Janet, the soccer all-star!

OriginalJerseyGirl

CERTIFIED FLYERS FANATIC!
Reaction score
Many of us have noticed that when we do searches for information on this case, there are quite a few references to Janet's soccer days on the Internet. I'd like to use this thread to spotlight Janet's wonderful accomplishments in the sport of soccer.

Please feel free to add anything you might find or to start other threads to help us learn more about Janet, her talents, her hobbies, her happy times. Personal recollections would be especially wonderful!

I'm sure I speak for many of us that would love to know the special things that made Janet the person that she was.

It'd be nice if this could be all positive things about Janet without references to anything dark or negative.

University of Dallas

2002 USCAA Women’s Soccer All-Tournament Team​

Alise O'Neil- Warren Wilson
Alice Baker- Warren Wilson
Collier Reeves- Warren Wilson
Amber Haralson- UT Tyler
Stephanie Maxwell- UT Tyler
Tori George- Southern Virginia
Lindsey Butler- Southern Virginia
Janet Abaroa- Southern Virginia
Maddy Brink- University of Dallas
Kelly Scofield- University of Dallas

MVP of Tournament- Liz Mikkelsen- University of Dallas

Nice thread JG. We talk about the dark side so much, it's nice to focus on Janet's life too!!!

Copying this here from the media thread (I've edited parts of the full article for this thread):

http://www.southernvirginia.edu/New...2005_apr28.html
Janet Christiansen Abaroa, SVU Class '00

Janet Christiansen Abaroa attended Southern Virginia University as a freshman in August 1998. As a freshmen Mid-Fielder, from Annandale, VA, Janet was a pioneer who helped make history at SVU as a member of the inaugural women's soccer team. She helped lead her team to back-to-back National Small College Athletic Association (NSCAA) Championship victories in 1998 and 1999. Her sister and teammate Erika Christiansen was also a member of the 1999 championship team and SVU Class of '03. Janet graduated with her Associates Degree in Social Sciences in Dec. 2000.

Janet was a Scholar Athlete......she returned to SVU in August 2001 to complete her last two years. As an upperclassmen, Janet received post-season honors as a United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) Academic All-American (cumulative 3.5 GPA or higher) in 2001 & 2002. She was a member of the President's Honor Roll (4.0 GPA), USCAA Player of the Week (Oct. 1-7, 2001) and a member of the USCAA All-Tournament Team in 2002. Janet experienced great athletic accomplishment, academic success and spiritual development during her 4 years at SVU.

What a nice tribute to Janet, SES. Too bad her hubby didn't think to post it some where.

Southern Virginia Volleyball and Cross-Country Win USCAA National Title

Women’s Soccer - Second Place

...In the second match, SVU defeated Warren Wilson College of Asheville, North Carolina, 4-0. Senior Janet Abaroa led all scorers with two first half tallies off assists by Liz Bates and Tori George...

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Despite being dejected over the loss of the national championship, this years Lady Knights have much to celebrate. They have four All-Americans: Sonnet Dunn (second time), Liz Bates, Jill Christensen and Erika Christiansen. They also have four Academic All-Americans: Sonnet Dunn (Third time), Janet Abaroa (Second Time), Erika Christiansen and Sara Judd, who earned the highest GPA in the nation amongst the USCAA athletes. Earning all national tournament honors were freshmen Tori George and Lindsie Butler and Senior Janet Abaroa. Of the six seniors on the SVU Lady Knights team, five have been or are academic All-Americans with the average GPA being a 3.6.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“I’m so proud of these young ladies. They put up a good fight and never gave up. Most importantly, they played with class,” commented head coach Joe Bouchelle. The seniors on this team have never finished lower than second in the nation and each one has played on a national championship team.[/font]

janeta1.jpg

If anyone has a pic of Janet playing soccer, or simply a soccer team pic, etc., that could be included in this thread, that would be great!!! Post here if you'd like, or if you'd prefer, send it to a member to be posted! Thanks!

Janet was part of both NSCAA National Championship teams. 98, 99. The inaugural season was not an easy one. The team was small, but close to each other. The experience level of the team varied greatly. We had a great time and learned alot at the same time. Janet was a great soccer player, and was in excellent shape. She would just run and run. She was a great asset to Southern Virginia's soccer program.

Thank you so much for sharing that! :clap:

Do you have any special memories of Janet or stories you could share?

Again, thank you!

Marstan said:
What a nice tribute to Janet, SES. Too bad her hubby didn't think to post it some where.
...no kidding........the "oh, but he did!" site:

http://www.2nutmeg.net/

..............is beyond pathetic as a memorial to janet.........

Abaroa, who grew up in Annandale, Va., and her husband were avid soccer players.

On Wednesday, students and faculty at Southern Virginia University in Buena Vista, Va., were remembering Abaroa, a strong student and star on the small university's first women's soccer team, former coach Joe Bouchelle said.

"She worked hard," Bouchelle said. "She was an incredible athlete."
http://nao-proxy.nandomedia.com/news/durham/story/2353510p-8731092c.html

You all know this case is near to my heart. I just had a realization that literally made my stomach turn.

As painful as this must be for Janet's entire family, I got to thinking about Erika. My daughters are very close in age and are not only sisters, but teammates as well. The bond between them is so strong. They know all of each others secrets. They know no matter what happens in this world, they have each other.

I can just visualize two little girls in their soccer uniforms chasing a ball. The loss for Erika I'm sure is particularly painful.

Erika, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Janet was a wonderful loving mother, good wife and beautiful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spartan12!!
Back