NE NE - Anwesha Dey, 30, UNL student, Lincoln, 3 May 2015

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Anwesha Dey
554d11149d2ba.image.jpg

Lincoln police ask for help finding missing woman
Lincoln police are asking for help finding a 30-year-old woman missing since Sunday.

Anwesha Dey, 30, left a friend's house near 23rd and S streets on foot about 7 Sunday evening, headed toward downtown.

Friends and family have not been able to reach her at home or by phone and say that's extremely unusual, Officer Katie Flood said in an email Friday afternoon.

Police have searched her residence but did not find anything useful, she said.

Dey is a student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Flood said UNL police have been notified and have searched parts of campus.
http://journalstar.com/news/local/9...cle_0272511a-4e43-5aed-b12a-041b68b872ce.html
http://journalstar.com/news/local/9...cle_0272511a-4e43-5aed-b12a-041b68b872ce.html
554d25fa23e50.image.jpg

She seems to be doing her PhD in Biological Sciences with an emphasis in Ecology, Evolution, and Behaviour.

http://biosci.unl.edu/graduate-student-directory-0

And here's more on her focus:

I am a first year doctoral student interested in the field of aquatic ecotoxicology. I would like to study the fate and effects of chemicals in deposit-feeding organisms, such as the marine polychaete Capitella teleta. My initial focus will be to understand how the effects in an individual reflect upon the population as a whole and construct an appropriate model to predict the long term effects on their life cycle. My future objective will be to understand the multi-generational effect of chemicals and determine if a threshold level for tolerance is reached.

http://biosci.unl.edu/forebeslab/current-members-forbes-lab

She's one of only 5 who are current members of the Forbes Lab - one is a professor / director, one is a postdoctoral researcher, one a GRA, and another a research tech - plus Anwesha as the lone PhD student.

still missing....

Incredibly sad :(

Such a woman who seemed to be very bright and with her future wide open and an ability to make a difference.

Police said the video shows the woman attempt to regain her footing, but the current ultimately carried her away.

According to police, people close to Dey have viewed the video and believe it shows her falling into the creek. Her family told investigators Dey does not know how to swim.

Crews have been searching the Antelope Creek and Salt Creek for Dey's body.

Police are asking people who have property that abuts Salt Creek, from Antelope Creek to the Platte River, to be watchful for her body.

A search team has relaunched efforts to find the body of a 30-year-old University of Nebraska-Lincoln student police think drowned after she fell into Antelope Creek.

On Wednesday, after reviewing security video from a nearby business, Police said a camera captured her fall into the creek. She didn't know how to swim and was swept away by the heavy current.

Because of flooding on Antelope and Salt creeks May 6 and 7, investigators suspect her body may have been carried downstream.

Police have asked people with property along Salt Creek from Antelope Creek to the Platte River to keep an eye out for a body or Dey's belongings.

A search team has relaunched efforts to find the body of a 30-year-old University of Nebraska-Lincoln student police think drowned after she fell into Antelope Creek.

On Wednesday, after reviewing security video from a nearby business, Police said a camera captured her fall into the creek. She didn't know how to swim and was swept away by the heavy current.

Because of flooding on Antelope and Salt creeks May 6 and 7, investigators suspect her body may have been carried downstream.

Police have asked people with property along Salt Creek from Antelope Creek to the Platte River to keep an eye out for a body or Dey's belongings.

Sad. :(

Slightly o/t, the fact that her possible fall into the creek was captured on video shows that this does happen, an now I wonder about similar cases where I am suspicious of foul play, like Amy Ahonen's case...maybe Amy really did fall into the creek?

Sad. :(

Slightly o/t, the fact that her possible fall into the creek was captured on video shows that this does happen, an now I wonder about similar cases where I am suspicious of foul play, like Amy Ahonen's case...maybe Amy really did fall into the creek?

This is a very good point. Sometimes people seem very quick to jump to the idea of foul play, but this tragic incident really illustrates how simple accidents can happen out of the blue.

I hope they find her soon, for her family's sake. :(

This is a very good point. Sometimes people seem very quick to jump to the idea of foul play, but this tragic incident really illustrates how simple accidents can happen out of the blue.

Rsbm(

Indeed. Along the same lines, o/t, I have doubted in the past when there has been a reported account of a child wandering out of the home in the middle of the night. We have talked about this in Malik's case...but there was case in Canada recently, iirc, where video captured a small child, I forget his name, he wandered out of his home in the middle of the night, 4am irrc, he went down an elevator, out thick doors, iirc, and made his way to a residential yard and bless his heart, froze to death. So yes, it appears people do fall in creeks as well as wander out of their homes in the middle of the night.

The U.S. Search, Rescue and Recovery team continued its efforts along Salt Creek Tuesday.

A less little than a half dozen crew members began looking near 40th and Superior and kept along the banks for about a mile north.

"We have a couple of our members who brought a boat today and they've put it down in salt creek and checking the banks of it," U.S. ATV Search and Rescue Team Member Brian Ehmke said.

http://www.klkntv.com/story/29107243/search-continues-for-a-missing-unl-students-body

Anwesha has been added to NamUs.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/28616

Case Information
Status Missing
First name Anwesha
Middle name
Last name Dey
Nickname/Alias
Date last seen May 03, 2015 19:00
Date entered 05/09/2015
Age last seen 30 to years old
Age now 30 years old
Race Other
Ethnicity Other
Sex Female
Height (inches) 69.0
Weight (pounds) 110.0
Dental Status: Dental information / charting is available and entered
DNA Status: Initial inquiry underway
Fingerprint Information Status: Fingerprint information is currently not available

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back