CANADA Canada - Misty Potts Sanderson, 37, Alexis Reserve, AB, 13 March 2015

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Misty Potts Sanderson
p1-sn_misty_potts_and_son_gabriel2.jpg

Family holding out for justice for missing woman
Misty Potts Sanderson has an impressive pedigree. Her first cousin is Cameron Alexis, Alberta Regional Chief for the Assembly of First Nations. Her distant cousin is Treaty 8 Grand Chief and Mikisew Cree Nation Chief Steve Courtoreille. She is the highest educated in her community of Alexis Nakota Sioux Nation with a master degree in environmental studies from the University of Manitoba. She has worked for Treaty 6. She is a full participant of the culture, dancing pow wow and attending Sundance. She is respected in her home community and the neighbouring Paul First Nation, where she also has family.

Misty was “a bright light for this community,” said Alexis.

Then in 2011 it all fell apart. Her brother died and her marriage broke up. Past abuses came back to haunt her.
http://www.ammsa.com/publications/alberta-sweetgrass/family-holding-out-justice-missing-woman

Life full of promise vanishes without a trace
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...o-disappear/article24472035/?click=sf_globefb
In a 2009 documentary, Misty Faith Potts sits in a sun-drenched Alberta forest and speaks confidently about the safety of her home reserve. “Bad things happen in the world, but not here,” says the aspiring PhD student in the film wanorazi yumneze, which is about the clash of industry and indigenous values. “The creator will always protect us.”

Six years later, in those same woods, Ms. Potts’s family and friends are scouring the underbrush for any sign of the 37-year-old mother, once the academic pride of her community, who has been missing since March 14.
"This story is part of an ongoing Globe and Mail investigation into the hundreds of missing and murdered indigenous women in Canada."

Misty Potts' family continues search for missing woman
Jun 20, 2015 4:20 PM MT

Earlier this week, the RCMP said that aboriginal women go missing and are killed at a higher rate than the general population.

In the report, the agency said aboriginal women are most likely to be killed by someone they know and have pledged to make such cases a priority.

Eva Potts remains skeptical. While the RCMP constable now handling Misty's disappearance has been helpful, she's accused police of being slow to react when her sister first went missing.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...nation-near-wabamun+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Search underway for woman missing from Alexis Nakota Sioux First Nation, near Wabamun

I don't know where the reserve boundaries are, but the coordinates for the band office are Latitude: 53.751, Longitude: -114.513 (shown on the following linked map as Birch Lake, marked with the red marker). Misty was apparently last seen near Onoway and Hwy. 43. If she was on her way to visit her aunt in Wabamun, the blue line is the route that google map shows for directions:

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Waba...0d6e94ffa!2m2!1d-114.4687901!2d53.5586884!1m0

Was Misty looking for a job? There is a convicted sex offender in the Onoway / Sandy Lake area who advertises jobs available on his horse and berry ranch (as recently as today in Edmonton kijiji).

I wish we knew more about the middle of the night phone call/tip saying Misty's body was dumped in a garbage site.

Misty Sanderson is the first victim named in this post that was published last month about many murdered and missing Indigenous women.

Women continue to fall victim as debate rages on
http://www.ammsa.com/publications/windspeaker/women-continue-fall-victim-debate-rages
The cousin of former Alberta Regional Chief Cameron Alexis is one more statistic for 2015. Misty Potts Sanderson of the Alexis Nakota Sioux Nation was last seen March 14 near the northern Alberta First Nation.

Sanderson, 37, is another in a long string of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls. At the same time her family went public with a plea for help, the RCMP were releasing the name of Delores Brower, whose skeletal remains were found April 19 near Rollyview, Alta.

Figures recently released by the RCMP for 2013 and 2014 show little progress on the national front as the rate of murders and disappearances remains steady. Another 32 Aboriginal women have been murdered and 11 more have disappeared. These numbers are on top of the 1,181 murdered and missing Indigenous women, which the RCMP tallied from 1980 to 2012. These figures reflect cases in RCMP jurisdiction only. Indigenous women account for four per cent of Canada’s population.

There's a photo of Misty singing at Idle No More at West Edmonton Mall on December 18, 2012 - if you scroll thru at this link, her picture is #5 of 15:
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/12/26/photos-boxing-day-at-wem

Lots of footage on youtube from that day...the sound of the drumming makes my eyes water :crying:
[video]https://youtu.be/x2Nx4jUEZfc?list=RDd1CfslABUnY[/video]

March is coming around again...Where are you Misty?

:candle:

RSBM

There are several comments under the police report...fwiw.

The report says she wasn't reported missing until March 30??? How come?

Edited to remove text, I see the report was updated to say they confirmed she was last seen near Alexis Nakota Sioux Nation on Saturday, March 13, 2015. Misty may be travelling to Edmonton or the lower mainland of British Columbia.

Wonder if there is any truth to her being at Wildwood Bar (in the comments under the police report), its very close to Glenevis. ETA: Actually Wabamun Lake is in between Wildwood & Glenevis

[video=youtube;1G4DebQk6iY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G4DebQk6iY[/video]

1653995613328.png
2015 rbbm.
''Misty Potts Sanderson has an impressive pedigree. Her first cousin is Cameron Alexis, Alberta Regional Chief for the Assembly of First Nations. Her distant cousin is Treaty 8 Grand Chief and Mikisew Cree Nation Chief Steve Courtoreille. She is the highest educated in her community of Alexis Nakota Sioux Nation with a master degree in environmental studies from the University of Manitoba. She has worked for Treaty 6. She is a full participant of the culture, dancing pow wow and attending Sundance. She is respected in her home community and the neighbouring Paul First Nation, where she also has family.

Misty was “a bright light for this community,” said Alexis.

Then in 2011 it all fell apart. Her brother died and her marriage broke up. Past abuses came back to haunt her.

“She tried to take the good things in her life and do good with herself. I think that she just gave up because too much at one time got to her,” said younger sister Eva Potts. “I think it was too much for her.”

Misty turned to prescription drugs and more recently meth. Her boyfriend ended up in jail.

Now, Misty, 37, is missing. And presumed dead, says Eva''

''Misty was last confirmed seen on March 14 on Highway 43 and a range road outside the Alexis Nakota Sioux reserve.''

More recently, working off a reading from a psychic, they combed the Wabamun lake area on Paul First Nation. They have also spoken to healers for help. A 2 a.m. phone tip to the family on April 28 led them to an unsuccessful search of a garbage site on Highway 67 in front of Keephills. Eva was told her sister’s body had been dumped there.

“I just felt that I needed to go check. Of course I’m scared. Every day I’m scared to go search but I can’t sit at home and wonder. I can’t relax. I’ve got a lot of anxiety,” said Eva. “When I was walking through the bush (on an earlier search) I was telling my cousin, ‘What if I find Misty and there’s nothing, there’s no clues?’ These people, if they did kill my sister … is there going to be any justice?”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back