AL - Two officers, dispatcher murdered in Fayette PD station, 7 June 2003

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Lawyers for a 20-year-old accused of fatally shooting three members of a small-town police department claim the video game "Grand Theft Auto" and childhood abuse caused him to kill.

Devin Moore is charged with capital murder and could face the death penalty if convicted. The jury heard closing arguments Tuesday and began deliberations

The victims' families have filed a civil suit against the video game manufacturer and two stores, claiming Moore killed the three after repeatedly playing "Grand Theft Auto III" and "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City." No trial date has been set in the civil lawsuit.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nat-gen/2005/aug/09/080908602.html

A 20-year-old whose lawyers claimed the video game "Grand Theft Auto" and childhood abuse caused him to kill three small-town police officers was convicted Tuesday of capital murder. The jury deliberated for just over an hour before convicting Devin Moore.

Jurors were to return Wednesday to begin the sentencing phase. Moore could face the death penalty.

While the judge barred jurors from hearing testimony linking the 2003 shootings to the game, defense lawyer Jim Standridge reminded them that Moore, after his arrest, told police "Life is a video game; everybody has to die sometime."
http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0805/250584.html

Exactly... Don't take the responsibility or accept blame - the violent video game this loser was FORCED to play is really at fault... Let the poor guy go... lets throw the creator of the game in jail instead !!

WHATEVA !! People like this need to start fessing up and quit trying to blame everything and everyone else !! Makes me SICK!

I watched my oldest son (he's 25) play this game for a little while not too long ago. I commented on how horribly violent it was and no wonder all the parents were up in arms about it being on the market. He commented that if someone over the age of 19 can be turned into a killer by a videogame, they probably didn't have a huge grasp on reality to begin with!
(sounds like maybe he listened to me at least 1/2 the time growing up). ;)

Jeana (DP) said:
I watched my oldest son (he's 25) play this game for a little while not too long ago. I commented on how horribly violent it was and no wonder all the parents were up in arms about it being on the market. He commented that if someone over the age of 19 can be turned into a killer by a videogame, they probably didn't have a huge grasp on reality to begin with!
(sounds like maybe he listened to me at least 1/2 the time growing up). ;)

I agree...
While I do think the game is very violent, I do not think it is going to turn a decent person into a killer... That would have been implanted in them long before the game !

The main problems I see are that the game is ending up in the hands of kids. My ex lets my son play this game. I am livid.
Watching a violent movie is passive. They sit and watch. Not good for them, but not really involving them.
The video game puts the gun in the kids hand. It gives them rewards for pulling the trigger. It shows a very unrealistic view of killing (they see gushing blood that pools on the sidewalk, but not the smells, the families grief, the lives changed). A movie they watch a couple of times, then move on. A video game they play over and over and over again. They are in control of the "action". They are much more involved. I can see where this could skew what they are being taught in real life. After all in the game- they are the one in control, the ones who motivate the action and the killing. In some ways it is preferable to them than real life, as they can be in control.

Families of two slain Fayette police employees are ready to move ahead with their civil lawsuit blaming the killings on a violent video game even though a judge barred jurors in the killer's trial from hearing about it.

A lawyer handling the suit said Friday the judge's ruling in the capital murder trial of Devin Moore won't hurt his clients chances of winning their case against the makers and sellers of "Grand Theft Auto," which the families claim drove Moore to kill.

Circuit Judge James Moore ruled there was insufficient evidence of a link between video games and violence, and the manufacturers of the video deny any connection. But attorney Jack Thompson said he has experts and scientific reports to prove the opposite.

Thompson said he is aware of "literally hundreds of studies" on the subject of video games leading to violence and questioned why Moore's attorneys didn't do more to get such evidence into court.
http://www.timesdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050812/APN/508121034&cachetime=5

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back