PA PA - Alfred Barnes, 40, Chestnuthill, 19 Oct 1968

JusticeWillBeServed

Reaction score
In October of 1968, Alfred Barnes was shot and killed in a remote field in Pennsylvania. His car was stolen and was later found abandoned in New Jersey. The case went cold for years until 2013, when investigators tracked down Richard Keiper, who was living in Texas. Keiper was on the suspect list in 1971 but for unclear reasons, he was never tracked down and questioned. When he finally was questioned, he confessed to the murder claiming that it was self-defense.

Bethlehem Steel employee's murder case went cold after alleged killer joined traveling carnival

A Texas man accused of killing a Bethlehem Steel Corp. employee in 1968 told police he shot the other man during a struggle for the gun inside a car in a remote Monroe County field, court records say.

Police solved the 45-year-old killing of Alfred Louis Barnes, 40, of Market Street in Bethlehem, after they tracked down Richard Franklin Keiper, 67, of Boyd, Texas.

Keiper allegedly confessed to Texas Rangers, who interviewed him Sept. 24. Authorities announced the arrest today, a day before the 45th anniversary of the homicide.

Keiper told two versions of what happened with Barnes. In both, Barnes offered him a ride. One version includes a third man named "Steve", who came up with the plan to rob Barnes. Keiper maintained that he acted in self-defense but enough evidence was presented to demonstrate that this did not happen. Keiper was convicted of first degree murder in July of 2015 and will be sentenced in October.

Jury finds Keiper guilty in 1968 Chestnuthill Twp. killing

According to Keiper, he was walking home from a car show in Allentown, where he was living at the time, when Barnes, a stranger he’s never seen before, drove up to him twice and offered him a ride. Keiper accepted Barnes’ third offer, having no car of his own and thinking it would be nice to ride around in a brand new one, and the two drove around for awhile, eventually arriving at what would become the death scene.

Keiper said Barnes pulled a gun on him and that he grabbed the gun in self-defense when it went off three times during a struggle in the car. Keiper said he then ran about 100 to 150 yards from the car, realized he still had the gun in his hand and then threw it away, though police later found no gun in that area.

Keiper acted alone, the prosecution said in its closing argument. Though Keiper denied any homosexual activity between him and Barnes, the prosecution said he knew Barnes was trying to pick him up for a homosexual tryst and knew society’s stigma against homosexuals at the time made Barnes a vulnerable robbery target.

Victim's nephew testifies in 1968 Chestnuthill killing

Man convicted of murder in Bethlehem Steel company worker's 1968 death

Picture below is of Barnes, taken sometime during the 1950's.

550x309

It's satisfying to see these older cases being solved and someone being convicted.

"Man gets life without parole in 1968 killing of Bethlehem Steel employee"

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-monroe-county-1968-cold-case-sentence-20151001-story.html

Richard F. Keiper will spend life in prison without chance of parole for the 1968 killing of a Bethlehem Steel employee in a remote field in western Monroe County.

Thursday's sentencing capped a cold case that state police Trooper Donald Marsh took on two years ago while assigned to a criminal investigations unit with the Hazleton barracks.

My Victim Impact Letter for the Murder of my Beloved Uncle Alfred Barnes

https://vivianmayedwards.wordpress.com/2015/10/02/my-victim-impact-letter-for-the-murder-of-my-beloved-uncle-alfred-barnes/

When I first learned that there was a faceless monster, who had admitted to mercilessly murdering my dearly beloved Uncle Alfred Barnes 47 long years ago, in northeastern Pennsylvania; time stood still. My heart stopped for a moment, but the pain of it all anguishes still. Mr. Richard Keiper was apprehended at last in Boyd, Texas by the Pennsylvania State Police and Texas Rangers. They are to be thanked for his long-awaited arrest. Our long-overdue prayers were finally answered, when this faceless monster was finally discovered and victoriously uncovered.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3256731/Hitchhiker-69-murdered-man-steal-new-Ford-Thunderbird-40-years-ago-sentenced-life-prison-without-parole.html

2CFC879000000578-3256731-image-m-18_1443731395963.jpg

I recently went to a grt concert at the stacks....and can't wait to go back. They also do tours of sm buildings. It's now mainly for artisans, musicians, and all kinds of venues.

So grateful that sm semblance of justice can finally be metered out!

Bethlehem Steel secretary's killer fails in bid for freedom

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/bethlehem/index.ssf/2016/11/bethlehem_steel_secretarys_kil.html

A 70-year-old Texas man convicted in one of the United States' oldest cold-case trials should remain in prison for life, a Pennsylvania appeals court ruled Monday.

Keiper appealed his sentence to the Pennsylvania Superior Court. Repeating claims made in a motion for mistrial last year in Monroe County Court, Keiper argued the prosecution improperly raised the testimony of Quaquo Kelly. It was Kelly's 1971 statements to police that led to Keiper's arrest.

When the time came for trial last year, Kelly was deemed in too poor health to testify — but only after the Monroe County District Attorney's Office introduced Kelly's claims in opening statements at Keiper's trial.

The county court ruled against a mistrial, as did the Superior Court, having determined the prosecution's reference to Kelly's claims did not unduly prejudice the jury, according to Monday's ruling.

"The trial court concluded that the combination of mentioning Kelly in the opening statement and then not calling him as a witness did not render the jury incapable of returning a true and just verdict," reads the Superior Court's ruling, in concurrence with the county court.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back