TX - Falling cemetery headstone kills toddler in Texas

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
(Reuters) -
A 4-year-old boy died when he was visiting the a Texas cemetery with his family and a nearly 100-year-old headstone fell over and struck him in the head, authorities said.

The child, whose named was not released, was brought to the Odessa Regional Medical Center on Friday where he was pronounced dead, Corporal Steve LeSueur, a spokesman for the Odessa, Texas, Police Department said on Saturday.
http://news.yahoo.com/falling-cemetery-headstone-kills-toddler-texas-033821859.html

OMG. What a horrible thing to happen - who could have ever imagined. So sorry for the family.

:(

I'll be honest, I am nervous around headstones, especially the large, older ones. Just another of the plethora of reasons I'd rather not be buried. (I do understand many belief systems require it, I am not saying no one should ever be, it's my own personal preference!!)

That is just so tragic and terribly gruesome at the same time.

When I was a kid, a bunch of us went down to a nearby cemetery "at the midnight hour." One of my older cousins was hiding and shrieked at us to scare the wits out of us. I started screaming and began to run off and stepped onto a grave, which proceeded to collapse underneath me. That was quite traumatic for a 10 year old kid. I don't know that I would ever think to keep my child away from a headstone, however. That must have been one of those really tall ones that you see now and then.

OMG. What a horrible thing to happen - who could have ever imagined. So sorry for the family.

We don't have to imagine. There was a similar incident at some point in the past year. We had a thread on it.

Not that I'm blaming those responsible for the boy in Odessa. It's still a rare occurrence. Statistically he was more likely to die in a car accident during the drive to the cemetery.

I agree with what others have said above. I also believe, if you enjoy walking through old cemeteries like myself, you teach any youngsters with you to stand at a respectable distance and do not climb on the tombstones. It is a cemetery, not a park.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back