MD - Freddie Gray dies in police custody #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowraiths

LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special
Staff member
Reaction score
3202d77f.gif

Baltimore police were conducting a criminal investigation on Sunday into the death of a man injured in their custody. The mayor, meanwhile, vowed to ensure the city held “the right people accountable”.

Freddie Gray, 25, died on Sunday at a hospital, a week after he was hurt following an arrest. A timeline released earlier in the week by police said Gray was taken by a van from the scene of his arrest to a station, where an ambulance was called to treat him. Civilian video showed him being loaded into the van, but did not show the entire encounter.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

oh my god, what the heck happened here.

"His take-down and arrest without probable cause occurred under a police video camera, which taped everything including the police dragging and throwing Freddy into a police vehicle while he screamed in pain," Murphy said in a statement, adding that Gray's spine was 80 percent severed at his neck while in police custody.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/healthy-baltimore-man-dies-after-being-restrained-police-n344506

Wow. That sounds really bad. Thank you for finding that. The other article was a bit sketchy.

We all want to see the right ppl held accountable, but not sure if anyone knows who that is yet.

I am considering the source (William Murphy, a lawyer for Gray's family) of the following:
"... cops chased him "without any evidence he committed a crime."
"Murphy said in a statement, adding that Gray's spine was 80 percent severed at his neck while in police custody."
"He said Gray "lapsed into a coma, died, was resuscitated, stayed in a coma and on Monday, underwent extensive surgery at Shock Trauma [a Baltimore hospital] to save his life. Gray "clung to life for seven days" before his death Sunday morning, Murphy added."
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...police-n344506

Code blue, code blue. Is there a medical professional in the thread?

- Spine 80% severed. Is that an accurate medical characterization? Can spine trauma be quantified in percentages?
- "... in a coma, died, was resuscitated, stayed in a coma..." And this sequence?

When the LE and/or st. atty, Med Exam'er release reports, I'll bear in mind sources of that info too.
JM2cts.

3202d77f.gif

Baltimore police: Freddie Gray arrested ‘without force or incident’ before fatal injury
By Lindsey Bever, Washington Post, April 20 at 12:50 PM

Now, a court summons gives the first glimpse into Gray’s arrest, a case that has ignited outrage over the past week. According to the document, obtained Monday morning by The Baltimore Sun, authorities say Gray “fled unprovoked upon noticing police presence,” and that officers later found the knife in his right pants pocket. The document reports that Gray “was arrested without force or incident” on April 12.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

Article: link

Court docs: link

3202d77f.gif

Justice Department says 'premature' to intervene in Freddie Gray probe
By Mark Puente and Doug Donovan, The Baltimore Sun

The U.S. Department of Justice office reviewing the Baltimore Police Department in the wake of brutality allegations said Monday that it would not intervene in the investigation of Freddie Gray's recent death while in custody.

"It would be premature for our office to do so as we are in the middle of the collaborative reform process," said Mary Brandenberger, spokeswoman for the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

This is weird. If he was arrested without force, then how did he sustain those injuries?

This is weird. If he was arrested without force, then how did he sustain those injuries?

Here is a video of him screaming in pain and it looks like he can't stand up, you can see them dragging him to the van. Could he have fallen and caused those kind of injuries or is that more of a beating type thing. We know something happened, whether it was before he got in the van or after, but he was in police custody so they know and i feel like they should just say what happened. But this is what makes people so upset. They know what happened, of course they do.....

Here is a video of him screaming in pain and it looks like he can't stand up, you can see them dragging him to the van. Could he have fallen and caused those kind of injuries or is that more of a beating type thing. We know something happened, whether it was before he got in the van or after, but he was in police custody so they know and i feel like they should just say what happened. But this is what makes people so upset. They know what happened, of course they do.....

oops fogot to add the link lol

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2015/0420/What-happened-to-Freddie-Gray-in-Baltimore

Video of the arrest.

[video=youtube;RkFhRr48RhI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkFhRr48RhI[/video]

It sure looks like he can't stand upright, let alone walk. I don't have a link, but have CNN on in the background and there is going to be a news conference, around 3:30 Eastern Time.

It sure looks like he can't stand upright, let alone walk. I don't have a link, but have CNN on in the background and there is going to be a news conference, around 3:30 Eastern Time.

looks like he needed an ambulance. I wonder if he was hurt and then they made it worse by moving him like that. Thats horrible.

Video of the arrest.

[video=youtube;RkFhRr48RhI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkFhRr48RhI[/video]

It sure looks like he was hurt when they picked him up off the ground. Is there a video of the pursuit?

3202d77f.gif

Police: Video didn't capture suspect's fatal spine injury

Deputy Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez says the officers involved have been suspended, and the autopsy shows that Freddie Gray "did suffer a significant spinal injury that led to his death."

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

I haven't seen one. But I agree, he seems to be in terrible pain. Sounds like something else happened in that back of that van. Apparently it stopped at least twice and officers had contact with him. Perhaps they need cameras in those vans. I'm actually surprised they don't have them

All I can think about is hearing this man in pain.....

It isn't like he was yelling, "your hurting me..etc etc" It's just screaming.

3202d77f.gif

Freddie Gray death: Questions many, answers few, emotions high in Baltimore

(CNN)[Breaking news, posted at 4:42 p.m. ET]

Authorities in Baltimore are holding an afternoon news conference regarding the recent death of Freddie Gray. Here's what they've said so far:

[...]

-- The Baltimore Police Department will conclude its investigation into the death of Gray by Friday, May 1

[...]

-- Officers involved in the arrest of Gray have been suspended,

[...]

-- An autopsy on the body of Gray was done Monday. "He did suffer a very tragic injury to his spinal cord, which resulted in his death.

[...]

-- An officer took his Taser out, and was prepared to use it on Gray, but he never deployed it

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members