New Book on JonBenet coming soon

K777angel said:
There is a new book on the Ramsey case coming out Nov. 1st.
It is called, "The Last Christmas of JonBenet Ramsey" and is written by a psychologist named Laurence Smith.

Here is the link: www.laurencelsmith.com/index.html

It sounds interesting.

~Angel~
That DOES sound interesting. Thanks K777Angel. I must find out if one can pre-order this book.

Also - apparently Tom Miller has a British publisher for his book. I'll keep an eye open for it.

Sounds like another RDI/PDI book. Plus I'm always suspicious of those who have never had children saying what parents are likely to do.

I always look forward to hearing fresh ideas,from other perspectives. And hopfully this book will be one of them.

But at the risk of sounding like a "before I even read the book skeptic",I admit,after reading this snippet from the above post link:

"And what logic and psychological factors were at play that directed the actions taken by the killer, including the crime's elaborately staged cover-up, designed to project the crime onto a sexual predator type suspect?"

It seems he wrote the book with an already set theory in mind by including "the crime's elaborately staged cover-up." Not everyone comes to the conclusion that there is one.

But ... I will keep an opened mind ... I promise.

in all fairness, an elaborate cover-up does not necessarily mean RDI. it certainly seems like someone was trying to cover their tracks and point fingers elsewhere in this crime. even it was a family friend, they wanted to send the investigation in another direction. ironically enough, it seemed to send the investigation right towards the family...

Wow! This book came out of left field. Interesting.

tipper said:
And I suspect out in left field is where it will, appropriately, remain...

Tipper,

I'm curious. What makes you so quickly dismiss the book?

tipper said:
Sounds like another RDI/PDI book. Plus I'm always suspicious of those who have never had children saying what parents are likely to do.

Are you also suspicious of doctors diagnosing illnesses that they've never experienced before?

I am not suspicious of a professional TRAINED in a field of expertise when they USE their training in their analysis.

The notion that one cannot know anything about a matter unless they've "experienced" it is flawed.
The analysis or diagnosis is not based upon one's personal "experience", but rather it is based on applying the skills, knowledge and science they have been trained in and awarded degrees for.

By the way - it was the FBI who determined that this crime was indeed STAGED. Not only that, but they went on to state that there was "staging WITHIN the staging."

He may be fine and I'll ask my daughter in law, who works at a used book store to keep her eye out. However I must confess that reading his website makes me think of Gilderoy Lockhart.

Among others the quotes that caught my eye are:
Popularly held theories regarding Jon Benet’s death that exclude Patsy Ramsey and any intruder as suspects are explored to determine at what point the respective theory is no longer plausible, and implodes under the weight of its own incredulity. An exhaustive psycho-linguistic analysis

[…]

A lifelong romantic, he savors the great loves of his life, though he regrets never marrying, and possibly having a son.

[…]'It is up to future authors to document the conclusion of this drama, probably years from now."
Steve Thomas -
Former lead detective On this case

Perhaps, I am that author.

Sounds like he thinks Patsy did it otherwise theories that exclude her wouldn't implode. Psycho-linguistic analysis of someone you have never met or talked with makes me suspicious.

What's wrong with daughters?

Steve Thomas wasn't "lead" detective on this case. Is this the quality of his research?

"Perhaps, I am that author." I'll bet he's never been accused of being overly-modest.

It's entirely possible his book will be excellent, accurate, carefully thought out, and embraced by all. But I won't hold my breath.

Added: He also keeps mis-spelling JonBenet's name by making it 2 words. Where is his eye for detail?

Is this self-published? I don't see it on amazon.

Well, it's definitely a "Ramsey Did It" book. Author Laurence Smith:

"With the emergence of more details, I realized that an intruder was not responsible for JonBenet's death. Purest of logic dictated this could not be the case."

In the promotion of his book, Smith seems to be pointing to Patsy as the killer, but that could be a ploy by him to make his theory as to who the real killer is a complete surprise.

I see one interesting statement by Smith that could be a mistake, unless he knows more about the DNA evidence than we know. He said there was no DNA evidence that points to an intruder, yet we know that the mystery DNA in JonBenet's underwear is male and not a Ramsey male. Isn't that evidence of a possible intruder? Smith could, of course, be saying the killer was an invited guest of the Ramseys and therefore technically not an intruder.

It sounds somewhat like my BDI theory, which includes an underaged fifth person in the house that night who could have been the actual killer. Burke's involvement, even though he didn't kill JonBenet, would have motivated the coverup by the Ramseys.

BlueCrab

K777angel said:
Are you also suspicious of doctors diagnosing illnesses that they've never experienced before?

I am not suspicious of a professional TRAINED in a field of expertise when they USE their training in their analysis.

The notion that one cannot know anything about a matter unless they've "experienced" it is flawed.
The analysis or diagnosis is not based upon one's personal "experience", but rather it is based on applying the skills, knowledge and science they have been trained in and awarded degrees for.

By the way - it was the FBI who determined that this crime was indeed STAGED. Not only that, but they went on to state that there was "staging WITHIN the staging."
Steve Thomas considers bedwetting a sufficient catalyst for murderous rage from a parent who has no history of explosive anger or mental defect. Steve Thomas has no children and apparently cannot conceive that an experienced parent can just take bedwetting in stride. I have a highly educated, childless friend who is horrified that there are parents who don't make their kids sit down quietly while they eat a lollipop so they won't run with it in their mouth.

A degree doesn't guarantee intelligence or common-sense.

The FBI also once investigated a home invasion case against one of their own. The agent was shot and in a coma. The FBI completely missed out on the fact that the whole scene was staged and the wife had been trying to have her agent/husband killed. When he woke up he filled them in on what really happened. Completely different story from what they had concluded based on the crime scene. The FBI is made up of humans and they aren't always right.

Skills, knowledge and science are all good but they are best when grounded in real-world common sense and experience.

tipper said:
Skills, knowledge and science are all good but they are best when grounded in real-world common sense and experience.

I'll take an objective professional opinion based on FACTS (instead of "real world common sense") any day.

A psychologist does not have to have mental problems to diagnose someone who does!

capps said:
I always look forward to hearing fresh ideas,from other perspectives. And hopfully this book will be one of them.

But at the risk of sounding like a "before I even read the book skeptic",I admit,after reading this snippet from the above post link:

"And what logic and psychological factors were at play that directed the actions taken by the killer, including the crime's elaborately staged cover-up, designed to project the crime onto a sexual predator type suspect?"

It seems he wrote the book with an already set theory in mind by including "the crime's elaborately staged cover-up." Not everyone comes to the conclusion that there is one.

But ... I will keep an opened mind ... I promise.

Wellllll, I particularly liked your quote from above,

The reasons that I do like it is cuz,
a. I believe someone at the party on the 23rd, fiddled with JonBenet.
b. I believe the someone who did, was HEAVILY chastised about the fiddling.
c. I believe the chastisement was taking place when the POLICE arrived in response to the 911 call on the 23rd.
d. I believe the chastisers were too busy to answer their own door when the POLICE arrived.
e. I believe then that the sexual predator type mentioned in the quote above was in fact the fiddler from the 23rd, who most likely was made to feel like a sexual PERP during the chastisement.
f. I believe that the fiddler was much older than Burke and younger than 25.

:boohoo::boohoo:

Now then I also believe that the picture on K777angels link of Mr. Smith makes me wonder:

1. Whether Mr. Smiths hair is naturally blond.
2. Whether he really sits at his desk like that.
3. Whether he himself has children or will never perhaps even marry a woman.

I will wait til I hear from WS'ers who have actually read it, and those whose interpretive reading skills I do admire.

Camper said:
a. I believe someone at the party on the 23rd, fiddled with JonBenet.
b. I believe the someone who did, was HEAVILY chastised about the fiddling.
c. I believe the chastisement was taking place when the POLICE arrived in response to the 911 call on the 23rd.
d. I believe the chastisers were too busy to answer their own door when the POLICE arrived.
e. I believe then that the sexual predator type mentioned in the quote above was in fact the fiddler from the 23rd, who most likely was made to feel like a sexual PERP during the chastisement.
f. I believe that the fiddler was much older than Burke and younger than 25.
Camper, I don't believe I have read comments like this before from you. Very interesting that you should have come to believe these things. But before I go on - just what is 'fiddling' a euphemism for? Please spell it out.

aussiesheila said:
Camper, I don't believe I have read comments like this before from you. Very interesting that you should have come to believe these things. But before I go on - just what is 'fiddling' a euphemism for? Please spell it out.

Fiddling in this case would relate to the death scene and what has been proposed by the evidence there, a sexual scene if you will. Additionally the dictionary opened to a page where 'incest' was shown, as was the collection of words on the pages involved in the opened book.

I have made it very plain in the archives of my 8+ years in thinking, rethinking AND posting on this case. No mystery about my thoughts. They are NOT new ones.

Camper said:
Fiddling in this case would relate to the death scene and what has been proposed by the evidence there, a sexual scene if you will. Additionally the dictionary opened to a page where 'incest' was shown, as was the collection of words on the pages involved in the opened book.

I have made it very plain in the archives of my 8+ years in thinking, rethinking AND posting on this case. No mystery about my thoughts. They are NOT new ones.

We would call fiddling - "interfering with".

So Camper, you think JonBenet was fiddled with on the 23rd. Do you think this was the first time, or are you open to the suggestion that it could have been going on for some time? And why are you so sure that the fiddler was under 25?

Jayelles said:
We would call fiddling - "interfering with".

When it comes to a six-year-old female and a much older male, I would call "fiddling" MOLESTING or FONDLING.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back