Vehicle Sightings

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Fresh tip in IOW renews search for missing Norfolk teen
By Stephanie Ballesteros
Published: April 3, 2015, 9:48 am Updated: April 7, 2015, 6:49 pm

[...]
Hines said detectives showed him a picture of a white truck belonging to Quality Plumbing. Hines said he distinctly remembers seeing the truck driving slowly down Joyners Bridge Road, but not stopping.

“She asked me if I had seen that van in the area lately, and I told her that probably within the last week and a half to two weeks, I’ve seen it come down this road and go back out,” Hines said.

Jennifer Hadsell, the missing teen’s mother, told 10 On Your Side her husband was employed by Quality Plumbing and regularly drove a white truck. She said he was periodically driving to Franklin for work when AJ disappeared. Franklin is three miles south of the area police investigated Friday.

Remains found at Southampton home ID’d as missing Longwood student AJ Hadsell
Posted 5:33 pm, April 10, 2015, by Web Staff, Updated at 07:18pm, April 10, 2015

SOUTHAMPTON COUNTY, Va. — Norfolk police said the human remains discovered in the 34000 block of Smiths Ferry Road in Southampton County Thursday are those of missing Longwood University student Anjelica “AJ” Hadsell.

[...]
Neighbors said the home has been abandoned for about two years and that no one had been seen at the home until about three or four weeks ago. It was then that a neighbor’s friend saw a blue or black Dodge Caravan go into the driveway late at night and drive around to the back of the home with no lights on.
Man who helped raise missing Norfolk teen: ‘It just doesn’t seem right
Posted 8:43 pm, April 9, 2015, by Brendan Ponton, Updated at 11:51pm, April 9, 2015

[...]
Investigators spent much of the day searching for clues in this case. Neighbors say the home where the remains were found has been empty for years. They say they heard about something strange going on there just a few weeks ago.

“A buddy of mine, about three or four weeks ago seen a newer Dodge caravan, either dark blue or black, go out there late at night and drove through the car port and into the back yard and that seemed very suspicious.”
Police: Remains found are those of missing Norfolk teen
Staff, 13News Now 9:41 p.m. EDT April 10, 2015

[...]
Patrick Gallagher lives next door. He says three or four weeks ago, he saw a dark colored Dodge Caravan pull into the driveway and carport.
"I wish I would have just listened to (my) gut and went back the next day or something," he said.

Thank you for this thread topic. I think the movement of the vehicles is going to be key.

Here are some quotes/links from Zach clarifying the family's vehicle situation. I thought it might be helpful as we ponder who-was-driving-what-and-why since vehicles play such an integral role in WH's "stories" and witness sitings. The purpose is not to sleuth family members, but to examine the accessibility of vehicles to a likely perpetrator.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?274584-VA-Anjelica-quot-AJ-quot-Hadsell-18-Norfolk-3-March-2015-5&p=11616308#post11616308
"She was being transported by her mom (usually) to and from school. Truck used to be Wes's, then was hers (gift from him), then she got another car, which I can't remember if it was having problems or she just couldn't drive cause she was a freshman or just cost too much in gas, but she was being driven by Jennifer and Josh for the most part."
The "truck" mentioned is the red truck. Regarding AJ getting another car, I'm wondering if that car wasn't sold due to the family's financial difficulties.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?274584-VA-Anjelica-quot-AJ-quot-Hadsell-18-Norfolk-3-March-2015-5&p=11617844#post11617844
"Wes drives his work van most of the time but the red truck sometimes. One is always at the house, even if he isn't."
This explains how Wes was getting around, and the basis of the red truck swap-and-drive.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?274584-VA-Anjelica-quot-AJ-quot-Hadsell-18-Norfolk-3-March-2015-5&p=11618335#post11618335
"green vehicle no longer there. trailer gone too i think"
We know that at one time the family had a large green Ford SUV with the logo of their contracting service on the doors. This vehicle also had a black trailer that could be attached to haul equipment/supplies. What happened to this vehicle? Was it sold? What vehicle did JH drive?

13 news now video of witness (Patrick Gallagher) talking about black or dark blue 2008-2012 Dodge Grand Caravan and talking about seeing a large number of Vultures circling the house.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROfHGoGWB7o
posted by hey debbie on her youtube channel

Of all the vehicle sightings, I tend to put the most credence in this one. These guys were tow truck drivers, right? Guys that I've known in the mechanics field usually KNOW their cars. I really believe the details put forth, esp. when he says they don't usually see vehicles that are this nice/new in the area, and I trust their instincts. Also, the fact that the driver went onto the property and immediately
turned his headlights off, strikes me as odd. Plus, unlike the "white car/red truck" sightings in the Tarallton neighborhood, these are straight from the horse's mouth, not from WH.

Of all the vehicle sightings, I tend to put the most credence in this one. These guys were tow truck drivers, right? Guys that I've known in the mechanics field usually KNOW their cars. I really believe the details put forth, esp. when he says they don't usually see vehicles that are this nice/new in the area, and I trust their instincts. Also, the fact that the driver went onto the property and immediately
turned his headlights off, strikes me as odd. Plus, unlike the "white car/red truck" sightings in the Tarallton neighborhood, these are straight from the horse's mouth, not from WH.
This one has always struck me as being credible as well. I know a family with a towing company and I would take their word on a make/model of car any day.

This one has always struck me as being credible as well. I know a family with a towing company and I would take their word on a make/model of car any day.

I thought it was more credible until I saw the video (Thanks, hey-Debbie!). I'm puzzled by his lack of eye contact while recounting the sighting. His statement starts about a minute in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROfHGoGWB7o&index=40&list=PLAhnhNWhzoxkhJhU60D7bS27WIVafN-dh

Maybe he is looking down because he feels guilt about not reporting sooner?

I don't know what to think about him, just his affect seems off to me.

The neighbor who says he saw the dark colored van says it was "about" 2 weeks prior to when AJ was discovered there. That puts us back to around the 26th of March. WH had already been in jail for a week at that time.

So if the timeline is fairly accurate, it wasn't WH driving that dark colored van.

My thoughts about the white truck sighting - could it possibly be a white work truck aka white van?

I thought it was more credible until I saw the video (Thanks, hey-Debbie!). I'm puzzled by his lack of eye contact while recounting the sighting. His statement starts about a minute in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROfHGoGWB7o&index=40&list=PLAhnhNWhzoxkhJhU60D7bS27WIVafN-dh

I believe that part of the reason he may have his head down because the sun was in his eyes. JMO

In addition to Mountain_Kat's observation, which appears to be true, I also think he is simply uncomfortable on camera. I'm a journalist and I would say most people are uncomfortable on camera, it's not a "natural state of being," and then add being interviewed and having to organize your thoughts "live" on camera, and people simply get nervous. In addition, many people do not feel comfortable in the spotlight and do not seek it out. He strikes me as that kind of guy.

I also suspect he does feel bad that they didn't look into it more. They probably figured it was kids partying or making out or something. KWIM?

The caravan sighting interests me most. There have been no leaks (that I am aware of) connecting anyone AJ knows or anyone Wes knows with a blue/ black caravan.
Whose was it? Why was it there? And is it connected to AJ? Seems unlikely it isn't.

The neighbor who says he saw the dark colored van says it was "about" 2 weeks prior to when AJ was discovered there. That puts us back to around the 26th of March. WH had already been in jail for a week at that time.

So if the timeline is fairly accurate, it wasn't WH driving that dark colored van.

It was the reporter who said "a couple of weeks ago" (and we know reporters have not been accurate with their reporting on this case)

But Brian Potts (a friend of one of the witnesses) who was interviewed the day AJ's remains were found) said a buddy of his saw about a
"month ago 3 or 4 weeks ago a dark blue or black dodge caravan late at night drive through the carport and in to the backyard"

video - (1:30) Brian Potts discussing his friend seeing dark dodge caravan at the house "about a month (3 or 4 weeks)" before AJ was found at the house.
http://wavy.com/2015/04/09/investigators-expand-search-area-for-missing-norfolk-teen/
:moo:

ETA - I found the 13 news now video and written story on the Peter Gallagher interview and in the interview the reporter does state "a couple of weeks ago" But if you read the Printed Story below the video it is written that
"Patrick Gallagher lives next door. He says three or four weeks ago, he saw a dark colored Dodge Caravan pull into the driveway and carport.
I wish I would have just listened to (my) gut and went back the next day or something, he said."
13 News Now
http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news...s-at-home-where-human-remains-found/25573359/

Here the same female reporter says (3 to 4 weeks ago) (1:45)
http://www.13newsnow.com/videos/new...ains-found-in-search-for-aj-hadsell/25562561/
(2 weeks ago / 3 to 4 weeks ago, I wish this reporter would pick one a stick with it!, or better yet accurately report what the witness said)

:moo:

And I think somebody mentioned this earlier, just b/c a person is very accurate on car makes/models, they may not be on timelines. It could just be "about a month ago" was a very broad estimate.

Timeline is definitely critical in this case due to WH being in jail on the 21st of March.

Maybe we could impose on zapped to re post his diagram of the driveway on this thread.

Thank you for all the time and attention Coldpizza and bessie for keeping it all flowing and organized and especially all your consideration and kindness as you do.

Bumping this thread so I can go back and read it through a second time later on today, and review the links. :)

Timeline is definitely critical in this case due to WH being in jail on the 21st of March.

As far as timelines go- thought I would just remind folks, the St Patty's Day Parade in Norfolk was Mar 14th- when some of the friends marched in the Parade. The parents were unavailable that day- the 14th, that would be the weekend before WH was arrested and the weekend after the search they ( he) hosted. I suppose people could have been in town for the parade, some people do do that. PS: I am relating this to the van with regards to opportunity and potential sources.

http://wtkr.com/2015/03/14/hundreds-line-streets-of-ocean-view-for-annual-st-patricks-day-parade/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back