CA CA - Lara Antonia Lykiardopoulos, 21, San Francisco, 9 Nov 1999

Romulus

Inactive
Reaction score
Lara Antonia Lykiardopoulos

Missing since November 9, 1999 from San Francisco, California.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

• Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 66.0 inches - 130-0 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Red/Auburn hair; brown eyes.
  • Clothing: Gray Adidas jacket with blue stripes, white tank top, blue jeans.
  • Dentals: Is available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Lara Lyklardopoulos was last seen after breaking up with her boyfriend. Her vehicle, a red Jeep Cherokee, was recovered at the employee parking of the Golden Gate Bridge. K-9's tracked her scent to the entrance path of the bridge, however she was never found.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Marin County Sherriff's Office
Detective Heather Rock

Phone
(415) 473-7278

Lara's NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9648

News article from 3 days after her disappearance: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Police-Families-Search-For-2-Missing-in-S-F-2897537.php
Her ex-boyfriend has been questioned and cleared of any wrongdoing.

The two had broken up six months ago, and Lykiardopoulos had been treated for depression. Her family told investigators she was not suicidal.

''The family says they can't see any reason" why she would disappear, said sheriff's Deputy Debra Samuel.
[...]

Samuel said a camera that monitors the bridge did not show anyone jumping.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Lara Antonya Lykiardopoulos – The Charley Project

Lara Antonya Lykiardopoulos
  • lara_antonya_lykiardopoulos_1.jpg
  • lara_antonya_lykiardopoulos_2.jpg
Lykiardopoulos, circa 1999

• Missing Since11/09/1999
  • Missing FromSan Francisco, California
  • ClassificationLost/Injured Missing
  • Date of Birth06/19/1978 (41)
  • Age21 years old
  • Height and Weight5'6, 130 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA black bra, a white tank top, a gray Adidas jacket, blue jeans, gray and tan New Balance shoes and multiple silver hoop earrings in both ears.
  • Medical ConditionsLykiardopoulos was being treated for depression at the time of her disappearance, but her family stated she was not suicidal.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Red hair, brown eyes. Lykiardopoulos's ears are pierced multiple times and her navel is pierced. Her natural hair color is red, but she dyed it dark brown or black prior to her disappearance.
Details of Disappearance
Lykiardopoulos was last seen at the Justice League club on Divisadero Street in San Francisco, California on November 9, 1999. She apparently became upset after speaking with her former boyfriend. She has never been heard from again.

Her red 1989 Jeep Cherokee with the California license plate number 4ELD195 was later found in the employee parking lot, near the toll booths on the San Francisco side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Search dogs tracked Lykiardopoulos's scent to the entrance patch of the bridge, and witnesses reported seeing someone on the bridge at 10:00 p.m.

Lykiardopoulos's family says she was not suicidal at the time of her disappearance. She was a student at the University of San Francisco in 1999. Her ex-boyfriend is not considered a suspect in her case, which remains unsolved.

These bridge cases are so sad. There are too many of them. It surprises me that there were not multiple cameras (monitoring entry on both sides, as well as the bridge itself) even in 1999. The article sounds like there was only 1 camera? If true, a better system could have saved so many families from years of wondering if their relative actually went onto the bridge. Just my opinion.

I wish we knew what the conversation with the ex-boyfriend was about, especially since he was cleared.

Like did she want him back? Did they still have each other's stuff? Was this the first time they'd seen each other after the break-up six months ago?

What specifically did she say, and how did she say it?

I find it interesting that, according to this article, "Witnesses said she was distraught after talking to her ex-boyfriend." Not that they were arguing, for example, but that she was distraught. Maybe that's a clue to her mental and emotional state at the time.

I am going to be extremely honest here about my opinion of what happened to her:

-Lara is in the club having a good time.
-She's sees her ex, and old wounds are opened.
-Either she approaches him or he approaches her.
-They get into an argument, probably about the failed relationship, and he could have said something to make her feel "distraught" or she said something to him that made her feel guilt
-She leaves the club, depressed about the argument, and jumps off the Golden gate Bridge in the heat of the moment.

That is how I think everything happened.
I wish we knew what the conversation with the ex-boyfriend was about, especially since he was cleared.

Like did she want him back? Did they still have each other's stuff? Was this the first time they'd seen each other after the break-up six months ago?

What specifically did she say, and how did she say it?

I find it interesting that, according to this article, "Witnesses said she was distraught after talking to her ex-boyfriend." Not that they were arguing, for example, but that she was distraught. Maybe that's a clue to her mental and emotional state at the time.

I am going to be extremely honest here about my opinion of what happened to her:

-They get into an argument, probably about the failed relationship, and he could have said something to make her feel "distraught" or she said something to him that made her feel guilt
-She leaves the club, depressed about the argument, and jumps off the Golden gate Bridge in the heat of the moment.

Yeah I agree 100% with this scenario.

I also think the ex-boyfriend was "cleared" because maybe cameras inside the club showed that he remained there after she left.

Yeah I agree 100% with this scenario.

I also think the ex-boyfriend was "cleared" because maybe cameras inside the club showed that he remained there after she left.I
What is weird to me is that the ex has never spoken up publicly about her disappearance. Which leads me to believe he may have said something during the argument that triggered her to make that fatal, heat of the moment decision.

I wish there was a way to dig deep into newspaper archives to see if we can at least get a name of her ex.

I just happened to copy and paste Lara's name into Google search, and I found this video.

The person claims to be Lara's best friend and said that she did indeed jump off the Golden Gate Bridge, which confirms pretty much mines and everybody else's beliefs.
Oh wow, great find! Yeah she seems pretty certain that suicide is in fact what happened. Lara's best friend would've known her very well... in some ways maybe even better than her parents. There are just some things we would never tell our parents, especially in young adulthood, but we would confide in a close friend.
What is weird to me is that the ex has never spoken up publicly about her disappearance. Which leads me to believe he may have said something during the argument that triggered her to make that fatal, heat of the moment decision.
Totally possible and maybe he feels guilty about that. Or it's also possible she overreacted and he doesn't want to mention her words out of respect for her memory? I think the truth is somewhere in between.

Oh wow, great find! Yeah she seems pretty certain that suicide is in fact what happened. Lara's best friend would've known her very well... in some ways maybe even better than her parents. There are just some things we would never tell our parents, especially in young adulthood, but we would confide in a close friend.

Totally possible and maybe he feels guilty about that. Or it's also possible she overreacted and he doesn't want to mention her words out of respect for her memory? I think the truth is somewhere in between.
I think the only way this case can be solved is if skeletal remains can be found washed ashore, and DNA evidence can conclude if it's Lara's or not.

But whatever she is at, I just hoped she found comfort. RIP.

I think the only way this case can be solved is if skeletal remains can be found washed ashore, and DNA evidence can conclude if it's Lara's or not.

But whatever she is at, I just hoped she found comfort. RIP.
Skeletal remains would be a nice way to at least provide closure. I don’t believe it’s really possible at the Golden Gate, unfortunately. Bones would not move in the currents, so a deceased person could only wash ashore prior to becoming completely skeletonized. There are exceptions like when a foot and shoe float to shore. It is so populated here in the Bay Area, I think we would have found signs on the shore before now. But I hope all family and friends could be so lucky as to get some proof either way. Having a missing loved one must be an open wound that cannot heal.

Skeletal remains would be a nice way to at least provide closure. I don’t believe it’s really possible at the Golden Gate, unfortunately. Bones would not move in the currents, so a deceased person could only wash ashore prior to becoming completely skeletonized. There are exceptions like when a foot and shoe float to shore. It is so populated here in the Bay Area, I think we would have found signs on the shore before now. But I hope all family and friends could be so lucky as to get some proof either way. Having a missing loved one must be an open wound that cannot heal.
Exactly. Such a sad case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back