves in dramatic police raid

Seventeen tourists, including two Britons, have been killed after two gunmen 'hunted down' foreigners outside a popular Tunisian museum, before being killed themselves in a dramatic police raid.

All 17 victims were foreigners, but local reports suggesting two were British are yet to be confirmed.

Just sad !

'In Syria, they are told they'll get houses, they'll get wives. These people are so alienated from our society that some choose this option in a heartbeat.'
Emphasis mine

Therein lies a part of the problem...ISIS and other groups target people without hope-- and then proceed to turn them into 'cannon fodder' or worse, murderers. :gaah:

:moo:

My thoughts and sympathies with those who have lost loved ones. :(

Tour guide says they targeted cruise ship passengers as they got off their bus.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3000614/Tourists-shot-dead-Tunisia-Bardo-Museum.html

I noticed something strange and I would appreciate if a medical pro or someone more knowledgeable then me could explain. In the first photo of the dailymail link, it shows a man on a stretcher. Why are his feet dark and his hands light? Is it loss of blood? Could it be the lighting? Am I just seeing things? Warning the photo is graphic and I apologize in advance if my question offends. TIA

I noticed something strange and I would appreciate if a medical pro or someone more knowledgeable then me could explain. In the first photo of the dailymail link, it shows a man on a stretcher. Why are his feet dark and his hands light? Is it loss of blood? Could it be the lighting? Am I just seeing things? Warning the photo is graphic and I apologize in advance if my question offends. TIA

Had noticed the same thing, sadly, no doubt it is bloodied pants, imo. and he possibly might also be wearing "wet' socks.

Simple acts like this show there is much more love in the world than evil. Jmo
A courageous police dog killed in the Tunisian museum hostage siege was given a guard of honour as its body was carried from the scene.Remarkable footage has emerged showing mass crowds clapping the heroic hound as its bloodied body is wheeled away from the National Bardo museum by special forces.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Islamists-removed-building.html#ixzz3UnG6s1KU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Two British people were "caught up" in a gun attack on Tunisia's national museum that killed 17 foreign tourists, a spokesman for London's foreign ministry said today.

The Foreign Office did not clarify whether the two British people had been hurt in the attack in the capital Tunis...

Differing statements about those killed and injured have emerged from different national authorities.

Three Italians and two Spaniards were among the dead, according to their governments.

Tunisia's Prime Minister Habib Essid said that a French tourist had been killed, along with five Japanese, four Italians, two Colombians and one each from Australia, Poland and Spain.

http://www.ndtv.com/world-news/2-british-people-caught-up-in-tunisia-attack-747842?site=full

An Australian resident has been named as a victim:

Just last week, Sydney resident Javier Camelo graduated from university with an MBA and was looking forward to a future in business.

To celebrate, the 28-year-old organised to go on a cruise around the Mediterranean with his parents.

Mr Camelo, an Australian-Colombian dual national, who lived in Waterloo in inner Sydney, had never been on a cruise before, and thought it would be a good way to relax and mark the end of his years of studying.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-re...in-tunisia-museum-attack-20150319-1m2x3u.html

Attachments

• 1426742028203.jpg
    1426742028203.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 33
I am currently in Belgium and reluctant to go to a museum since the attack in Brussels,so I have stuck to visiting the cathedral churches.I have been a little nervous at the train stations.They are attacking tourists to hit multiple countries and places were large numbers gather,IMO.

I am currently in Belgium and reluctant to go to a museum since the attack in Brussels,so I have stuck to visiting the cathedral churches.I have been a little nervous at the train stations.They are attacking tourists to hit multiple countries and places were large numbers gather,IMO.

Be safe, leave when you can. From the looks of things, churches & synagogues are targets as well. My prayers go out to you.

Be safe, leave when you can. From the looks of things, churches & synagogues are targets as well. My prayers go out to you.

Very sweet of you! You should always blend in as a local,dress as they do.I can always spot an American tourist,they are a walking billboard.Site seeing in a tourist group is a bad idea right now.Walking around wearing a landyard with a tour guide holding a big flag puts a bullseye right on you.
I read on yahoo that the US is beefing up security at museums. I feel safe in the town I am in,it is Brussels and Antwerpen I am uneasy.When I left the US two weeks ago I noticed heavier security than normal with armed men and bomb sniffing dogs at RDU and I had never seen at that airport.
Prayers for the families of the victims in Tunisia!These extremist are cowards they go after innocent unarmed people you never see them attack a military base.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2015/03/19/22296496.html

"Islamic State claims deadly Tunisia mall attack"

"We tell the apostates who sit on the chest of Muslim Tunisia: Wait for the glad tidings of what will harm you, o impure ones, for what you have seen today is the first drop of the rain," the Islamic State audio said in Arabic.

The two dead militants were identified as Tunisians, Hatem al-Khashnawi and Yassin al-Abidi. Two local newspapers reported Abidi had spent time in Iraq and Libya, but officials did not confirm that.

Tunisia's Prime Minister Habib Essid said Abidi had been under surveillance but "not for anything very special".

Running in fear at the sound of gunfire: Harrowing footage emerges of tourists inside the Tunisian museum fleeing as gunmen storm the building

New video shows moment tourist group hear the gunmen opening fire

Visitors were listening to guide when startled by sound of shots being fired

After initial confusion, the tourists realise the danger and run for their lives

21 people killed at the National Bardo Museum during attack on March 18

Museum's re-opening has been delayed during to security concerns

Tunisians demonstrated outside centre urging tourists to support country

Two gunmen were killed by police by Tunisia's president said a third suspect - the suspected mastermind - is still on the run

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eum-today-surprised-minute.html#ixzz3VNkJ0J4R

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/24/isis-star-wars-tunisia_n_6936188.html

"Star Wars" fans are being warned away from several locations in Tunisia linked to the movies due to reported jihadist activity.

Tataouine, which inspired the name of Luke Skywalker's home planet of Tatooine, has become a way-station for terrorists looking to enter Libya to join ISIS, CNN reported.

CNN said two arms caches have been found in the area this month, including one that contained rocket-propelled grenade launchers and more than 20,000 rounds of ammunition".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back