Lowered flags?

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I've only seen a handful of flags lowered. Why is that? They're saying there could be about 10,000-12,000 people dead.

Jeana (DP) said:
I've only seen a handful of flags lowered. Why is that? They're saying there could be about 10,000-12,000 people dead.
The flags were lowered for Rehnquist not Katrina. He was buried yesterday so not sure how long the "half-mast" was for. A lot of people didn't do it - it was lost in the Katrina coverage.

cynder said:
The flags were lowered for Rehnquist not Katrina. He was buried yesterday so not sure how long the "half-mast" was for. A lot of people didn't do it - it was lost in the Katrina coverage.

there's a Presidential resolution that came out first for Katrina and lasts until September 20th I believe. I'll look for the link.

Gov. Perry declared flags at half-mast for both Rehnquist and Katrina, until September 20th.

DEPUTYDAWG said:
Gov. Perry declared flags at half-mast for both Rehnquist and Katrina, until September 20th.
Is this nationwide or just Texas? I haven't heard about anything but Rehnquist and I am IN TEXAS so it appears the "word" hasn't gotten out. Perhaps it needs to be restated by Bush and the states again. People have been a bit preoccupied - so much going on - a Holiday weekend, school starting, 9/11 anniversary, Supreme court, Katrina.

cynder said:
Is this nationwide or just Texas? I haven't heard about anything but Rehnquist and I am IN TEXAS so it appears the "word" hasn't gotten out. Perhaps it needs to be restated by Bush and the states again. People have been a bit preoccupied - so much going on - a Holiday weekend, school starting, 9/11 anniversary, Supreme court, Katrina.

I don't know Cynder, I actually hadn't heard anything Bush had done on a national level re flags. I've been preoccupied....

All I know is Tuesday morning, we received teletypes and a copy of Perry's executive order to have flags at half-mast until September 20th, for Rehnquist and Katrina. And since I'm not in charge of the flag poles here (Adjutant is), I didn't read all the detail; but it was saying something about our State buildings had to, but others such as private businesses, etc. were "encouraged" to do the same.

In Dallas, there's one car dealership that's got three or four HUGE American flags and they've been lowered. Other than one or two other businesses, that's all I've seen. I think its a shame.

I think people just don't know - I am sure that they would gladly do it if they got the info. I didn't know anything about lowering them for Katrina (Rehnquist is all I heard) so I would have been among the ignorant myself.
OT (just wondering) Is 9/11 considered a "half-mast" day now?

cynder said:
I think people just don't know - I am sure that they would gladly do it if they got the info. I didn't know anything about lowering them for Katrina (Rehnquist is all I heard) so I would have been among the ignorant myself.

I think people are allowed to take it upon themseves to recognize that we're going through a national tragedy here with up to 25,000 body bags being ordered. I'm not sure why they'd need to wait to be told to do it. It always puts a lump in my throat to see it though.

I don't think that 9/11 will be done every year. But I remember after 2001, with people driving around with their headlights on all day, people standing on over passes holding American flags, etc. Tore my heart out.

cynder said:

Usually once the President issues the resolution - it is filtered down to the State levels because so many federal buildings are in the different States. And also, most of the time, if the President issues a resolution then the Governor will follow suit and issue one for State buildings and all governmental buildings, etc. I found out through my municipality - because I'm the one that gets that type of information. Then I let all my city buildings know. Then people and businesses in town begin to follow suit also. Usually I know it's coming when the Post Office has their's lowered in the morning, then I know I'll get the information that day usually.

cynder said:
The American Legion calenders indicate days such as 9/11, Pearl Harbor Day, Memorial Day, etc. be half-mast days. They should probably have a Katrina remembrence day, if the death toll gets into the thousands.

Pook said:
Our flag at work, in Michigan, is at half mast.

I have a flag pole and flag at my home we lowered it on 8-30. Many in my town have done the same and we have placed large purple bows on the flag poles with a banner that says "Katrina Victims". It has really caught on here.

Ocean

oceanblueeyes said:
I have a flag pole and flag at my home we lowered it on 8-30. Many in my town have done the same and we have placed large purple bows on the flag poles with a banner that says "Katrina Victims". It has really caught on here.

Ocean

Hubby is a veteran and he lowered our home flag the minute the post office did. Purple bows haven't been introduced here yet. Good idea tho.

Jeana (DP) said:
Flags in NO are half mast. I've seen the photos.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back