Identified! CA - San Francisco, AsianFem 1273UFCA, 15-25, buried at Lake Merced, Oct'76 - Judy Gifford

Migmuu

Reaction score
I found this girl (woman?) on NamUs and was able to get her into DoeNetwork a few days ago.

1273UFCA
UP#5848

DEMOGRAPHICS
Race: Asian
Sex: Female
Height: 5'2 (62 inches)
Weight: 113 pounds
Postmortem interval: Recent
State of remains: Recognisable face

CIRCUMSTANCES
Date: October 1, 1976
Background: Man walking his dog along the shore of Lake Merced behind a pumping station noticed a small animal and walked over to get a closer look at it. When he got closer, he noticed a hand sticking out of the sand. LE was called and they unearthed the body of a young Asian woman.

PHYSICAL
Hair: Dark brown, shoulder-length or slightly longer
Other marks: Pierced ears

CLOTHING
Clothes: White sweatshirt/hoodie. Halter-type blouse with buttons on length of back and blue floral print on top half of the shirt. Size 12 Wrangler jeans. White panties and knee-length nylon pantyhose.
Jewelry: Three thin straps of leather tied to form a ring (left 4th finger), white metal Timex watch w/ crystal intact (left wrist), small gold-colored stud earrings (ears), small gold owl w/ a single link gold chain (in pocket).

IDENTIFIERS
Dentals: Available and entered
DNA: Samples submitted - Tests complete
Fingerprints: Available elsewhere

The golden owl is what caught my attention. It sounds like a pretty unique piece of jewelry. I can call and ask if the case manager is willing to provide a picture of the owl (or any of the other jewelry). Who knows, maybe we'd get lucky like the people over in the Wellington UID's thread did with the distinctive hawk shirt.

Sejalbo Lulaida is the only Asian PM in California around that time. She disappeared in November 1973. Problem is, the circumstances suggest she probably died not very long after her presumed abduction, and after 3 years I doubt she would still be recognisable (or able to provide fingerprints, which this UID has on file). There also isn't any mention in the UID's profile of a missing tooth. So IMO it's probably not her.

Owl necklaces were a big deal in the 70s. My sister bought me one in 1977 on the day of our grandmother's funeral to get me to stop crying. (I was a young girl at the time.) Owl figurines and wall paintings were popular then too.

Owl necklaces were a big deal in the 70s. My sister bought me one in 1977 on the day of our grandmother's funeral to get me to stop crying. (I was a young girl at the time.) Owl figurines and wall paintings were popular then too.

I was young in the 70s, too, and my mom had a lot of owl jewelry that I loved. My older sister gave me one of her owl pieces when my mom passed away, and I wear it often (owls are popular now, too!).

I'm not sure how large San Francisco's Asian population was in the '70s, but currently approximately 33% of SF's population is Asian. There are many undocumented immigrants here (particularly Chinese), so this unidentified lady was likely never reported missing.

Long time lurker, first time poster here. It would be nice if we could find out what sort of Asian she is, eg east Asian, Filipono, south Asian or middle eastern... etc. That might narrow down some of her background. Given the year she was found I doubt she's mainland Chinese

Just finished submitting a potential match for Song Im Joseph (missing from Rehoboth Beach since 1975). Huge gap between Delaware and California, but there appears to be similarities between some items of clothing, and she did go missing under suspicious circumstances.

DEMOGRAPHICS
Race: Asian
Sex: Female
Height: 5'2 (62 inches)
Weight: 113 pounds
Postmortem interval: Recent
State of remains: Recognisable face

CLOTHING
Clothes: White sweatshirt/hoodie. Halter-type blouse with buttons on length of back and blue floral print on top half of the shirt. Size 12 Wrangler jeans. White panties and knee-length nylon pantyhose.
Jewelry: Three thin straps of leather tied to form a ring (left 4th finger), white metal Timex watch w/ crystal intact (left wrist), small gold-colored stud earrings (ears), small gold owl w/ a single link gold chain (in pocket).
I'm thinking those jeans must have been a child's size 12...a woman's size 12 on a 113-lb. person would be quite large and falling down. If she's still wearing clothing from the kid's section, that could mean she's toward the younger end of the age range.

Unidentified Person Case

Updated ruleouts. No ruleouts or photos. :(

In 1976, size 12 was a lot smaller than it is now (also known as "vanity sizing.") She's a bit smaller than I was, and I wore a 14, so it's probably about right.
Wow, that's crazy. I was not alive then, so I had no idea. But according to this chart, it looks like a size 12 in the '70s is like a size 0 - 2 now.
2B5DEDD300000578-3198316-image-m-17_1439570364085.jpg

Just finished submitting a potential match for Song Im Joseph (missing from Rehoboth Beach since 1975). Huge gap between Delaware and California, but there appears to be similarities between some items of clothing, and she did go missing under suspicious circumstances.
I submitted the same but never heard back and they have excluded her. did you hear anything after submitting ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back