CA - Elisabeth Martinsson, 21, Larkspur, 17 Jan 1982

MSforsyte

Reaction score
Mods please help me get the writing right, also havent found a missing thread for Elisabeth, but perhaps the body which is now identified is listed as unidentified in a thread.

Elisabeth Martinsson was a 22 year old woman which came to San Francisco 3 months prior to dissappearing. She was going shopping on January 17 th 1982 and went missing. Her car was found and foulplay was suspected on the man that was found driving the car.
Several years ago a body of ayoung woman was found outside of San Francisco which now has been identified as Elisabeth.
This was reported in several swedish papers today.

Google translate of the opening paragraphs.:
The disappearance solved after 33 years

Uddevalla The girl went to the US to work as an au pair. In January 1982 it disappeared when the 22-year-old Elisabeth Martinsson trace. Now her remains were found and identified. After all these years get her family a clearance.
Elisabeth Martinsson was born in Uddevalla in 1960. Went to the USA to work as an au pair in a Swedish family in 1981. She was reported missing Jan. 17, 1982. A man was arrested in the car Elisabeth was driving when she disappeared, but the man could never be linked to her disappearance . There were tracks in the car, but with contemporary technology was not possible to link them to Elisabeth. The man was convicted of bilstölden. He was previously convicted of robbery, rape and assault.

Her disappearance committed numerous and were widely reported in the Swedish media. Bohusläningen wrote about Disappearance first time on 2 February 1982. She had been missing for two weeks. She called and was searched by the FBI.

<snip>
The remnants of Elisabeth Martinsson found already some years ago in a forest a few mil south of San Francisco, where she was over thirty years ago disappeared, but it is only now that it has been able to identify her. The relatives have now been told and will bring home the remains to Sweden, where Elisabeth Martinsson now will be buried in his parents' grave.

There is no information on what caused Elizabeth Martinson's death.

martinsson_elisabeth.jpg

Above Image: Martinsson, circa 1982
http://www.charleyproject.org/resolved.html
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: January 17, 1982 from Kentfield, California
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date of Birth: February 2, 1960
Height and Weight: 5'3 - 5'5, 125 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Martinsson's ears are pierced. She has a wart on the underside of her foot. She wears contact lenses. Martinsson is from Sweden.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A maroon corduroy jacket, blue jeans, blue loafers, a thin silver necklace, silver flower-shaped earrings and a silver watch and a handmade hammered silver armband.

Details of Disappearance

Martinsson was a foreign exchange student living in Kentfield, California in 1982; she's from Uddevalla in western Sweden. She was last seen shopping at a shoe store in Larkspur Landing, California on January 17, 1982. She has never been heard from again.

Martinsson's yellow 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit was reported stolen. Ten days after her disapperance, it was found in Oklahoma being driven by Henry Coleman. Coleman, who had a criminal record for rape, assault and robbery, claimed he didn't know Martinson and hadn't realized the car was stolen.

Foul play is suspected in Martinsson's disappearance. She was declared legally dead in 1992.

Thanks KateB for helping, I only have an ipad and is having problems figuring out the technology with google translate etc.

Thanks KateB for helping, I only have an ipad and is having problems figuring out the technology with google translate etc.
You're very welcome, thank you again for posting this. I'm sad and happy for Elisabeth's family. And I'm hoping Valentine Sally has her name back. Patiently waiting for the US media to catch up. :)

OK, Valentine Sally was found in AZ, so she still needs to be identified. If we don't have a unidentified thread for So San Fran Jane Doe now known to be Elisabeth, we might want to move this to Missing Persons Located.

http://www.thelocal.se/20150516/swedish-woman-found-33-years-after-going-missing
The car she had been driving, which was owned by her employers, was reported stolen. Ten days after Martinsson's disappearance, the car was recovered in Oklahoma after a chase. It was being driven by Henry Coleman, a criminal who had convictions for rape, assault and robbery.

Coleman had just been released from San Quentin jail. Coleman, who had the nickname Scarface, claimed he didn&#8217;t know Martinsson and hadn&#8217;t realised the car was stolen.

http://www.thelocal.se/20150516/swedish-woman-found-33-years-after-going-missing
The car she had been driving, which was owned by her employers, was reported stolen. Ten days after Martinsson's disappearance, the car was recovered in Oklahoma after a chase. It was being driven by Henry Coleman, a criminal who had convictions for rape, assault and robbery.

Coleman had just been released from San Quentin jail. Coleman, who had the nickname Scarface, claimed he didn&#8217;t know Martinsson and hadn&#8217;t realised the car was stolen.

...and that was that? Curious to know how he got the car. Seems to me he'd be the likely suspect in her disappearance. Sheesh.

http://www.expressen.se/gt/jag-ar-glad-att-jag-fick-lara-kanna-henne/

If anyone can help with google translate, apparently it is a known fact that she let presumed killer Coleman into the car she was driving. Anyone know about when her body was found? Is there a thread here on WB about that unidentified body which turned out to be her? It was found several years ago.
This also reminds me of a case of two young swedish women whom travelled to the US and dissappeared in the end of the 70's or early 80's.

Translated in Google to English:

She had been with the [host] family for more than eight months when one day she borrowed their car and never came back. She was a very sweet and warm girl. Quite shy, but very good with the kids. Maybe a little naive, but it was enough that she was not used to the climate we have here in the United States. Perhaps that was why she let him go into the car, said Robert Blau.

The "him" he's talking about is Henry Lee Coleman, who ten days later was arrested in the car that Elisabeth Martinsson spent the day she disappeared.

As I recall, he told her that he needed a ride to the hospital because his wife would bear children. She let him go, and then she disappeared. We do not know who or what caused her death,, says Robert Blau.

http://www.expressen.se/gt/jag-ar-glad-att-jag-fick-lara-kanna-henne/

Translated to Google English:

Two clerks have later stated that they saw her at a shoe store just after the clock 16, when she bought a pair of boots.

The teacher Catherine Lord became a crucial witness. She had seen Elisabeth at the mall, my boy and I was on my way to a party when I saw a blonde girl carrying a bag from a shoe store. Elisabeth stood and looked in a shop window when a man approached her. The man was described as large and dark, with a drooping eye. Lord saw Elizabeth in the driver's seat of the car, and the man got in beside her. It is the last known observation of 22-year-old.

Several witnesses from the shopping center were questioned and several said they had seen a mysterious man nearby in the period before Elisabeth disappeared.

After an intense police hunt car was found ten days later in the state of Oklahoma.

Coleman was a known criminal and had just been released from San Quentin prison in the area where Elisabeth was last seen.

31-year-old first entered a false name, and came with several different explanations for why he was in possession of the car. Previously, he was convicted of rape, armed robbery and abuse. The explanation he finally gave was that he had bought the car in a bar six days after Elisabeth disappeared.

Because of scarred skin of the face was Coleman called "Scarface".

There was no forensic evidence linking Coleman to the disappearance. Coleman was sentenced to prison for five years for auto thefts.

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utenriks/s...-i-1982-naa-er-hun-bekreftet-doed/a/23453458/

Elisabeth Martinsson disappeared January 17, 1982 after she had gone out with his host family's car. The car was reported stolen, and ten days later ended a dramatic car chase with the 31-year-old Henry Lee Coleman and his girlfriend were arrested in the wanted car in Oklahoma.

31-year-old was sentenced to five years in prison, but he never did answer some questions about Elisabeth's disappearance at the trial.

Later they found traces of the car, but with contemporary technology, it was not to tie them to the missing Elisabeth Martinsson.

http://www.gp.se/nyheter/vastsverige/bohuslan/1.2716206-elisabeths-kvarlevor-funna-efter-33-ar

2373804929.jpg

I've been through doenet and namus and can't find any case that matches the description in the news articles. Very few cases from the San Francisco area at all.

Elisabeth Martinson Went Missing In Kentfield California in January 1982

Circumstances: Elisabeth Martinson, a foreign exchange student living in Kentfield California, went missing on 01/17/1982. She was last seen shopping at a shoe store in Larkspur Landing, California. Her vehicle, a yellow VW Rabbit was reported stolen and was later recovered in Oklahoma on 01/27/1982.

First Name: Elisabeth
Last Name: Martinson

Details

Age When Last Known Alive: 22
Race: White
Ethnicity: Other
Sex: Female
Height: 63.0 to
Weight: 125.0

City: Kentfield
State: California
Zip: 94904
County: Marin

Appearance

Hair: Blond/Strawberry
Head Hair: Short straight hair
Eye: Blue
Scars And Marks: Wart underside of one foot (unknown which one), but victim had complained it was bothering her.
Piercings: ears

Clothing and Accessories

Clothing: Blue jeans, unkown shirt, maroon corduroy jacket.
Footwear: blue loafers
Jewelry: Silver flower earings, thin silver necklace, silver thin watch with hand made silver armband that looks like 'Hammered silver'.
Eyewear: Contact lenses

Transportation

Vehicle Make: Volkswagen
Vehicle Model: Rabbit
Year: 1979
Style: Hatchback
Vehicle Color: Yellow
Tag Type: Passenger autom
Tag State: California
Vehicle was reported stolen shortly after missing person case began and was recovered in Oklahoma ten days later.

http://www.missingin.org/reg5534/elisabeth_martinson.htm

NAT_10404_1.jpg
NAT_10404_2.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member