Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans?

TexMex

Punishment is justice for the unjust.
Reaction score
Do You Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans--- Lyrics
Louis Armstrong

Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans
And miss it each night and day
I know I'm not wrong... this feeling's gettin' stronger
The longer, I stay away
Miss them moss covered vines...the tall sugar pines
Where mockin' birds used to sing
And I'd like to see that lazy Mississippi...hurryin' into spring

The moonlight on the bayou.......a Creole tune.... that fills the air
I dream... about Magnolias in bloom......and I'm wishin' I was there

When that's where you left your heart
And there's one thing more...I miss the one I care for
More than I miss New Orleans

The moonlight on the bayou.......a Creole tune.... that fills the air
I dream... about Magnolias in bloom......and I'm wishin' I was there

When that's where you left your heart
And there's one thing more...I miss the one I care for
More.....more than I miss.......New Orleans

--------------Thought about this old song-------maybe we can put some memories of any good times, good friends, good music, good food we have had in New Orleans.....

Saw the Rolling Stones in the Superdome in 1989!

On another trip ate blackened redfish at K Pauls Kitchen--shared a table with a couple from the West Coast a couple from the East Coast and us from the Gulf Coast...............

-Riding the Natchez down the Mississippi
-Cafe du Monde
-Breakfast at Brennans
-Mint juleps at the Court of the Two Sisters
-Perfume from Hove'
-Pecan pie at the Magnolia Grill
-Art of Ron Picou
-Dinner at Pascal Manale
-Music! Music! Music!
-Walks in the Garden District
-The French Market
-Boys tap dancing in the streets

marrigotti said:
-Cafe du Monde
-Breakfast at Brennans
-Perfume from Hove'
-Art of Ron Picou
-Dinner at Pascal Manale
-Music! Music! Music!
-The French Market
My grandmother (father's mother) was born and raised there. Dad lived there after college and worked for the state of LA as a chemist, before US Army service. His two first cousins lived and worked there all their lives. Every Thanksgiving I flew from Tallahassee, FL (FSU) to NO to spend time with them. I was taken all over NO and ate at the best resturants. One cousin was the secretary to the Chief of Naval Operations there, the other was an executive in the LA Rice Commission.

Over the years, my parents had been given or bought many cookbooks. I have in my possession several. Including, I believe one of Commander's Palace and one on receipes of major resturants. I also have an ancient cookbook compiled by The Times Picayune Newpaper back in the 1920's. When I go home, I can check the books for some favorites to see if they're in the books.

I do make Bannanas Foster at home on occasion.

marrigotti said:
-Cafe du Monde
-Breakfast at Brennans
-Perfume from Hove'
-Art of Ron Picou
-Dinner at Pascal Manale
-Music! Music! Music!
-The French Market

Brennan's Breakfast is great--I had the eggs with trout!

Blind Eddie at Pat O's...

BarnGoddess said:
My grandmother (father's mother) was born and raised there. Dad lived there after college and worked for the state of LA as a chemist, before US Army service. His two first cousins lived and worked there all their lives. Every Thanksgiving I flew from Tallahassee, FL (FSU) to NO to spend time with them. I was taken all over NO and ate at the best resturants. One cousin was the secretary to the Chief of Naval Operations there, the other was an executive in the LA Rice Commission.

Over the years, my parents had been given or bought many cookbooks. I have in my possession several. Including, I believe one of Commander's Palace and one on receipes of major resturants. I also have an ancient cookbook compiled by The Times Picayune Newpaper back in the 1920's. When I go home, I can check the books for some favorites to see if they're in the books.

Post your address so we all know where to go when we have a hankering!:blowkiss: <----kissing up big time for an invite to dinner:D

I'd like to add mine...

~ Strolling through Jackson Square with the one you love
~ A Pimms Cup and muffaletta at Napoleon House
~ Shrimp n' Grits at Uglesichs
~ Swamp tours by airboat
~ Karaoke at the Cat's Meow
~ Jazz at Preservation Hall
~ Grape Crush at Laffite's
~ Second lining at Jazzfest
~ Sunday Gospel Brunch at Praline Connection

Linda7NJ said:
Post your address so we all know where to go when we have a hankering!:blowkiss: <----kissing up big time for an invite to dinner:D
Just post a receipe you may want and I'll check out the books for you. Tex, I had trout almandine at Brennans. My mother always ordered Crab Imperial at Commander's Palace. I still have my Hurricane glass from Pat O'Briens. We ate at a little dive on the river a lot for lunch. My first raw oysters washed down with beers. Walks down Bourbon Street. A visit to feed swans in Audobon Park. Staying at their historic home in the Garden District. So much more.

Ahhh, almost forgot the beignet's with cafe au lait. I believe somewhere I do have the french donut receipe.

Also, a very special receipe from our family history. Gumbo, the real thing, not commercial and spiced up with too much tomato. Also a handwritten receipe my dad secured from the son of an owner at Arnaud's for their shrimp sauce.

BarnGoddess said:
Just post a receipe you may want and I'll check out the books for you. Tex, I had trout almandine at Brennans. My mother always ordered Crab Imperial at Commander's Palace. I still have my Hurricane glass from Pat O'Briens. We ate at a little dive on the river a lot for lunch. My first raw oysters washed down with beers. Walks down Bourbon Street. A visit to feed swans in Audobon Park. Staying at their historic home in the Garden District. So much more.

Also ate at NOLA, one of Emeril's restaurants: Rib eye on a bed of roasted garlic mashed taters

http://www.brennansneworleans.com/breakfastmenu.html

Believe I had.....

EGGS ST. CHARLES
Poached eggs atop
delicately fried trout with
Hollandaise sauce.
Suggested Wine - Fume Blanc
29.00 / Bottle

Pat O Brien's --waiter talked me into having their 'strongest drink', a Skylab
cause in the morning you'd feel like the Skylab (back in the 70's) fell on your head. 3 bars at Pat O's...Lobby, the Patio and the Piano

Loved the turtle soup at Felix's.
And the jazz brunch at House of Blues.
And the Gumbo Shoppe.

TexMex said:
Also ate at NOLA, one of Emeril's restaurants: Rib eye on a bed of roasted garlic mashed taters

http://www.brennansneworleans.com/breakfastmenu.html

Believe I had.....

EGGS ST. CHARLES
Poached eggs atop
delicately fried trout with
Hollandaise sauce.
Suggested Wine - Fume Blanc
29.00 / Bottle

Pat O Brien's --waiter talked me into having their 'strongest drink', a Skylab
cause in the morning you'd feel like the Skylab (back in the 70's) fell on your head. 3 bars at Pat O's...Lobby, the Patio and the Piano

YUM, I had the Eggs Hussard but I wanted to try the Eggs St. Charles. I had that along with a few brandy milk punches.

Pat O's, the nicest waiters in the quarter.

marrigotti said:
-Cafe du Monde
-Breakfast at Brennans
-Perfume from Hove'
-Art of Ron Picou
-Dinner at Pascal Manale
-Music! Music! Music!
-The French Market

Had the BBQ shrimp at Pascal Manale's

Music---love Big Al Carson at the Funky Pirate on Bourbon St.

TexMex said:
Had the BBQ shrimp at Pascal Manale's

Music---love Big Al Carson at the Funky Pirate on Bourbon St.

That is what I always order there. I have the recipe, if you are interested. It is in my Italian American cookbook.

marrigotti said:
That is what I always order there. I have the recipe, if you are interested. It is in my Italian American cookbook.

Sure PM me...

Someone gave us a cookbook years ago called "Who's your momma, Are you Catholic and Can you make a Roux?" by Marcelle Bienvenu who is a good friend of Emeril Lagasse

BarnGoddess said:

I think Paul Pruddhomme was head chef at Commamnder's Palace before he opened K Pauls on Chartres

Bannanas Foster at Brennan's is so good...

I just got my New Yorker. The haunting cover illustration, called "Requiem" might interest those who loved NO.

Love this thread, I'll echo what some of you wrote.

Cafe du Monde - anytime of day
strolling along the Riverwalk with hubby
carriage rides through the Quarter
partying at Razzoo's
karaoke at Cat's Meow
jambalaya at Gumbo Shop - the BEST!
Emril's
street performers/artists/musicians in Jackson Square
French Market
spontaneous performances by a jazz band
Mardi Gras - of course!
Mike Anderson's
pralines

And last but not least "throw me somethin' mista"

Spent a horribly hot Father's Day in NO one June. Finally decided to go to the Aquarium for some A/C and wound up watching an IMAX film about Mt. Everest--all that snow sure did look good on a 99 degree day!

This thread is cheering me up.

Last trip, I had a deep fried grilled cheese from The Clover Grill. They took each piece of bread, dipped it whole into a vat of butter, threw in four pieces of cheese and fried it. OMG heavenly. Another yum is the strawberry cream cheese stuffed french toast at Elizabeths. And, we met the nicest shuttle driver ever, he helped us plan our cross country drive to San Diego from Boston, he even gave us the road map from his car. We used that map everyday of the trip. I have had some of the best experiences in that city...

Olivia77 said:
I'd like to add mine...

~ Strolling through Jackson Square with the one you love
~ A Pimms Cup and muffaletta at Napoleon House
~ Shrimp n' Grits at Uglesichs
~ Swamp tours by airboat
~ Karaoke at the Cat's Meow
~ Jazz at Preservation Hall
~ Grape Crush at Laffite's
~ Second lining at Jazzfest
~ Sunday Gospel Brunch at Praline Connection

Shrimp n grits sounds great Olivia.

Jackson Square (Andrew Jackson the Hero of the Battle of New Orleans) reminds me of the long history of the city established in 1718.

Went to the Cat's Meow years ago.......saw the Rolling Stones at the Superdome in 1989--and they were OLD then!

Was there one weekend when the Tenn. Volunteers were playing football. I have never heard "Good Ole' Rocky-Top" sung SO many times in every bar we went to.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back