OH - Mother charged for dropping boy in Ohio zoo cheetah enclosure

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Mother charged for dropping boy in Ohio zoo cheetah enclosure
CLEVELAND (Reuters) - An Ohio mother has been charged with child endangerment after she allegedly dropped her 2-year-old son into a cheetah enclosure at a Cleveland zoo during the weekend, court documents showed on Monday.

The boy ended up in the enclosure with two cheetahs on Saturday and was quickly recovered. He was not injured by the animals, according to a statement from the zoo, but media reports said he suffered a broken leg.

Michelle Schwab, 38, of Delaware, Ohio, is scheduled to be arraigned on Tuesday in a Cleveland court for one count of children endangerment, a misdemeanor, the document said. No lawyer was listed for her on the report.
http://news.yahoo.com/mother-charged-dropping-boy-ohio-zoo-cheetah-enclosure-172255790.html

Any updates? Was this intentional or accidental?

This reminds of the kid killed after he was dropped into a pit of African Painted Dogs.

At the time the posters here argued for weeks over whether barriers should be put up to prevent fools from falling or dropping their kids from high places. I argued against it however after this incident I will say I was wrong, and barriers DO need to be put up at zoos to protect the poor animals.

If the cheetahs had approached that kid they very well could have been shot to death. She should be charged with cruelty to animals as well child endangerment and yes barriers need to be put up to protect all zoo animals.

JMOO, she will claim accidental just like the Pittsburgh case. ANY person that would dangle or put a child in harms way with a wild and dangerous animal should be charged.
IF the animal would think the child was food and kills it everyone is quick to judge the animal. It is the actions of the adult..........will this be another way to get rid of children?
I can't believe the parents in he Pittsburgh case sued the zoo, when to me the mother was at fault. JMOO

Any updates? Was this intentional or accidental?

I don't believe anyone is suggesting she did it on purpose.
But just because you don't intend to do something, doesn't mean you can't be charged for it.

...but in today's world, is the idea that she did it on purpose really such a stretch? I think not, unfortunately.

This idiotic woman is a director of a Day Care Center? I would not leave a stuffed animal in her care. You don't 'accidentally' dangle your child over a zoo enclosure. She had to blatantly lean over and dangle him, FGS, IMO she was trying to kill him. Who knows she could have been arguing with the father and did it on purpose. I don't know how on earth she could explain what she did.

I don't believe anyone is suggesting she did it on purpose.
But just because you don't intend to do something, doesn't mean you can't be charged for it.

Accidents happen. But if this zoo is like ALL the other zoos I have been to, there are clear signs everywhere not to let kids sit on the fence, climb the fence, reach over the fence, etc. So she was breaking the rules.
I liken this to someone who has one too many drinks out. They don't INTEND to get into an accident, but when it happens, they should be charged. JMO

Mother who dropped two-year-old son into cheetah exhibit gets probation as judge declares she must take parenting classes

Michelle Schwab, 38, of Delaware, Ohio, was handed one year's probation

Schwab and her husband jumped into the exhibit to retrieve their son

Cleveland Zoo's cheetahs did not approach the family but boy broke his leg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...declares-parenting-classes.html#ixzz3dMSujDI7

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back