Monica Caldeleria

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
candelaria_monica_small.jpg

Monica Candelaria

Victim: Monica Candelaria Suspect: Unknown

Synopsis: Sometime between 2003 and 2005 an unknown person killed 22 year old Monica Candelaria and buried her in a mesa located adjacent to 118th Street SW in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Please call the 118th Street Task Force at 1-877-765-8273, (505) 768-2450 or Crime Stoppers at (505) 843-STOP with any information you may have concerning this crime. You may also email information to Detective Mark Manary at mmanary@cabq.gov.

https://www.cabq.gov/police/contact-the-police/west-mesa-homicide-investigation

Hi, everyone, long time lurker, seldom post, but saw that there are a few of these victims that don't have any posts yet, so I hope you don't mind if I jump in to help you guys.

Here is some information on Monica Candelaria (her last name is spelled wrong in the thread title).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/us/15mesa.html

Monica Candelaria’s remains were among those discovered on the mesa. Her mother, Isabel Candelaria, said that shortly after her daughter disappeared in May 2003, she reported to a Bernalillo County sheriff’s detective that a man in her neighborhood named Isaac was overheard saying that Monica Candelaria had been killed and taken to the mesa.
Unconvinced that the police would follow up, Ms. Candelaria said her family spent nearly a month scouring the same land where her daughter’s body would be discovered years later.
A 2003 missing persons report from the Sheriff’s Department confirms Ms. Candelaria’s account. The report said that after Ms. Candelaria informed the department about Isaac, a detective had searched an area near the mesa; the report said that a human jawbone was found there but that it did not match Monica Candelaria’s. The report also shows the matter was turned over to the cold case unit, which followed leads.
“I knew my daughter was buried out there, I just didn’t know if they would ever find her remains,” Ms. Candelaria said. “Maybe some of the girls’ lives would have been saved if they had found my daughter’s body then.”

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_25155150

A 2005 police report related to the disappearance of another West Mesa victim, Monica Candelaria, indicates that there were others who suspected or knew that something bad had happened to her, too.

"On April 28, 2005, writer (a police representative) spoke to Karen Bates from State Probation & Parole, who advised that she has information that may lead to a possible homicide of (Candelaria) the reported missing person," according to the report. "Therefore, this case will be forwarded to Sergeant Argueta of the Criminal Investigations Division, Homicide Unit, for further investigation."
Candelaria, 23, was last seen alive on May 11, 2003.

Did Monica and Syllania know each other?

According to comments left by a blogger, who claims she once worked at the mission where they both stayed, after Syllania tried to reunite with her mother she then moved:

"into City Rescue Mission with Monica Candeleria, who was registered at City Rescue Mission as Monica Vasquez"

https://roseinthestorm.wordpress.com/serialkillers/bad-and-badder/

City Rescue Mission is in Oklahoma City, OK. The blogger has yet to reply to my questions.

Did Monica and Syllania know each other?

According to comments left by a blogger, who claims she once worked at the mission where they both stayed, after Syllania tried to reunite with her mother she then moved:

"into City Rescue Mission with Monica Candeleria, who was registered at City Rescue Mission as Monica Vasquez"

https://roseinthestorm.wordpress.com/serialkillers/bad-and-badder/

City Rescue Mission is in Oklahoma City, OK. The blogger has yet to reply to my questions.

That is a really good question. I saw that blog as well, and have not been able to find anything that confirms or disputes it. It seems that since Monica was already rumored to have been killed when Syllania was at the shelter, it could not be true, but it really is impossible to know for sure. I did notice, though, that when Monica Candelaria was said to have been at the shelter, that she used the name Monica Vasquez. Is there a way to confirm whether or not she was known to use Vasquez as her last name? I, personally, am leaning toward it NOT being the same Monica Candelaria, but am trying to find anything to confirm or deny this information, to no avail, I am afraid.

Interestingly enough, I have found a reference to another victim being heard from two months after being reported missing, as well. This is so bizarre.

http://krqe.com/2014/01/31/does-apd-...-mesa-murders/

When Cinnamon didn’t turn up for a birthday in December of that year, Wilhelm knew something was wrong.
On Dec. 15, 2004, a missing persons report was filed. Not long after, Wilhelm received an ominous telephone call from a young woman named Virginia Cloven.
“She said Cinammon and Michelle had been murdered,” Wilhelm said.
Turns out, Virginia Cloven had herself been reported missing two months before she made that call. Turns out, Virginia Cloven’s remains were discovered later, in February 2009, in a shallow grave near 118th and Dennis Chavez SW — not far from the remains of Cinnamon Elks and Michelle Valdez.

Then we have also seen a blog that says that victim Syllania Edwards was staying at a shelter with Monica Candelaria months after Monica had been reported missing. Is it possible the killer was holding them, making them work for him, for a time prior to murdering them??? But, even if so, it makes no sense that Virginia would have been able to make this phone call....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back