Canada - Jeremy Cook, 18, shot to death, London, Ont, 14 June 2015

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...emy-cook-s-killers-sought-by-police-1.3115069

"Jeremy Cook, a native of Brampton, was gunned down at about 5:15 a.m. ET on Sunday. London police found his body at the rear of a strip mall near Huron Street and Highbury Avenue in the city's north end. He had multiple gunshot wounds.

Cook had left his smartphone in a taxi and traced it electronically to an address on Highbury Avenue".

http://www.lfpress.com/2015/06/15/l...--looking-for-three-others-in-killing-of-teen

"Things like this don’t happen in London.

People don’t die over something so trivial as a lost cell phone. That might happen in more dangerous cities, but not here.

Except it did happen here to Jeremy Ryan Cook, a young aspiring carpenter from Brampton. At age 18, he had already started his own business, building and selling cottage chairs, and won a skills competition in the GTA. Cook had come to London to pursue his dreams.

He left his cell phone in a taxi on the weekend. Using a tracking device on the phone, Cook ended up in a parking lot on Highbury Ave. standing outside a 2004 silver Mazda at 5:15 a.m. Sunday.

There were three men inside and they weren’t giving the phone back to Cook, who was there with a relative, police said.

During the confrontation over the phone, one man jumped out of the car and walked away.

The driver stepped on the gas.

And that’s what Cook did what many 18-year-olds might do if someone was stealing their stuff: He tried to stop them.

Cook grabbed onto the driver’s door and held onto the car while it peeled away, out of the parking lot, heading north on Highbury, then turning east into a plaza on the southeast corner of Huron St. and Highbury, police said. Gunshots rang out. When police arrived, Cook was already dead."

This is heartbreaking. A stupid phone. So many lives taken away. My heart breaks for Mr Cooks family and friends. May he rest in peace.
Going to hug my 19 yr old son so tight tonight. Xo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.lfpress.com/2015/06/16/l...pects-in-shooting-of-teenager-over-cell-phone
rbbm.

"While the phone must have been a lifeline for Cook -- the number is attached to a recent advertisement he posted in London looking for work -- it is unclear why the three men in a silver Mazda would not return it to him and a relative after he used software to track it down to a restaurant parking lot at 5:15 a.m. Sunday morning.

One of the men in the vehicle left during the dispute over the phone, but the driver stepped on the gas. A witness told police that Cook jumped onto the car, holding onto the driver's side door.

The car travelled about 200 metres north on Highbury to a plaza on the southeast corner of Highbury and Huron before gunshots were heard."

snip>

"THE SUSPECTS

Police are looking for three black men described as being between the ages of 18 and 21
in the shooting death of Jeremy Cook.

One was wearing a white shirt with a black design.

The second man has very short hair and was wearing a black jacket or shirt and fitted hat.

The third man has a slim build and was wearing a black hat.

Anyone with information is asked to call London police at 519-661-5670 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477"

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2015/06/16/police-seek-3-suspects-in-cellphone-shooting-death.html

"Word of Cook’s death quickly spread through phone calls and social media.

“Jeremy never deserved this and it just doesn’t feel right,” Raeann Richard, 15, a friend of five years, told the Star.

“He knew how to make you laugh through any situation, very light-hearted… He’ll be missed a lot,” Richard said, describing him as a “very loving kid” who was a hard worker.

Cook’s wooden outdoor furniture-making company, Cottage Chairs, was featured on Brampton’s website for summer student businesses in 2014.

Ashley Yavtucovich, 16, had known Cook for around a year after meeting him through a friend and remembers him as someone fun to be around.

“He was honestly amazing, so smart, so funny, always positive… He had so much going for him,” Yavtucovich said, adding that Cook’s friends are especially upset over what led up to the shooting.

“Especially over such a stupid thing? A cellphone?”

I'm local to this and can't wrap my head around the loss of a child over a phone. I do believe there is more to the story that has yet to come out. I wonder how much time lapsed between leaving it in the cab and the odd hour it was being tracked at

I would like to understand a bit more of the backstory. Did Jason move to London? Was he looking for a job there? Did he lose his phone in London or back in Brampton? Did he know the people who stole his phone?

Having said that, it is heartbreaking, isn't it?

I had a friend in the 10th grade who was murdered(by an adult, unknown to him) over a pack of cigarettes. Cases like these just make me so angry.

ETA: I will add that I can sadly believe it all is just over a stupid cellphone, given my friends situation(which still years later makes absolutely no sense)

I would like to understand a bit more of the backstory. Did Jason move to London? Was he looking for a job there? Did he lose his phone in London or back in Brampton? Did he know the people who stole his phone?

Having said that, it is heartbreaking, isn't it?

Yes he moved to London according to articles from Brampton. I don't believe he knew who had his phone when he tracked it. It's quiet sad that he was starting a great life and have this happen to him

I had a friend in the 10th grade who was murdered(by an adult, unknown to him) over a pack of cigarettes. Cases like these just make me so angry.

ETA: I will add that I can sadly believe it all is just over a stupid cellphone, given my friends situation(which still years later makes absolutely no sense)

Ellabella, I have to agree. Unfortunately it isn't hard to believe because we read about this sort of thing all too often. People murdered over the smallest most insignificant things. People kill other people with seemingly no more thought than swatting a fly.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...n-phone-highlights-risk-of-tracking-apps.html
rbbm.

"Dangerous though it may be, retrieving smart phones appeals to many because of the sentimental value the devices often carry: people treat them not only as expensive gadgets, but as portable photo albums and Rolodexes containing years’ worth of personal information.

But in the wake of the London tragedy, law enforcement agencies appealed to the public with a simple message: no phone is worth your life.

“It’s a material item,” said Toronto Police spokesperson Jenifferjit Sidhu.

It’s something that can be replaced, where your life cannot be replaced. So it’s better to err on the side of caution. Do not take matters into your own hands.”

Once you realize your phone’s gone, you should deactivate it, call your service provider and report the theft to police, Sidhu said. These reports help law enforcement identify trends and potentially return the phone if it is recovered.

Police also recommend that people keep their phones protected with a code to render it less valuable to a thief and note down the phone’s unique IMEI number (it appears if you type *#06#), which can be used to blacklist the phone and prevent it from being reactivated."

He had moved to London for a job as a carpenter apprentice I believe, he had ran a small business making wood furniture according to newspaper, he was very skilled at working with wood.

I'm sure that the police know whom at least 1 of the suspects are, because the car they were driving was not stolen, the police have the car.

Such a senseless crime, to lose your life over a cell phone, how tragic for his older sister to witness it.

A young man was shot dead after he used a location app to track down his missing cell phone.

Jeremy Cook, 18, left his cell phone in a cab and used an app to find out where it had gone. He eventually arrived behind a strip mall in the London, Ontario area, and at 5:15 a.m. Sunday he and a relative walked up to a car parked behind the mall. When the car started to drive away, Cook reached for the door and then was shot multiple times.
http://time.com/3924815/teen-shot-app-cell-phone/

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/london-cellphone-shooting-jeremy-cooks-120228159.html

Cook had left his smartphone in a taxi and traced it electronically to an address on Highbury Avenue.

When he and a relative went to the address, he was confronted by three men in a car, London police Const. Ken Steeves told CBC News.

After a discussion about the phone, the men started to drive away and Cook dove onto the hood of the car. He was shot soon afterward.

Car and phone found

The car, a Mazda sedan, was found abandoned nearby, where it had hit a fence. Police also recovered Cook's phone and have obtained surveillance video from the area.
image.jpg

I just heard about this case yesterday and I am absolutely mortified. What is this world coming to when people murder other people over a cell phone? I can understand this young man wanting his phone back, for most young people they are like their life line and contain important information on them.

He left/lost his phone in a taxi and the next passenger who got in stole it. Yes he stole it, otherwise he should have given it to the taxi driver as it was not his property to take. Sounds like the suspects were out looking for trouble. At least one of the suspects was carrying a gun and they refused to give JC his phone back. Sounds planned and deliberate on the suspects part.

I won't be surprised if LE know who the guy is who found the cell phone in the taxi. London taxis have interior cameras. LE would also have their DNA. Here's hoping DNA and fingerprinting tests come back and they are already in the police data bank. I guess it's just a matter of tracking him/them down now.
ALL MOO.

Rest in peace Jeremy. :(

When Cook and his older sister arrived at the location around 5:15 a.m., the app indicated the phone was with three men who were in a nearby car. When Cook tried to retrieve his phone, the vehicle began to drive away, prompting him to grab on to the driver’s side door. Shots were fired, and Cook died from multiple wounds.

Police say the vehicle sped away, collided with a fence and then a telephone pole, before all suspects fled the scene.

Cook’s cellphone was found in the area where the suspects’ vehicle was abandoned nearby and is currently with police. The vehicle, Police say, was not stolen.

http://www.am980.ca/2015/06/17/fune...old-london-murder-victim-shot-over-cellphone/

This article is from five years ago and concerns London, Ontario, taxis.

All Aboutown cabs will have working cameras within days, he added.

"A majority of cars (already) have them," he said.

He believes his cameras will be more effective than those off-the-shelf models because they will be intergrated with other safety devices such as flashing lights.

The cameras installed last year have produced high quality images that have already been used by police, Katrolyk said.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/02/02/12709726.html

According to this article LE have surveillance video from the area. As I suggested above maybe also from the taxi. The victim found the suspects in a parking lot hopefully with surveillance and they left the victim in another parking lot hopefully also with surveillance. Highbury street in London looks like a very busy street with a lot of businesses likely with surveillance, here's hoping they can positively identify the suspects. Better yet find and arrest them. Wonder why LE hasn't put a warning these suspects could be a risk to the public? If they didn't know the victim and shot him, what makes LE feel they might now shoot some other innocent person? JMHO.

The car, a Mazda sedan, was found abandoned nearby, where it had hit a fence and then a telephone pole. Police also recovered Cook's phone and have obtained surveillance video from the area.

Steeves said that unlike in many violent cases, Cook had no connection to his attacker. He also said Cook had never been in trouble with police.

"Efforts by individuals to track their mobile devices and smart phones is linked to the extent to which we feel emotionally connected to our mobile device," said Sanjay Khanna, a mobile phones analyst with information technology market intelligence firm IDC Canada, who noted that phones now contain a significant amount of a person's data.

"Our attachment to our data is so strong that it might prompt people to not be as cautious as authorities might wish us to be."

Phones are often also costly, Khanna said, which adds to the motivation to get a device back.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ellphone-an-extreme-case-say-police-1.3115069

The area is a major section of town. Lots of big retail stores with mom and pop shops. My daughter lives less then a mile from the area and it's always a congested traffic area. Since the car was not stolen, I would have to say they know at least one person involved. Why they haven't released any info on who they maybe looking for besides a general description of 3 black men is beyond me.

In the last couple of weeks London has been ripped with a ton of violence (mainly stabbing a) and has everyone scratching their heads with what is in our waters ATM.

Myzzy unless as Constable Steeves said:

Police won’t say whether the car owner is involved, but note people do lend cars to friends and families, and not everyone is willing to provide police with information. “It’s not always clear cut. Sometimes there are obstacles we face where somebody has information and does not tell you,” said Const. Ken Steeves.

Which could be what happened in this case. If there is any gang affiliation, gang members don't rat on each other. The guy lost his car but his buddy will repay him kwim.

Here's hoping the silence in this case over the past few days is due to LE knowing the perps and trying to track them down. Why they don't put their names out in the MSM is curious to me. Unless they don't want the perps to know LE knows who they are. The other possibility is that LE have no idea who the perps are. The US border is only about an hours drive from London. I hope they didn't flea to the US. Then again if they have criminal records, they would have no hope in crossing the border.

Maybe they sustained injuries after crashing the car...here's hoping. Now they are laying low, in hiding and recuperating. Interesting to note is LE suggest they are between 18-21 years of age. Do they live at home with parents? Why are the parents not questioning them about their activities Saturday night/Sunday morning? And if they did sustain injuries, wouldn't you think the parents would be questioning them pretty hard? I guess some parents would defend their adult child in a case like this because they are amoral. If that's the case, I find that very disturbing. ALL MOO.

http://www.lfpress.com/2015/06/16/l...pects-in-shooting-of-teenager-over-cell-phone

YES! Now just to find the and his accomplices. Justice is coming Jeremy.

On Friday, June 19, 2015 an arrest warrant was applied for, charging Muhab Sultanaly Sultan, 23 years of age of Calgary, (image attached) with second degree murder. He remains at large. Police are urging the public not to approach this individual and to call 911 if he is seen.

This man is wanted in relation to the homicide on Highbury Ave that occurred on Sunday, June 14, 2015. If seen, do not approach - call 911 immediately.

.jpg

http://www.police.london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Newsroom/2015135.htm

Two London men busted for firearm and drug charges on Salisbury Avenue in northeast London

On Wednesday, January 12, 2011, at approximately 3:05 am the London Police Service received several calls regarding a disturbance on Salisbury Avenue in northeast London.

Muhab Sultan, a 19-year-old man from London had been charged with causing a disturbance; three counts of breach of probation; possession of a loaded regulated firearm; possessing a firearm knowing no authority; possessing a firearm while unlicensed; occupy a motor vehicle with a firearm; careless use/storage of a firearm; careless use/storage of ammunition and trafficking in cocaine.

http://www.altlondon.org/article.php?story=20110114111846785&mode=print

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back