Paranoia Setting in?

2luvmy

RIP Ragdoll. You don't get to choose how you're go
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I am usually a thread stopper so I try not to post too much, but here it goes.
Plus this might have been mentioned elsewhere aI am missing it.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about this and wonder if I am just being paranoid?

Obviously other countries are watching this disaster unfold like the rest of us. They are seeing how unorganized these rescue efforts are and how one end of our gov't doesn't seem to know what the other end is doing. They are seeing just how unprepared we actually are.

I am starting to worry that this will open the door for more terrorist attacks. I just picture them now rubbing their hands together and plotting their next big attack. Now they know that is it possible that many parts of our country aren't able to handle a rescue and recovery effort on such a large scale.

Now would be the time to "kick us while we're down". Any thoughts?

True - although terrorists, or even other countries usually spend a lot of time planning and setting up the big attacks. 9/11 was in the works for years. Everything they've done fast has been little stuff, and they haven't really managed to hit us again, in spite of some real attempts. I think if they haven't pulled it off up to now, they're probably not able to do anything serious right now.

I stated the same opinion just a few days ago to a dear friend of mine...
We are showing the world how inept we really are to handling disasters-and showing our weakest link. By the way...when I post...it seems to stop threads too (so don't expect this to go far!) lol

I think handling a terrorist attack and a natural disaster are apples and oranges. So I'm not worried about it...tonight.:banghead:

True...they had things in planning...but honestly how hard would it be for them to now research what other things we are neglecting...bridges, dams, water supplys. Granted NO was affected by a natural disaster, but what if a terrorist thought about breaching one of the levies?

9/11 was swift and organized in its efforts at recovery, clean up etc, but what about everywhere else? We have seen that NO is not. We have truly shown that we can come together as a people, but I am really starting to question how well prepared the people are we have put in place to protect us, they obviously can't come together and help us during our current crisis.

Honestly, if NO is rebuilt and the levies are reinforced, we have now shown the world a point of vulnerability. No one can man the levies 24/7. What other things has our gov't neglected to focus their attention on that either by natural disaster or man-made disaster will bring another area of our country to its knees again?

2luvmy said:
True...they had things in planning...but honestly how hard would it be for them to now research what other things we are neglecting...bridges, dams, water supplys. Granted NO was affected by a natural disaster, but what if a terrorist thought about breaching one of the levies?

9/11 was swift and organized in its efforts at recovery, clean up etc, but what about everywhere else? We have seen that NO is not. We have truly shown that we can come together as a people, but I am really starting to question how well prepared the people are we have put in place to protect us, they obviously can't come together and help us during our current crisis.

Honestly, if NO is rebuilt and the levies are reinforced, we have now shown the world a point of vulnerability. No one can man the levies 24/7. What other things has our gov't neglected to focus their attention on that either by natural disaster or man-made disaster will bring another area of our country to its knees again?
I happen to agree with you. No one knows if they haven't got a plan in the ready, just waiting for the perfect time.
A series of minor hits all at once, could do as much, if not more, than one biggie.

I agree w/ you, and the thought has crossed my mind in the last week as well. Seeing how everyone on the news is saying "How could this happen", it may very well give terrorists an idea that the US isn't up to par on handling emergencies on such a large scale and give them new ideas on what they could do here. (I'm not bashing the US at all, this was such a huge catastrophe that I don't think any amount of planning could have prevented some of what has happened)

2luvmy said:

I have been doing a lot of thinking about this and wonder if I am just being paranoid?

Obviously other countries are watching this disaster unfold like the rest of us. They are seeing how unorganized these rescue efforts are and how one end of our gov't doesn't seem to know what the other end is doing. They are seeing just how unprepared we actually are.

I am starting to worry that this will open the door for more terrorist attacks. I just picture them now rubbing their hands together and plotting their next big attack. Now they know that is it possible that many parts of our country aren't able to handle a rescue and recovery effort on such a large scale.

I don't think you're being paranoid. (At least I hope not, because the same thoughts have been occurring to me, too.) But I think the terrorists already know our *achilles heel*, and I think it's our electrical grids. Without electricity we have NOTHING. No cell phones, no gasoline pumps, no computers, etc. No way of communication and no way to escape.

The mass confusion in N.O. is a good example, on a smaller scale, of what could happen if terrorists managed to disrupt several electrical grids in key areas across the nation. And I won't even let myself think too hard about the *looting and shooting* that began in just hours after Katrina disabled the gulf states. Can you just imagine that going on nationwide?

I don't even like thinking about what I just typed. :eek:

2luvmy said:

Now would be the time, too, with all the military we have down there and all the focus on that part of the country - are we leaving ourselves wide open? I hope HLS hasn't let their guard down!

poco said:
Now would be the time, too, with all the military we have down there and all the focus on that part of the country - are we leaving ourselves wide open? I hope HLS hasn't let their guard down!

I think our country has an idea that the terrorists of the world will take any opportunity to strike the country when it's already vulnerable. It was all over the press just where our President was when the hurricane struck. People have criticized the President going to California. Perhaps - and this is just my own thoughts - that was a security measure because it was not what others would have expected....fly to the stricken area, mayb? fly to Washington DC, maybe? But California - kind of unexpected. I think a priority is keeping the President on the move at times. And the VP - did anyone know where he was? Well, there may have been a reason for that also. Should the President be taken out - we have to have a commander in chief. There is a HUGE picture that not everyone at ground level sees.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back