Federal sex trafficking bill fails to pass

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Federal sex trafficking bill fails to pass

Updated: Tue 5:14 PM, Apr 07, 2015

WASHINGTON (13abc) - Though lawmakers are on a recess, they still have a lot of legislation left on the table, including a controversial sex trafficking bill: the Justice for Victims of Trafficking Act. It’s a bill that senators couldn’t pass before they left Washington last month.

“It’s become a target of folks that don’t want to see any legislation in the United States Senate,” said Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC). “It’s a sad day when a human sex trafficking bill can’t find bipartisanship.”

Hundreds of thousands of children are trafficked each year in the United States. It’s a national issue that hasn’t received any national attention until recently.

cont. at the link

I just do not understand the failure of a bill on Sex Trafficking. If it is a clean bill with no other issues in it, HOW can a Senator be against it? Sex Trafficking isn't a political issue, FGS!

We are talking about children, teens, and adults who are vulnerable and are trafficked. These politicians can find no middle ground on an issue such as this??

I am sick over this.

*ETA: We do not need Advisory Councils and so forth. We need street level people who actively work to stop this. Not a bunch of suit wearing politicians sitting around a table talking about it. Action is needed!

MOO

Stop voting "do-nothing" Republicans into office. Democrats aren't always right, by any means, but at least they occasionally do SOMEthing!

(This is a general comment and not directed at Bessie or LaLaw2000; I have no idea how the posters in this thread vote.)

Stop voting "do-nothing" Republicans into office. Democrats aren't always right, by any means, but at least they occasionally do SOMEthing!

(This is a general comment and not directed at Bessie or LaLaw2000; I have no idea how the posters in this thread vote.)

it's a republican bill, the dems are holding it up

I just do not understand the failure of a bill on Sex Trafficking. If it is a clean bill with no other issues in it, HOW can a Senator be against it? Sex Trafficking isn't a political issue, FGS!

We are talking about children, teens, and adults who are vulnerable and are trafficked. These politicians can find no middle ground on an issue such as this??

I am sick over this.

*ETA: We do not need Advisory Councils and so forth. We need street level people who actively work to stop this. Not a bunch of suit wearing politicians sitting around a table talking about it. Action is needed!

MOO
dems want the fund it establishes to pay for trafficking victims' abortions. Hyde Amendment gets in the way.

I guarantee that if anyone in a lawmakers family had ever been taken into Sex Trafficking, that bill would be passed in short order. The law makers need to forget whether it is a Democratic or a Republican bill and just pass it if it is a clean bill.

Pain and suffering of the sex trafficked victims knows no political party. This is why the victims need a voice that matters and are heard loud and clear.

MOO

I guarantee that if anyone in a lawmakers family had ever been taken into Sex Trafficking, that bill would be passed in short order. The law makers need to forget whether it is a Democratic or a Republican bill and just pass it if it is a clean bill.

Pain and suffering of the sex trafficked victims knows no political party. This is why the victims need a voice that matters and are heard loud and clear.

MOO
fairly sure there are already laws against this sort of thing

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/us/politics/impasse-over-sex-trafficking-bill-shows-depth-of-rancor-in-congress.html?_r=0

"The bill, sponsored by Senator John Cornyn, Republican of Texas, would create a fund for victims based on fees assessed to their predators. But it also would have prevented that money from being used to pay for abortions for the victims.

The provision is basically a further application of the Hyde Amendment, which generally prohibits taxpayer funds from being used for abortions. Democrats say they do not like what they see as an expansion of the Hyde Amendment to include “fees” and a precedent that could expand abortion restrictions."

Sounds to me like Rebublicans are confused by the differences between "fees" and in "tax dollars". Wonderful reason to hold up all voting until they can control what a sex trafficking victim can do with their body. The irony sickens me.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back