NJ - Ortwin Janicki, criminally insane, escapes psych hospital, 17 July 2002

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A criminally insane killer who escaped from the Trenton Psychiatric Hospital yesterday remained at large last night and outraged area police say the hospital has yet to notify them that a murderer is on the loose.

Michael Janicki, 22, sentenced to indefinite hospital confinement, slipped off the campus yesterday afternoon and has not been seen since.

Brown said the Human Services police force is "working closely" with local police in a "round the clock" manhunt for the South Brunswick man.

But police in the towns closest to the hospital say they were never even told a violent offender had escaped.

"This is outrageous," said Ewing Police Lt. William Grocott. "We got a call Tuesday afternoon about a routine walk-away from the hospital. We were given no indication that he was violent."

http://www.nj.com/news/times/regional/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1125562191310150.xml&coll=5&thispage=3

Oh my god, it seems like the people from the hospital totally dropped the ball on this one. I can't imagine living in the neighborhood surrounding the hospital. I'd be so afraid to go anywhere. I wonder why all the Krol's aren't kept in a more secure unit, these people are there for committing serious crimes.

A man my dad works with lives near a psychiatric hospital and once found a patient wandering around on his driveway when he came home from work one afternoon. He called the hospital and they confirmed he was missing and came to pick him up. It left me thinking how this could happen...

From January 2009:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/01/suicide_victims_family_seeks_d.html

His mother, Cheryl Janicki, recalled their telephone conversation on Aug. 16, 2005, about his revelation to the therapist. "I told him I was proud of him and that he handled the situation exactly as he should have," she said.

But the hospital's response did more harm than good, according to his family, his journal entries and a wrongful-death lawsuit that prompted a hearing against the state that begins Monday. Instead of providing more therapy and encouragement, his treatment team took away his job and off-site visits, and delayed plans to move him to a less-restrictive unit.

Janicki walked out of the hospital on Aug. 30 and ended his life. His decomposed body was found in the woods on the hospital grounds on Sept. 6, 2005. Authorities ruled his death a suicide; a blood-covered plastic knife was found nearby...

State officials have said Janicki was one of 80 patients who escaped or left the hospital without permission in 2005.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back