796 users online (151 members and 645 guests)  




Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37
Results 541 to 549 of 549
  1. #541
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    27,428
    Quote Originally Posted by deugirtni View Post
    Dang, I missed this.. guess I didn't miss too much though since he plead guilty and so we won't hear most (any?) of the evidence.

    I am wondering if it was the accused who, through his own actions unknown to us, prompted the police to seek a search warrant (for his phone) at the late date of July (after SM had been 'missing' since December, some 7 months earlier). Was it his own guilty conscience that led to him perhaps contacting police himself? Otherwise, what was the reasoning for obtaining his cellphone 7 months after the fact?

    It *seems* like he wasn't having a lot of remorse and guilt, considering he went about his daily life, had a publicly affectionate relationship with his new girlfriend, etc., in the meantime. It wasn't until police showed up at his door that he tried to take his own life.

    I feel so bad for JB's mother. I am not sure, but I believe he may have been her only child. So sad all around. I always think that way. Needless killing, and so many lives affected so negatively. It was graceful of SB's mom to publicly think about JB's mom's feelings. Where's his dad? Does anyone else notice how it seems to be so very often that many of these killers had a rather absent father?

    I had always suspected it was the husband, but I had thought it made more sense that he killed her and dumped her at the side of the road somewhere in the stretch between Edmonton and Calgary.

    Why is it that the man has his wife in a Tupperware bin on his porch for months after she disappears and yet police don't notice, even right away? Wouldn't that be one of the first things your eyes would go to as you took a look around? And her family also. I realize we can't be looking under beds for bodies when we visit the husband of our missing loved ones, but jeez. Would love to hear the gory details of how on earth the accused went for some 7 months unsuspected by the victim's family. Surely SB's family and friends must have realized that emotions can be volatile during a separation when spouses are still living together? And even if he had been an accepted member of SB's family, how can that potential issue be swept aside? Why was everyone too willing to believe she just nodded off into nowhere land with no contact with anyone from her life?

    Do I remember reading at one point that JB had to be taken to hospital while he was in jail?

    Are we convinced that the two 'were intimate' for one last time, just prior to her murder? I'm getting from that statement of fact that SB's body must have been naked, perhaps with his DNA in her body. (Would they be able to tell at the late date of July when her remains were found in the plastic bin?) She had been away in Edmonton, IIRC, and come home.. just prior to her 'disappearance'? There was much discussion about all of this at the time. They each had already gone on to have a new girlfriend/boyfriend, even though still officially residing together. I recall that they had always had an 'open marriage'. I guess it was okay to sleep with others, but not to 'leave'. jmo.
    The reason her body had to be at the home is because there must be cameras in the housing co-op and there was no evidence of her leaving, of him removing her body, or of her vehicle leaving the complex. She had to still be in the complex.

    There's nothing to suggest that they had sex the night she was murdered. She returned later than planned from Edmonton because of car trouble. She was not that late that she couldn't meet friends at the comedy club, but she didn't show up. She very likely went straight home, told him about the exciting opportunities in Edmonton, as well as the costs for car repairs, he got angry, he strangled her, and then he tried to figure out what to do with her body.

    He knew he couldn't take her out of the building to a vehicle without being seen, so he had no choice but to try to hide her body. He did a pretty good job of hiding her in plain sight for a long time.

    He looked guilty at the press conference - look at the concern in her sister's eyes, and the look in his eyes. Nothing in common regarding how they feel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #542
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    224
    I've been away for a while... thought I'd check on "her" (Shannon) in order to see if there were any new developments in the case. I was not expecting this. I knew JB had been arrested but I didn't now he'd plead guilty. I know this is sad and horrific, but at least he finally admitted it. I can't even imagine how betrayed by him Shannon's family must be feeling, although, at some point, someone must have had some doubts about him.

    That being said... what horrified me the most about this is how I think I could've ended up like Shannon. Let me explain... I was in an emotionally abusive relationship for ten years. I didn't leave, even though I was not happy, because we had a child together. When things were finally over between us (a year and a half ago), we kept living under the same roof, because we thought that it would be better for our child. I dealt with the fact that he had a new girlfriend... even if it made me sad and angry and... we would fight often because of that. But on the day that I wanted to go on my first date with another man, everything exploded. He just plain scared me. He left the house to go live with his new girlfriend but would come back everyday after work. He started making threats, death threats, to me, my new friend and my father. On the night that I finally called the police because I realized I was really afraid of what he could do, an officer told me that I'd done the right thing because you never know when you're the one who's going to be on the news... like in this case.

    Sorry for talking about my personal experience here... but reading what happened to Shannon really made me realize that I was lucky, in a way... while she was not. I hope her family can finally find some peace, even though this is horrific.

  3. #543
    tarabull's Avatar
    tarabull is offline My heart belongs to the BIRDS!!! #FLYeaglesFLY
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    8,432
    Leischa...

    I'm glad you & your chikd made it through...and out, not everyone does, sadly. As we see here on WS, far too many don't!

    But no looking back now, you aren't going that way.

    "Accept what it, let go of what was & have faith in what will be."

    Last edited by tarabull; 01-05-2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Fixes

  4. #544
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    20,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Leischa View Post
    I've been away for a while... thought I'd check on "her" (Shannon) in order to see if there were any new developments in the case. I was not expecting this. I knew JB had been arrested but I didn't now he'd plead guilty. I know this is sad and horrific, but at least he finally admitted it. I can't even imagine how betrayed by him Shannon's family must be feeling, although, at some point, someone must have had some doubts about him.

    That being said... what horrified me the most about this is how I think I could've ended up like Shannon. Let me explain... I was in an emotionally abusive relationship for ten years. I didn't leave, even though I was not happy, because we had a child together. When things were finally over between us (a year and a half ago), we kept living under the same roof, because we thought that it would be better for our child. I dealt with the fact that he had a new girlfriend... even if it made me sad and angry and... we would fight often because of that. But on the day that I wanted to go on my first date with another man, everything exploded. He just plain scared me. He left the house to go live with his new girlfriend but would come back everyday after work. He started making threats, death threats, to me, my new friend and my father. On the night that I finally called the police because I realized I was really afraid of what he could do, an officer told me that I'd done the right thing because you never know when you're the one who's going to be on the news... like in this case.

    Sorry for talking about my personal experience here... but reading what happened to Shannon really made me realize that I was lucky, in a way... while she was not. I hope her family can finally find some peace, even though this is horrific.
    Sorry about the rotten things you had to go through, now you are aware, frightened but enlightened and ready for a fresh walk on the sunny side of the street!

  5. #545
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,682
    I doubt anyone thought this man was capable of murder. But I think it's worth remembering, everyone has an amiglia brain underneath their rational, polite, neo-cortex. If it's a matter of survival, or reproduction, or defending their territory, a person can start acting from the signals sent out by their ancient amiglia brain, and behave exactly like a ferocious animal.

  6. #546
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    224
    Thanks Tarabull and Dotr for your nice comments. My present and future are much more brighter now. I gained a lot of knowledge and awareness from all this. It's just scary to realize that you could have been "that" person (and yes, there are so many of them...)

  7. #547
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by Satchie View Post
    I doubt anyone thought this man was capable of murder. But I think it's worth remembering, everyone has an amiglia brain underneath their rational, polite, neo-cortex. If it's a matter of survival, or reproduction, or defending their territory, a person can start acting from the signals sent out by their ancient amiglia brain, and behave exactly like a ferocious animal.
    I too, doubt that anyone thought this man was capable of murder, unless he'd already had some violent episodes in the past. I don't think Shannon's family suspected him, or at least not at first. But when you look at the press conference, he seems to be the less worried out of the group and yet, he should have been the most worried since he was his husband.

  8. #548
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    1,040
    i'm blown away he had her in a container on his patio! someone must have seen him digging and reported him, i'm sure the neighbours knew his wife was missing.

    not sure if he had a prior history of violence towards people, if he didn't that's so terrifying, to know that someone you might 'trust' could one day just up and strangle you. ugh.
    OCCAM'S RAZOR : "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best."

  9. #549
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyM View Post
    i'm blown away he had her in a container on his patio! someone must have seen him digging and reported him, i'm sure the neighbours knew his wife was missing.

    not sure if he had a prior history of violence towards people, if he didn't that's so terrifying, to know that someone you might 'trust' could one day just up and strangle you. ugh.
    Yes, the container on the patio thing is a mystery to me. How could it go unnoticed? i mean, hasn't anyone seen it and even thought about looking into it? LE? Family? It must have been covered with something... And also about the digging... like you said, someone must have seen him do it. It's not like they lived on a farm far away from other neighbours. There were other people living right besides them.

    About the fact that it's terrifying to think that someone who has no prior history of violence could just kill you one day, just like that... well, I guess there must have been something in him before he did it. Maybe he'd build much resentment towards her. They kept living together after their separation and both of them were seeing other people. Some people just cannot accept it and go "crazy" when it happens. And there is also the possibility that he'd already been abusive in the past, but that he'd never gone that far. If no one ever reported him to the police, it's easy to think that he's always been non-violent. But all in all, yes, it's very scary.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37


Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY Canada - Jessica Newman, 24, Calgary, 10 March 2015 #2
    By sillybilly in forum Trials
    Replies: 673
    Last Post: 11-25-2017, 06:17 PM
  2. Found Deceased Canada - Jessica Newman, 24, Calgary, 10 March 2015 #1 *Arrest*
    By Wynnella in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 1137
    Last Post: 05-06-2015, 08:53 PM
  3. Found Deceased Canada - Shannon Burgess, 25, Calgary, 26 Nov 2014 - #3 *Arrest*
    By dotr in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 1027
    Last Post: 04-29-2015, 01:54 AM
  4. Found Deceased Canada - Shannon Burgess, 25, Calgary, 26 Nov 2014 - #2 *Arrest*
    By dotr in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 1031
    Last Post: 02-26-2015, 08:56 AM
  5. Found Deceased Canada - Shannon Burgess, 25, Calgary, 26 Nov 2014 - #1 *Arrest*
    By dotr in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 1075
    Last Post: 12-22-2014, 08:27 PM

Tags for this Thread