FL - Girl, 16 mos, dies in hot car, Lake City, 12 May 2015

QueenD

Reaction score
I hate hearing about these cases.

The Sheriff's Office was told that the father forgot to take the child to day care Tuesday morning and left his daughter in the car all day. He discovered the girl in the car when he returned home.

The victim has not been named, but her mother is Assistant State Attorney Wendy Kwon, based in the Third Judicial Circuit's Lake City office, and her father is Young Kwon, a public defender.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/parents-of-child-who-died-in-hot-car-identified/32997354

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/news/local/parents-toddler-hot-car-identified/nmFtF/

A friend was telling me who knows of the Dad as a defender, that he is kind of flacky and can believe he is that forgetful. But says the Mom is a very hard nose State Attorney. So sad.

R.I.P. Little Girl

Awwwww. So Heartbreaking. It does baffle me though. Don't parents take precautions, since we have seen this so often. Like put your briefcase in the back next to the carseat? Or something? This is so tragic. :rose:

I think I am fortunate that I almost never drive without my kids.
It is so rare that I assume they are there when they are not.
I know that isn't possible for some... but each of these cases makes me grateful it's possible for me.

I will never understand how somebody can leave a baby in a car, fail to stop at the daycare, fail to see or remember the baby upon exiting the car, fail to remember the baby all day long, fail to see or remember the baby upon entering the car to drive home, maybe fail to see or remember the baby while going to lunch and coming back, fail to stop at the daycare on the way home but remember and discover the baby once they're at home. Nope, never.

It seems to me that we hear about fathers forgetting their child more so rather than mothers. This is just so tragic.

Very sad. Yesterday I saw the MA one in the news and realize this is the time of year of these accidents to happen. I can't help but wonder how many kids are left in the cars in the winter time....

I will never understand how somebody can leave a baby in a car, fail to stop at the daycare, fail to see or remember the baby upon exiting the car, fail to remember the baby all day long, fail to see or remember the baby upon entering the car to drive home, maybe fail to see or remember the baby while going to lunch and coming back, fail to stop at the daycare on the way home but remember and discover the baby once they're at home. Nope, never.

I cannot imagine what these parents are going though. It is easier than you think when you work outside of the home and are rushing around trying to take care of everything before your work day starts. I work outside of the home and once drove right past my turn to my mom's house (who cared for my son). Thankfully, I realized what I did and immediately turned around. Otherwise, who knows if I would have just driven to work and went about my day. After that I started putting my purse in the back seat.

I cannot imagine what these parents are going though. It is easier than you think when you work outside of the home and are rushing around trying to take care of everything before your work day starts. I work outside of the home and once drove right past my turn to my mom's house (who cared for my son). Thankfully, I realized what I did and immediately turned around. Otherwise, who knows if I would have just driven to work and went about my day. After that I started putting my purse in the back seat.

My little granddaughter is only 5 days old. I was visiting them last night and told my son about his little girl that died in the car seat. I just tried to plant a seed. But your wallet in the back seat, for example, when you put little Princess in the car seat.Something like that needs to be done to prevent such utter devastation. :rose:

How can you take good care of a completely dependent infant when both parents put 90% of their energy into their work day? I don't get it. JMO.

Very sad. Yesterday I saw the MA one in the news and realize this is the time of year of these accidents to happen. I can't help but wonder how many kids are left in the cars in the winter time....

How long would it take a child to die in a cold car v. hot car?

I posted this article over in the thread about the guy who was arrested this week for breaking the window of a hot car to free a distressed dog:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...-60-degrees-is-too-hot-for-pets-in-cars/19368

Also, check out Cooper Harris's thread, lots of research done on hot car deaths was posted there. Here's a link to the thread specific to hot car death research: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Science-amp-Statistics-Behind-Hot-Car-Deaths WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT

Short answer is that on a sunny day a car interior will heat up to as much as 40 degrees warmer than the exterior temperature.

ETA some of the articles in Cooper's thread related to hot car death research have very graphic and disturbing descriptions of how babies, toddlers and pets suffer as they die in a hot car. I've added a warning with the link.

Very sad.

A man in MA also left his child, a one-year-old, in the car before boarding an MBTA train Wednesday A.M. When he realized what he had done, he called 911. That one had a happy ending, fortunately.

This seems to be happening more and more frequently, and I'm sure there are other incidents we don't hear about because the situation is resolved safely as in the MA case. The father in that case said he routinely drops off 2 children in the A.M. and has a safeguard in place but failed to use it that morning. http://www.wcvb.com/news/dad-forgets-baby-in-back-of-car-calls-police-from-train/32996878

Why are parents forgetting their children in the vehicles so often these days? Is life growing more hectic, with more things to remember? It seems that, as the top priority of a parent, a child would be foremost in the parent's mind. I have wondered in past incidences whether the lapse in memory and disorganization of thought is a result of cortisone secretion in response to stress.

cause you'd never forget your purse?

Oh nooooooooooo not again.
These cases are the hardest to follow for me.
Rest in peace sweet little girl. :rose:

If I had a little one nowadays I would probably leave my cell phone in the backseat. Two pronged approach. We are all tied to the phones nowadays and it would prevent people from texting and using them while driving.

If I had a little one nowadays I would probably leave my cell phone in the backseat. Two pronged approach. We are all tied to the phones nowadays and it would prevent people from texting and using them while driving.

the only other option being prioritizing your child ahead of your phone or whatever

yes, those are called BAD parents. 'forget' implies unintentional. all of the parents who have put their children in cars and left them there to die have offered some excuse

I apologize for my grammar,geez.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back