CO - James Holmes Trial Discussion - Begins April 27, 2015 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldpizza

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Jury selection to begin in trial of James Holmes in Colorado theater massacre

It will have been 914 days since authorities say Holmes burst into a packed suburban movie theater in the Denver suburb of Aurora, tossed a tear gas canister into the crowd and opened fire. The first panicked 911 call came at 12:38 a.m. on July 20, 2012.

The gunshots came less than a second apart, round after round, until 12 people were dead and more than 70 others injured, some permanently, in the barrage of shotgun and semiautomatic gunfire let loose during a screening of the Batman movie "The Dark Knight

snip

The Holmes trial is expected to last much of 2015; jury selection could take until late spring. And should the death sentence be imposed upon Holmes, now 27, legal experts predict two decades of appeals.

A staggering 9,000 summons were mailed to prospective jurors in Arapahoe County. It is a net so wide that in a county with about 500,000 eligible jurors, nearly 1 in 50 residents could receive notices.

But first a jury must be seated.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-james-holmes-20150119-story.html

Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 3
Thread 4 Thread 5 Thread 6
Thread 7 Thread 8 Thread 9 Thread 10
Thread 11 Thread 12

Live Stream Link

https://twitter.com/marckmgh

https://twitter.com/anicapadilla

https://twitter.com/thegoldpatrol

https://twitter.com/trialdiariesj

https://twitter.com/larryryckman

https://twitter.com/pstenser

The Victims of James Holmes

8c31603f-6f66-4e29-b321-4203d772cba6_800.jpg

why we are here :rose:
and the 70 injured and those that love them :rose:

http://images.scribblelive.com/2015/...72cba6_800.jpg

James Holmes trial: Tears, then prosecution rests; insanity defense next

The capital murder trial of James Holmes reached a turning point when the prosecution rested its case this week, calling as its last witness a victim who survived the movie theater massacre but lost her pregnancy and her small daughter.

Her powerful testimony capped two months of work for the jury thus far.

It was also a week where the jurors themselves were in the news -- again. Another was dismissed.

~~~

Wrenching testimony
The prosecution rested Friday with heartbreaking testimony from survivor Ashley Moser.

Moser, then 25, was pregnant and was shot 3 times.

She lost her pregnancy and is now paralyzed.

She also lost her 6-year-old daughter, Veronica Moser-Sullivan, the youngest of the slain victims.

~~~

Prosecution rests
Immediately following Moser's testimony, District Attorney Brauchler declared to the court: "Your honor, the people of the state of Colorado rest."

The culmination of proceedings Friday marked day 35 and week eight of the trial.

In all, the prosecution called more than 200 witnesses. They included a wide variety of law officers, crime scene investigators, first responders, and University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus professors and students who knew Holmes in the neuroscience program.

James Holmes theater shooting trial: Defense gears up to make its case this week after prosecution rests

The capital murder trial of James Holmes reached a turning point when the prosecution rested its case this week, calling as its last witness a victim who survived the movie theater massacre but lost her pregnancy and her small daughter.

~~~

More juror issues

A total of five jurors have been dismissed in the past two weeks.

That contrasts to the first six weeks of the trial, when there were no juror dismissals.

That leaves 12 jurors and seven alternates for what could be two more months of trial. The gender breakdown is 14 women and five men.

Of the 19, the judge and the attorneys are the only ones who know which are actual jurors and which are alternates.

Here’s a quick summary of how the juror dismissals:

More at above links^^^

Thanks for the goodies and the shiny new thread CP.

I'll be in and out today and also over at the other thread for Jodi Arias restitution hearing as that is scheduled for today also.

Oops ! Just remembered we do not have trial until Wednesday for the lawyers, and Thursday for the jury.

:seeya:

I will be here Wednesday. Hope to see others too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be here as well--going thru mild withdrawal of trial :(

I know what you mean. Even my kids are asking why I'm not watching the trial!

Wow how amazing! A beautiful gift amongst a lot of pain with the trial!

Hi Friends! Checking in to say that I have been unable to post since Friday due to the reply box being 'grayed out' & unable to type in it. I wanted to reply to a lot of posts during Ashley's testimony but was unable.

I posted to a thread where this issue is being discussed & waiting on info how to fix it. I don't understand the IT stuff but it seems like the tech guy here is saying that it is a prob with each person's computer & set up. It is very random, so I wanted to post here because this was the first time I was able to.

Yes, I'm having trial withdrawal! Wonder how many docs the defense will put on? Just preparing for the 'poor jimmy' defense they stated in their opening. I don't know how convincing their case will be to the jury. I also was wondering if the prosecution will have a rebuttal after the defense? I think they would since they have the burden to prove sanity.

If anyone replies to this post & I don't reply back it's just because I will be unable to reply & again it's hit or miss. I've gone to this thread many times over the last few days & this is the first time I could post. But, I could PM to you if you like.

I will be here reading anyway on Thurs. but will miss chatting with all of you if I can't get my computer fixed! Hugs all.

Dang! I am missing this trial!

OK......truth is, Judge Samour, and Attorneys Orman & Brauchler are what I am missing. By tomorrow, I'll even miss King, Spengler and what's-her-name. So looking forward to defense's case (except those paid experts we'll have to endure.)

I am wondering if I will be able to sit through the defense team's case. They already get on my nerves.

Just a reminder.....tomorrow is also the formal sentencing date for Dzhokhar Tsarnaer, the Boston Marathon Terrorist/Bomber. I read the article in the Daily Mail today. On my Ipad it is impossible for me to cut and paste the link, sorry. The article states that the felon may speak. Guess we will have to wait and see.

I will be here but also watching the felons hearing.

I also had problems posting. I ended up logging out of tapatalk and signing back up with a different email address. That was the only thing that worked for me.

I am wondering if I will be able to sit through the defence too. I already don't like JH's team. They just annoy me! Calling him James. It just shows how desperate they are to 'humanise' him. Even the judge had to ask 'are you referring to your client?' when one of them called JH James.

Just a reminder.....tomorrow is also the formal sentencing date for Dzhokhar Tsarnaer, the Boston Marathon Terrorist/Bomber. I read the article in the Daily Mail today. On my Ipad it is impossible for me to cut and paste the link, sorry. The article states that the felon may speak. Guess we will have to wait and see.

I will be here but also watching the felons hearing.

Thanks !

Dang! I am missing this trial!

OK......truth is, Judge Samour, and Attorneys Orman & Brauchler are what I am missing. By tomorrow, I'll even miss King, Spengler and what's-her-name. So looking forward to defense's case (except those paid experts we'll have to endure.)

I think its Spec gleda could find another job announcing this g. Love her voice when she objects and gives 401...etc. Hate her objections but the way her voice can be--siri watch out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo