Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #62 ~ the appeal~

Status
Not open for further replies.

KateB

Reaction score
Parole Board Recommends Oscar Pistorius Be Released In August
June 08, 2015
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ommends-oscar-pistorius-be-released-in-august
Pistorius was convicted of culpable homicide, which The Guardian compares to manslaughter. The South African broadcaster eNCA reports that prosecutors are appealing that conviction. They're asking a court to convict him, instead, of murder, which carries a longer sentence.

As eNCA reports, there is a possibility that Pistorius could be out on parole and then, if prosecutors are successful, he could be sent back to prison.

Oscar Pistorius out on probation in August
8 June 2015
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33049312
Oscar Pistorius is set to be released on probation on 21 August, South African prison authorities say, after serving 10 months in jail for shooting dead his girlfriend.

Previous thread:
Discussion Thread #61 ~ the appeal~

Link to Oscar Pistorius Forum Index: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?536-Oscar-Pistorius

Here's the link to the CVs of the SA Appeal Court judges outlining their experience and background.

http://www.justice.gov.za/sca/judges_cv.html

It would be great if some of those more experienced professionals were selected for the OP appeal come November. (One can only live in hope!)

Can guess that James Grant would be hoping for selection of someone like Mr. Brand and Brand gets a lot of credit by other high ranking advocates in SA for his u'standing of the application of the relevant laws. (He provided a great explanation of dolus eventualis in State vs Humphreys 2013*. Pointed out by Judge Dennis in http://mg.co.za/article/2014-11-06-breathless-oscar-book-muddles-law. )

So you can pick your "fantasy football league" for a full bench of five judges for the Appeal:) Naturally everyone, regardless of their persuasions, will be hoping for the most experienced members.

For the sake of context for UK posters it's worth a look at a link to the current UK appeal judges. No CVs on this one, just brief resumes. (No point me linking US, Aus.... equivalents as those best appraised by those nationals.) Of course I am well aware of the unique difficulties here for SA, as a "young nation", so the comparison can seem very stark.

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/you-and-the-judiciary/going-to-court/court-of-appeal-home/coa-biogs/

(An unhappy reminder perhaps but by contrast the best details on Masipa are on linkedin and wikipedia.)

* Snippet from that.
"Subjective foresight can be proved by inference. Moreover, common sense dictates that the process of inferential reasoning may start out from the premise that, in accordance with common human experience, the possibility of the consequences that ensued would have been obvious to any person of normal intelligence. The next logical step would then be to ask whether, in the light of all the facts and circumstances of this case, there is any reason to think that the appellant would not have shared this foresight, derived from common human experience, with other members of the general population"

Of course Brand did "reduce" the taxi driver's verdict on appeal as he inferred the driver did not possess the subjective foresight that he would harm himself regardless of the passengers. OP of course, testified he knew the dangers of shooting in enclosed (tiled) spaces but more than that, all the facts of the OP case infer he did have the subj. foresight......

Aftermath #1582:
All your opinion, of course. What run of incoherencies?

The vomiting tended to occur when details of Steenkamp's injuries were referred to - but I am sure you know that really. The tears were pretty consistent throughout the trial. So he wasn't sobbing enough when he was sent down for you to believe him?!

As long as OP required tears and choke to deny his guilt, he howled and spat.
When the verdict fell, it was too late for manipulation and he immediately stopped it and behaved "normal" - too normal (as if he knew in advance which will be spoken judgment).

When the verdict fell, it was too late for manipulation and he immediately stopped it and behaved "normal" - too normal (as if he knew in advance which will be spoken judgment).

I was just wondering - if he really did think there was intruder where do you think he would have become upset, if at all?

......that was another big mistake on his part......acting is his second nature !

....................The Coincidence List...

...has anyone remarked the number of coïncidences that night.:

1) St Valentines.

2) Pistorius unusually slept on the other side of the bed that particular night due to a bad back (the same bad back that carried Reeva down the stairs).

3) It was just at the moment when he supposedly got up to bring the fan/s in that Reeva went to the WC.

4) It was just at the moment when he supposedly got up to bring the fan/s in that he heard a noise in the bathroom.

5) The ladder was against the wall and the bathroom window open.

...if i think of more i'll come back to this...............

Re. your coincidences list Colin,

I think it takes a special kind of arrogance to assume that people will believe anything as incredible as his ever-changing account. But we know those kind of people exist and I have no doubt that behind closed doors OP laughs at those kind of people he views as "suckers".

An example of OP's take on Zuma was the infamous drunken nightclub fight July 2014 where he is alleged to have said "p*** on Zuma" .

‘My family owns SANDF. Zuma works for us. I’ll piss on Zuma’,”

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/20...lub-fracas-after-insulting-zuma-family-report

And whilst we know judges get it wrong regularly, it takes a special kind of inadequacy to make as many mistakes as Masipa revealed in her reasoning, I think OP made a few statements that show he knew he could "get away with it" in the context of S.A., no disrespect to that fabulous nation. (Roux's experience far outweighed Masipa, he must have been *advertiser censored*-a-hoop when he was told that she was appointed.)

And it takes a special kind of person to "get off" a charge of DE in this case.

I was wondering FG, how many years does it take to get to the Court of Appeal in Germany? Some of those UK appeal judges I linked to were barristers for 40 years pre appointment to Appeal Court.

Re. your coincidences list Colin,

I think it takes a special kind of arrogance to assume that people will believe anything as incredible as his ever-changing account. But we know those kind of people exist and I have no doubt that behind closed doors OP laughs at those kind of people he views as "suckers".

An example of OP's take on Zuma was the infamous drunken nightclub fight July 2014 where he is alleged to have said "p*** on Zuma" .

‘My family owns SANDF. Zuma works for us. I’ll piss on Zuma’,”

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/20...lub-fracas-after-insulting-zuma-family-report

And whilst we know judges get it wrong regularly, it takes a special kind of inadequacy to make as many mistakes as Masipa revealed in her reasoning, I think OP made a few statements that show he knew he could "get away with it" in the context of S.A., no disrespect to that fabulous nation. (Roux's experience far outweighed Masipa, he must have been *advertiser censored*-a-hoop when he was told that she was appointed.)

And it takes a special kind of person to "get off" a charge of DE in this case.

My bbm, thank you!

I was wondering FG, how many years does it take to get to the Court of Appeal in Germany? Some of those UK appeal judges I linked to were barristers for 40 years pre appointment to Appeal Court.

I will try to find out. :)

1) St Valentines.

2) Pistorius unusually slept on the other side of the bed that particular night due to a bad back (the same bad back that carried Reeva down the stairs).

3) It was just at the moment when he supposedly got up to bring the fan/s in that Reeva went to the WC.

4) It was just at the moment when he supposedly got up to bring the fan/s in that he heard a noise in the bathroom.

How do you think this sort of post proves anything? It is opinion and neither evidence nor argument based on evidence.

How do you think this sort of post proves anything? It is opinion and neither evidence nor argument based on evidence.

.......i thought you said there's no point in discussing anything with me, you don't keep your word do you.........So again you're wrong, it's not my opinion neither anyone else's, all this came from Pistorius himself......repeat.....all this came from Pistorius himself.......repeat.....all this came from Pistorius himself..................... goodbye

Different witnesses- psychologists, social worker, policeman, neighbour- all testified to the level of distress pistorius showed either on that night or subsequently.

He has been diagnosed with major depression and PTSD. His shaking and vomiting etc are symptoms of PTSD.

At the time of sentencing the details of the injuries he had caused were not explored again, so the trigger for such behaviour was not present. I think there was also some speculation about whether he had been dosed up with anti-depressants for sentencing. Certainly it was discussed on the couple of forums I followed.

Different witnesses- psychologists, social worker, policeman, neighbour- all testified to the level of distress pistorius showed either on that night or subsequently.

He has been diagnosed with major depression and PTSD. His shaking and vomiting etc are symptoms of PTSD.

At the time of sentencing the details of the injuries he had caused were not explored again, so the trigger for such behaviour was not present. I think there was also some speculation about whether he had been dosed up with anti-depressants for sentencing. Certainly it was discussed on the couple of forums I followed.

...a more restrained post coming from Mr Turner's nicer side.........hey,come on now, it wasn't just when Reeva's injuries were discussed that he started blubbing........it was whenever he was in difficulty !

One may find an excuse for almost everything.

bbm= It was also discussed that OP as an athlet had learned early in his career to vomit if needed. Only 1 example. - And he needed to do this.

1) St Valentines.

1) ?? It was valentines night the next night.

2)but photographic evidence of muscle tape for injury in police photos gives support to this claim

3) yes a coincidence. But makes sense given that he was locking up/ closing curtains for bed: they were about to go to sleep, so she nips off to the toilet first.

4) no- he heard the noise after he brought the fan (s) in. If she went to the bathroom when he was getting the fans in (as in 3) above) and she opened the window - that is what he would have heard...the coincidence here is that she opened the window as he moved away from the fans, meaning he could hear the noise.

5) no. There was no ladder against the wall. The coincidence is that earlier in the week he says he spoke to the contractor about securing the ladders.

If pistorius is telling the truth about thinking there was an intruder then the whole thing is a catastrophic coming together of coincidence, context, ill-judgement and fear.

1) ?? It was valentines night the next night.

2)but photographic evidence of muscle tape for injury in police photos gives support to this claim

3) yes a coincidence. But makes sense given that he was locking up/ closing curtains for bed: they were about to go to sleep, so she nips off to the toilet first.

4) no- he heard the noise after he brought the fan (s) in. If she went to the bathroom when he was getting the fans in (as in 3) above) and she opened the window - that is what he would have heard...the coincidence here is that she opened the window as he moved away from the fans, meaning he could hear the noise.

5) no. There was no ladder against the wall. The coincidence is that earlier in the week he says he spoke to the contractor about securing the ladders.

If pistorius is telling the truth about thinking there was an intruder then the whole thing is a catastrophic coming together of coincidence, context, ill-judgement and fear.

...i didn't mention "Valentines night"...... "In the early morning of Thursday, 14 February 2013, Steenkamp was shot and killed by Pistorius at his Pretoria home" as for the ladder even if he had thought they were being used the coincidence is that again it falls on that night and is very convenient......the same applies to having chaged sides due to an "injury"....how do you know she opened the window ?.......

When OP entered the toilet and saw his dead bloody warm girlfriend with defect scull and nevertheless with a nice doll face, then he didn't need to howl anymore, he didn't need to vomit, nothing. He was a little bit "sad" and cowered over her body - that was it.
When he should look at the photos, he again (as usual during trial) began to cry and vomit, the whole pallet. 1. I think he was ashamed in front of the public and 2. he did know he shot her willingly and no intruder had ever been there.
Perhaps he even was ashamed of his brazen lie - but I think rather not. He had to "survive".

...a more restrained post coming from Mr Turner's nicer side.........hey,come on now, it wasn't just when Reeva's injuries were discussed that he started blubbing........it was whenever he was in difficulty !

Of course he cried when he was in difficulty ie when he felt confused/ frustrated/ pressured / misunderstood/ tricked etc. It can hardly be a surprise, given that he was accused of deliberately murdering his girlfriend!

I was talking about the vomiting and shaking as symptoms of PTSD.

Of course he cried when he was in difficulty ie when he felt confused/ frustrated/ pressured / misunderstood/ tricked etc. It can hardly be a surprise, given that he was accused of deliberately murdering his girlfriend!

I was talking about the vomiting and shaking as symptoms of PTSD.

I'm sure PTSD can be represented easiest. I mean: faked easiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni