VA VA - Sharon Blankenbeckler, 20, Chilhowie, 10 March 1977

Thank you for sharing this. This case is one that has had very little publicity. None for years. As a matter of fact, I hadn't even heard of it until a few months ago when I was researching cold cases in southwest Virginia. Even at that it was only after deep research. I'd like to see this case reopened and investigated again. I'm sure there are others who would like answers.

I too, would like to see this reopened. Seems like it is a small town with big secrets.

http://www.swvatoday.com/news/smyth_county/article_189c3fd4-e285-11e6-abb0-1bad3028d633.html

Information gathered from friends and family of the victim indicated Blankenbeckler had left her home in Chilhowie to apply for a job at the K-Mart store in Marion. Her car was found abandoned on the shopping center parking lot that night with a flat tire...

Howard Buchanan of Rich Valley was riding across Walker’s Mountain on April 7 when he thought he spotted something on the roadside. He returned around 7:30 a.m. on April 8 and found Blankenbeckler’s body... The sheriff said the position of the body indicated it had been shoved from a moving vehicle.

Blankenbeckler was found with her hands tied behind her back and a rope was around her neck. The autopsy report said the body was fully clothed and revealed no signs of sexual assault. She had been strangled. Her body had been on the mountain for about a month.

There doesn't seem to have been a thorough investigation. Were former boyfriend's questioned, classmates? Something just doesn't sit right here.

I would love to see Sharon's killer found, This case has haunted me all these years.
I am from the area so it's close to my heart!

According to an individual who was close to the case in 1977, LE knew who murdered Sharon but they did not have the evidence to charge him.
I'm wondering if any of the remaining evidence has been processed for DNA?
JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back