Law Enforcement Searches/AJ's Remains Located

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Discussion of the law enforcement searches for AJ Hadsell
Billboards go up in search for missing Norfolk girl
By WAVY News Published: March 12, 2015, 5:53 am Updated: April 6, 2015, 11:26 am

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Billboards featuring Anjelica Hadsell went up across Hampton Roads this week, a small measure of hope her family is clinging to after “AJ” wasn’t found during an overnight search in Norfolk.

Norfolk police got a tip around 12:30 a.m. Thursday linking AJ to Northside Park, according to department spokesman Officer Sam Shenouda. Officers searched the area looking for clues in the investigation of her disappearance, but found nothing.
Crews search for missing teen Anjelica Hadsell in Chesapeake
By Joe Fisher Published: March 21, 2015, 10:42 am Updated: April 6, 2015, 11:26 am

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — Search and rescue crews are looking for missing 18-year-old Anjelica “AJ” Hadsell near a heavily wooded and marshy area off South Battlefield Boulevard in Chesapeake.
A spokesman with the Norfolk Police Department tells WAVY.com investigators are following a tip they received regarding Hadsell’s disappearance.

Police started searching up and down South Battlefield Boulevard Thursday evening, according to neighbors.
“Throughout the week the investigation led us to this area,” Officer Sam Shenouda of the Norfolk Police Department said. “However we began our search here [Saturday] morning.”
Police searching for missing teen in Chesapeake
13News Now 11:51 p.m. EDT March 21, 2015

[...]
Saturday, Norfolk police say they were working off a tip, and searching a marshy area near the 4000 block of Battlefield Boulevard South. They didn't give any other details about the search.

Search teams say they found clothing during the search, but it is not clear if the clothes belong to Hadsell.
Fresh tip in IOW renews search for missing Norfolk teen
By Stephanie Ballesteros Published: April 3, 2015, 9:48 am Updated: April 7, 2015, 6:49 pm

[...]
A dive team with the Norfolk Police Department could be seen coming in and out of the man-made pond all day at the intersection of Joyners Bridge Road and Rt. 258 in Isle of Wight. The search area is roughly 40 miles from where Hadsell was last seen on Millard Street in Norfolk.

[...]
Hines, along with three neighbors, told 10 On Your Side detectives told them they were in the area searching for Hadsell’s cell phone. One resident said police told him Hadsell’s cell phone sent a signal to the area March 3 at 8 a.m.

This is not the first time Norfolk police have searched for Hadsell’s cell phone. They searched a wooded area in Norfolk March 13, after a tip from Hadsell’s father, Wesley Hadsell.

Neighbors: Detectives searching for Norfolk missing teen's cell phone in IOW YouTube Video
WAVY TV 10
April 3, 2015

http://wavy.com/2015/04/03/police-investigating-in-iow-in-anjelica-hadsell-disappearance/

ISLE OF WIGHT, Va. (WAVY) — Norfolk police say they are investigating in Isle of Wight after receiving a tip in regards to Anjelica “AJ” Hadsell, who has been missing since March 2.

On Friday morning, Officer Daniel Hudson with Norfolk police confirmed crews were investigating in the area of Joyners Bridge Road and Rt. 258 in Isle of Wight. They are currently searching the area, exhausting all leads and resources, said Hudson.

http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news...ds-norfolk-pd-to-isle-of-wight-pond/25236957/

ISLE OF WIGHT COUNTY -- Norfolk Police are searching a pond in Isle of Wight County after receiving a tip in the AJ Hadsell case.

http://wtkr.com/2015/04/03/tip-leads-norfolk-police-to-isle-of-wight-in-search-for-aj-hadsell/

Norfolk, Va. – Norfolk Police are continuing the search for missing teenager Anjelica “AJ” Hadsell. On Friday, Norfolk police followed up after receiving a tip that led them to Route 258 and Joyners Bridge Road in Isle of Wight. Norfolk police crews ended the search operations in Isle of Wight around 2 p.m., NewsChannel 3 has learned. Nothing was found that will help investigators, officials say.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/04/after-tip-norfolk-police-searching-missing-teen

Norfolk Police divers searched a retention pond in Carrsville most of the day Friday after receiving a tip Thursday night on the disappearance of 18-year-old Anjelica "AJ" Hadsell.

Remains Found in Search for Missing Virginia Teen Anjelica Hadsell
Apr 9, 2015, 1:23 PM ET By EMILY SHAPIRO via

Human remains have been found in a search for missing college student Anjelica "AJ" Hadsell, according to police in Norfolk, Virginia.

The remains found in Southampton County have been sent to the Chief Medical Examiner's Office to be identified and to determine the cause of death, police said.

The FBI is now involved in the investigation, police said.
Human remains found as investigators search for missing teen
By Stephanie Ballesteros Published: April 9, 2015, 12:37 pm Updated: April 9, 2015, 5:02 pm

SOUTHAMPTON COUNTY, Va. (WAVY) — Norfolk police say their investigation into the disappearance of Anjelica “AJ” Hadsell led them Thursday to a home in Southampton County, where human remains were found.

Police say a tip led them to the 34000 block of Smith’s Ferry Road. 10 On Your Side learned the remains were found outside a shed in the backyard of a residence.
Special Coverage: The Search for AJ Hadsell

I've made a quick info sheet of what has been released by MSM.

Check it out here.

I'll continue to update it and clean it up as new info emerges. I think having something like this will be helpful for those who are just jumping in.

There are lots of images so I apologize if it is slow to load.

Remains found at Southampton home ID’d as missing Longwood student AJ Hadsell
APRIL 10, 2015

SOUTHAMPTON COUNTY, Va. — Norfolk police said the human remains discovered in the 34000 block of Smiths Ferry Road in Southampton County Thursday are those of missing Longwood University student Anjelica “AJ” Hadsell.

http://wtvr.com/2015/04/10/anjelica-aj-hadsell-remains-found-outside-abandoned-southampton-home/

The search for 'AJ' Hadsell ends in tragedy

THE MEDICAL EXAMINER HAS POSITIVELY IDENTIFIED THE HUMAN REMAINS DISCOVERED IN SOUTHAMPTON COUNTY AS BELONGING TO ANJELICA "A.J." HADSELL ACCORDING TO NORFOLK POLICE.

The medical examiner has positively identified the human remains discovered in Southampton County as belonging to Anjelica "A.J." Hadsell according to Norfolk Police. Police now are focusing efforts on bringing closure to the Hadsell family, as the investigation continues.

http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news/local/virginia/2015/04/09/search-for-anjelica-hadsell/25531969/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/12/remains-idd-as-missing-university-student-anjelica-hadsell/

The remains were found in an area of waist-high grass beside the house, which is near the North Carolina border. In the afternoon, the paper reported that investigators focused their search on a wooded area behind the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td4lm5kbUoA

About a month ago a dark blue/black caravan was seen late at night seen driving through the car port into the back yard...

More information disclosed about the body found at the same area they searched for Anjelica. Isle of Wight.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/04/police-investigating-isle-wight-co-body-homicide#

On Friday evening, the Sheriff's Office made public a description of the woman, in hopes of identifying her. She is white, about 30 years old, 190 pounds and 5 feet, 4 inches tall with dark, shoulder-length hair and blue eyes.

When she was found, she was wearing a blue hoodie with "Navy" across the back and a Navy emblem on the front, a news release Saturday said. The initials "JMS" were written on a tag inside the hoodie, according to the release.

That woman has been identified: http://wavy.com/2015/04/17/womans-body-found-in-isle-of-wight/

"The body of a woman was discovered in Isle of Wight early Friday morning, according to the sheriff’s office.

The victim has been identified as 29-year-old Jean Marie Smith, a Hampton resident and former Navy Sailor, according to the Isle of Wight County Sheriff’s Office."

The stand out question for me is why THAT house, of all places? What was so special about that house, that it was chosen to leave AJ there? Did whoever left her there know that it was abandoned? Did they know there was no chance of anyone finding her unless they knew exactly where to look? If so, how did they have this information about that specific house?

If you look closely, @1:30 mark , you can see what appears to be a shovel leaned against the shed behind the white fence. I find that interesting, since the home was abandoned for 2 or 3 years. Considering the fact that LE didn't discover AJ's remains until the 2nd day they were at this house, I can't help but wonder if her body was buried or at least partially buried.

Speculation and JMO. Nothing solid to base that on what-so-ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdnzG2buDa0

The stand out question for me is why THAT house, of all places? What was so special about that house, that it was chosen to leave AJ there? Did whoever left her there know that it was abandoned? Did they know there was no chance of anyone finding her unless they knew exactly where to look? If so, how did they have this information about that specific house?
I think the person that did this had been in the area before, possibly for the full time job but noticed it was overgrown, therefore thinking it could be a potential side job. I think maybe he stopped in to knock or whatever and realized it was empty. Only later, when needing a place to hide a body did this person return. IMO, cell phone data placed that person at this house before and after AJ's death.

I think the person that did this had been in the area before, possibly for the full time job but noticed it was overgrown, therefore thinking it could be a potential side job. I think maybe he stopped in to knock or whatever and realized it was empty. Only later, when needing a place to hide a body did this person return. IMO, cell phone data placed that person at this house before and after AJ's death.
Oh, that's GOOD!

This is a really good point, Dockins. I can't imagine that someone just randomly rode around with a body in their vehicle looking for a good place to dump it, and just out of the blue, saw this house. 1. Yes the yard is unkept, but how would they know it was abandoned? 2. Even if they thought it was abandoned, how would they know the owners didn't live next door, or that the house wasn't looked after by a neighbor or someone? 3. How did they know that someone wouldn't come along and find this body almost immediately?

I think the answer to 1, 2 and 3, is because whoever put AJ there knew that the house was abandoned, knew that the owners lived out of state, and knew that no one was watching the house. What I don't know is HOW they knew that.

This is a really good point, Dockins. I can't imagine that someone just randomly rode around with a body in their vehicle looking for a good place to dump it, and just out of the blue, saw this house. 1. Yes the yard is unkept, but how would they know it was abandoned? 2. Even if they thought it was abandoned, how would they know the owners didn't live next door, or that the house wasn't looked after by a neighbor or someone? 3. How did they know that someone wouldn't come along and find this body almost immediately?

I think the answer to 1, 2 and 3, is because whoever put AJ there knew that the house was abandoned, knew that the owners lived out of state, and knew that no one was watching the house. What I don't know is HOW they knew that.

Exactly. Were the owners previous customers of certain maintenance, repair or contract services? No, I am not advocating sleuthing the owners but there IS something important about that particular address.

Exactly. Were the owners previous customers of certain maintenance, repair or contract services? No, I am not advocating sleuthing the owners but there IS something important about that particular address.

Do you mean the location may have been selected in a way that points the investigation in a planned direction and away from the perps?

Do you mean the location may have been selected in a way that points the investigation in a planned direction and away from the perps?

Well I suppose that's certainly possible as well but honestly I think it's more a matter of the location being selected because it was known to the perp to be a place no one would have a reason to look. Criminals tend to think they're very clever, and even more clever than LE. What they almost always fail to grasp is that LE investigating a case can and do take as much time as needed, follow every trail, cross reference every name, date, location, work history, etc., until they find the link that was there all along. Criminals don't take nearly as long or pay nearly as much attention to planning out the details, the way LE does in uncovering them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back