TX - Hero of fiery crash shocked by onlookers taking photos

zwiebel

Reaction score
When Kevin Hargrove and his fiancee drove past a crashed pickup in Colleyville, Texas, Saturday and saw it glowing, he leapt into action. After pulling the driver clear and being told the man's wife was inside, he rushed back to try and save her too.

With the truck now blazing and the woman screaming for help, he called out desperately for a knife to free her from her seatbelt, or a fire extinguisher. He says he was shocked to find only people standing filming, and taking photos.

Another driver did stop and produce an extinguisher but by then it was too late as the pickup was an inferno. Kevin has cut hands but is otherwise physically okay. The driver of the pickup, 43-year-old Juan Salinas, is to be charged with intoxicated manslaughter for the death of his wife, Elva Salinas.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/06/08/...goes-back-for-passenger/#.VXbz5hUNF_8.twitter

This is such a sad example of society anymore.....everyone is too busy taking photos/filming videos to help a dying person. I can't believe what this world is coming to.

This is such a sad example of society anymore.....everyone is too busy taking photos/filming videos to help a dying person. I can't believe what this world is coming to.

I have what has elsewhere proven to be a controvertial opinion as to why society is breeding ghouls like this. All over the internet there exists gruesome imagery of people dying and being killed in horrific ways. So called "gore sites" have developed to cater to people's desire to watch such barbarity. This has inevitably had the effect of desensitising many people to the true horor of such things, which are reduced to mere viewing spectacles, things to be looked at and enjoyed in whatever way. Unless there is some emotional connection with the victim, many people have become too desensitised to care all that much anymore, or to even recognise the moral questionability of watching someone's son or daughter dying horribly for their viewing interest. Once some people have the mindset that the deaths of absolute strangers are little more than spectacles to be watched for pleasure or simple curiosity, then when they stumble across something awful in real life, their natural response is to film rather than help. Unless they are emotionally connected to the victim, it is just another awful death to put out there on film, kudos for themselves for posting it. Or just something to show their friends. Too many people have become too desensitised to the depraved immorality of thinking this way.

I have been attacked elsewhere for voicing this honest opinion, mostly by people who themselves watch this stuff and resent my inference that there may be anything immoral about doing so. And my belief that such imagery is as unhealthy for society as child *advertiser censored*, and ought to have the same legal status, has often been regarded as controvertial. But consider this.....

There is a highly graphic video out there - even on Youtube - showing a 16 year old girl being burned alive by a vigilante mob. Now if that girl were performing sexually in any way it would rightly be totally illegal. So how can it be ok to have videos of such minors being tortured to death legally available? There is a massive morality issue - a massive right versus wrong issue - here. Too many people have become too desensitised to such barbarity and view it as little more than entertainment on some level.

And the legality and acceptance of such things is turning too many people into ghouls whose first reaction - when they come across a woman trapped in a burning car and about to be burned alive - is to film rather than help. And that is a terrible indictment upon our societies.

I also believe that refusing to assist someone in mortal danger should itself perhaps be a criminal offense.

I am totally with u Jsin.....u stated it so much better than I ever could have. Thank u!

I have what has elsewhere proven to be a controvertial opinion as to why society is breeding ghouls like this. All over the internet there exists gruesome imagery of people dying and being killed in horrific ways. So called "gore sites" have developed to cater to people's desire to watch such barbarity. This has inevitably had the effect of desensitising many people to the true horor of such things, which are reduced to mere viewing spectacles, things to be looked at and enjoyed in whatever way. Unless there is some emotional connection with the victim, many people have become too desensitised to care all that much anymore, or to even recognise the moral questionability of watching someone's son or daughter dying horribly for their viewing interest. Once some people have the mindset that the deaths of absolute strangers are little more than spectacles to be watched for pleasure or simple curiosity, then when they stumble across something awful in real life, their natural response is to film rather than help. Unless they are emotionally connected to the victim, it is just another awful death to put out there on film, kudos for themselves for posting it. Or just something to show their friends. Too many people have become too desensitised to the depraved immorality of thinking this way.

I have been attacked elsewhere for voicing this honest opinion, mostly by people who themselves watch this stuff and resent my inference that there may be anything immoral about doing so. And my belief that such imagery is as unhealthy for society as child *advertiser censored*, and ought to have the same legal status, has often been regarded as controvertial. But consider this.....

There is a highly graphic video out there - even on Youtube - showing a 16 year old girl being burned alive by a vigilante mob. Now if that girl were performing sexually in any way it would rightly be totally illegal. So how can it be ok to have videos of such minors being tortured to death legally available? There is a massive morality issue - a massive right versus wrong issue - here. Too many people have become too desensitised to such barbarity and view it as little more than entertainment on some level.

And the legality and acceptance of such things is turning too many people into ghouls whose first reaction - when they come across a woman trapped in a burning car and about to be burned alive - is to film rather than help. And that is a terrible indictment upon our societies.

I also believe that refusing to assist someone in mortal danger should itself perhaps be a criminal offense.

Maybe we need a new saying,"Those who can't think or do, film."

When Kevin Hargrove and his fiancee drove past a crashed pickup in Colleyville, Texas, Saturday and saw it glowing, he leapt into action. After pulling the driver clear and being told the man's wife was inside, he rushed back to try and save her too.

With the truck now blazing and the woman screaming for help, he called out desperately for a knife to free her from her seatbelt, or a fire extinguisher. He says he was shocked to find only people standing filming, and taking photos.

Another driver did stop and produce an extinguisher but by then it was too late as the pickup was an inferno. Kevin has cut hands but is otherwise physically okay. The driver of the pickup, 43-year-old Juan Salinas, is to be charged with intoxicated manslaughter for the death of his wife, Elva Salinas.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/06/08/...goes-back-for-passenger/#.VXbz5hUNF_8.twitter

I can see several issues here. One is the camera phones. The other is the nonsense that I always here about vehicles on fire blowing up. There is always some idiot yelling "Get back, it's going to blow up". :facepalm: Passenger vehicles generally have 10 gallon gas tanks. A firecracker will make a bigger explosion then that. It's not likely anyone will ever get killed trying to help someone get out of a car fire. Burns maybe, killed unlikely.

I have what has elsewhere proven to be a controvertial opinion as to why society is breeding ghouls like this. All over the internet there exists gruesome imagery of people dying and being killed in horrific ways. So called "gore sites" have developed to cater to people's desire to watch such barbarity. This has inevitably had the effect of desensitising many people to the true horor of such things, which are reduced to mere viewing spectacles, things to be looked at and enjoyed in whatever way.

Disagree 100% about the gore site thing. I bought a 'lifetime' subscription to a site for $5 or $10 dollars a few years back. I think that more people should watch the videos and view the pictures. I think too many people are not aware of what kind of injuries the human body can take, that we are literally so close to dying or being grievously injured ourselves. In Europe and other countries stuff like that mainstream. The US needs to stop trying to hide REALITY from view. I think hiding is part of the problem. We try to keep upsetting things out of mind to the point where some people absolutely cannot handle it so they make a joke or can't understand that it is reality.

The one I joined is a 'forum' site like WS. Each piece of content is posted in its own thread so it can be discussed. The vast majority of the comments there are made by people who I cannot see standing on the side of the road filming accidents.

I think the problem is more a self absorbed one. They see the car accident and they think ' I have to film this!! Man, just think of how many views my video will get!! I'll be internet famous for this video!!!

As for helping at the accident scene - I probably wouldn't try to help. I'd just get in the way / make it worse. I know I'm pretty much useless in an emergency. I know for a fact I wouldn't film however, I have zero interest in others paying attention to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back