CA - S.F. meeting over police shooting shut down by protests

shadowraiths

LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special
Staff member
Reaction score
3202d77f.gif

Family members of a woman fatally shot by San Francisco police are calling for an investigation into whether the plainclothes officers who shot her had properly identified themselves when they approached her car, a family attorney said Monday.

Police say the officers shot Alice Brown, 24, after she sped away from a gas station at Van Ness Avenue and Pine Street, crashing into vehicles and a building, turning around and driving down a one-way street in the wrong direction and posing a danger to other motorists.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

Suhr said that just after 7 p.m., Maguire and Tursi approached Brown, who was in a stolen Volkswagen Jetta Zipcar.
They identified themselves as police officers verbally while displaying their badge around their necks, Suhr said. Brown then reversed, hit a pole, did a three-point turn and took off westbound on Pine Street, honking and striking several cars along the way.
Maguire and Tursi pursued on foot while their partner pursued Brown in an unmarked police vehicle with sirens, Suhr said.
When Brown reached the red light at the end of the block, Tursi tried to open her door, but Brown reversed into a sidewalk, hit a building and began driving the wrong way down Pine, a one-way street, before crashing into more parked cars and motorists on the block, Suhr said.
Tursi fired twice at Brown, Suhr said. When she continued driving, ending up on a sidewalk, both officers fired at Brown, hitting her. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Sounds like a justified shooting to me. She is using the stolen car to ram into innocent citizens, driving the wrong way on one way street. Seems like the cops had to stop her immediately. JMO

And they identified themselves, too. So it wasn't just fear of being approached by two strangers.

With all due respect what is with all the police shooting threads in the last couple if days?
How about some that show the good police officers also, and no I'm but going to start them just asking.

With all due respect what is with all the police shooting threads in the last couple if days?
How about some that show the good police officers also, and no I'm but going to start them just asking.

:seeya:
[h=1]Bob Schieffer: Don’t overlook the good cops[/h]In his weekly commentary, “Face The Nation” host Bob Schieffer says that the overwhelming majority of police officers are professionals who deserve to be commended, and that the coverage of some recent police controversies doesn't paint a complete picture.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/bob-schieffer-dont-overlook-the-good-cops/

I could just post thread after new thread about criminals attacking the cops, but what's the point?

I could just post thread after new thread about criminals attacking the cops, but what's the point?

I understand I really didn't have a point other than counting like 7 threads in a row.
Now I will zip my lip

I understand I really didn't have a point other than counting like 7 threads in a row.
Now I will zip my lip

NO, I was agreeing with you. Totally. S bunch of threads in a row, cherrypicked, imo.

Now I will zip my lip

IMHO, it's because we are noticing a problem, a pattern, and it's disturbing. Obviously there are fantastic cops out there and anyone is free to post those threads.

--

As for this case... She had two felony warrants out for her arrest for drug addiction. Which is why criminalizing drug abuse instead of treating it like the mental health problem it truly is, is a real problem. Drug addiction is an illness, it shouldn't be a crime. JMHO

Maybe because you would expect criminals to do something like that. But you wouldn't necessarily expect police officers to behave that way, well I guess some people do expect it.

While I do agree with highlighting the good police do, in my opinion, that's a given from my experience with them and have friends who are. Yet I also want to know when a bad cop is among us then find out how he got to be one. Criminals are a dime a dozen nowadays but bad cops should not be that common.

I think posts that involve shootings of the suspect/police are just as important as abuse, missing persons, another murder and etc.. Majority of the time policemen are responding to a call from a "concerned" citizen or someone needing help and things turn ugly/deadly. Police aren't against us, we make them be including those who seek power/control over the population and the law enforcement divisions. It's a two-way street. Sometimes the police are definitely in the wrong and other times it's the suspect(s) fault. These shootings have motives as well, whether self-defense, bad judgement or whatnot and should/have to follow the same system of justice.

This is on the front page on Websleuthers under What's Going On? forum.

Most users ever online was 9,395, 08-18-2014 at 05:38 PM <--I looked up that date and it's Ferguson. Personally I found that surprising and sad at the same time considering all the types of crimes listed here.

Sad because that day should have been April 13th, 2015 to celebrate the victory of Justice being served instead of another bad memory upon a city, state and U.S.

I know I'm going to kick myself for asking when you jog my memory, but... what happened on April 13th?

From the link...
The family of Brown joined the meeting shortly after it began, her aunt wiping her eyes as attendees yelled at the police.
Brown&#8217;s brother had told The Chronicle that his sister was a sweet but troubled woman with a history of drug abuse. She had been arrested on a variety of larceny- and drug-related crimes since 2009, and had spent time in jail.

So where was this loving family 6 years ago? They knew she had a drug problem, IMO this is all on the family.

Maybe because you would expect criminals to do something like that. But you wouldn't necessarily expect police officers to behave that way, well I guess some people do expect it.

I don't expect police to behave like that but I do wish suspect(s) would stop behaving in ways that are causing these incidents.

I know I'm going to kick myself for asking when you jog my memory, but... what happened on April 13th?

Jodie Arias sentenced to life for Travis Alexander's murder after 3 trials over seven years.

Right, you would expect criminals to act that way. And the cops EXPECT them to act that way too. Which explains why cops tend to shoot at them when they feel physically threatened. JMO

Not every citizen is a criminal, but some cops treat the general public as though we all are ready to commit a hasty murder at any second.

That's the biggest problem. They are no longer part of the community, but separate and waiting for us to screw up. JMHO.

I don't expect police to behave like that but I do wish suspect(s) would stop behaving in ways that are causing these incidents.

You expect criminals to stop behaving badly? If they did, then what would be the purpose of the police?

If you want to cut down on crime, then I would suggest spending more money on education, job training, mental health, etc., and less on law enforcement, and prisons. Give people options to a life of crime. It wouldn't solve the crime problem, but I think you would see a big improvement.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back