Tiny homes are where the heart is in Tennessee

zwiebel

Reaction score
At Green Street Church of Christ in Tennessee they've lent their land to a community of micro-houses, built by Infinity Fellowship and springing from an idea of Roger McGue and Dwayne Jones, when they were missionaries in Haiti.

True to their name, the houses are tiny. But to homeless people who've been living on the streets, they are a tiny paradise with their privacy, safety, a locking front door and a window.

The Reverand Jeff Obafemi Carr raised the money for the homes, by erecting one on Monroe Street and staying there for the five and a half weeks it took him to raise $50,000.

The first resident to move in said, 'It felt good...it felt like a home'

6 houses have been built so far, but there are room for 25, so fundraising continues.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/humankind/2015/08/27/humankind-tiny-houses/32412457/

*I am smiling about this news but...I built a tiny home (garden house) in my own yard about twice this size, for half the cost. Does $7,500 for each tiny house seem a little expensive to anyone else?

Attachments

• 635761940854203676-635757370638873715-tinyhome-01.jpg
    635761940854203676-635757370638873715-tinyhome-01.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 72
Sounds like someone is making some money cause 7500 is too much for that. I can buy a big shed at Lowe's for cheaper than that and much bigger. I can buy a 10 x 20 for less. Something seems off about it to me.

My 21 foot rv cost less than that and it has everything you need..

Mmmm. Thought it was maybe the insulation was expensive, but I can see the board they used, and I used the same. Plus I added another layer, then lined the inside with a wood finish again, so it looked good.

Maybe their windows added to the cost. I made my own.

Sounds like someone is making some money cause 7500 is too much for that. I can buy a big shed at Lowe's for cheaper than that and much bigger. I can buy a 10 x 20 for less. Something seems off about it to me.

My 21 foot rv cost less than that and it has everything you need..

Thanks for that. I really wasn't sure of my doubts about the costs because I'm not in the area. Or even the country, in fact. :)

I have no idea, but after a bit of googling I think it's probably the right price, depending on what they have to pay for labor and transport.

What a great story. Thanks for sharing. :)

I went looking could not find any plans for these, I saw they are built on a trailer frame. The shell could be built for $2000 but if there is plumbing, and electrical - and a small kitchen - and that is without labor could be closer to $7500.
I would like to see plans then this could be a much bigger movement than the few they have.

There is no plumbing....The electrical is run by generator. Still not seeing 7,500. As I stated they can buy used rv's cheaper and with way more accommodations. JMO

A folding Murphy bed hung from one wall, offering a place to sleep. The generator-powered abode also contained a mini-refrigerator, a microwave and a heating/air-conditioning hybrid unit, keeping him comfortable on muggy summer nights. There is no bathroom, and finding public facilities was a challenge he shared with many of this city's homeless. But the security of the residence overshadowed the hardship.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back