WI - Diane Borchardt in the 1994 murder of Ruben Borchardt

lisafremont

An open mind shouldn't mean an empty one!
Reaction score
Convicted for arranging for estranged husband, Ruben's death by getting three teenaged boys in her school to shoot him.

This Wisconsin woman was angry that her husband had had an affair and was getting the house and property in the divorce settlement.

I saw an AMERICAN JUSTICE episode on this 1994 case in which Diane was interviewed and still claims her innocence.

But her language is so interesting. She says that she hates guns but was a good shot and would have faked a hunting accident if she wanted to kill Ruben. She also says she wasn't angry at Ruben in the first place.

Diane did not take the stand. A decision "she now regrets."

"I just did whatever I was told," says Diane.

A bit of further thinking on this case. Diane Borchardt's appellate attorney was interviewed for the AJ story and he said that her defense could have taken the approach that yes, she was furious Ruben had had an affair and had booted her out of her own house but that she had no idea the students would hearing her complaints would act on them.

And that was when they laid out her defense, such as it was, which was that she wasn't angry at Ruben at all.

And it reminded me of Scott Peterson's defense: "Scott LOVED Laci and was THRILLED to be a father."

The jury didn't buy either story because they just don't pass the smell test.

She would have been much better off saying that she was angry. That would be the natural reaction to the situation. Because she said that she wasn't angry, the jury probably believed that was a lie. What would be the motivation to lie? I'd say guilt.

I can't remember. Did the boys testify against her?

I saw the movie. She was a witch who was really mean to Reuben's kids. That made me really mad. Any person who can be mean and hurt children deserves to be punished.

There was also a Lifetime movie about this case. It was excellent. I'm sorry I can't remember the name, but it is a 4 hour movie.

Seduced by Madness with Ann Margaret. It was a great movie. Does anyone know if there are any books about the case anywhere?

NewMom2003 said:
Seduced by Madness with Ann Margaret. It was a great movie. Does anyone know if there are any books about the case anywhere?
Thank you for the name, it would have made me crazy trying to remember it. I just checked Barnes and Noble, and no I didn't see any books on it.

I just saw this movie and wow. Ann Margaret was phenomenal in her role.
What a sad story. Such a senseless murder. :(
So many lives ruined for naught.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member