TX - Gilbert Flores, 41, killed by LE on video, San Antonio, 28 Aug 2015

KEVINinTO

Former Member
Reaction score
Yes. That one looks bad. He didn't have a shirt one so he didn't look like he was about to pull anything out of a pocket or anything. I don't understand this one. Very tragic all the way around.

Only 650 police shootings? Doesn't seem all that high considering they responded to 1,163,146 violent crimes in 2013. Of those, 14,196 were murders. So I guess if people are going to be killing and robbing and jacking cars, some of them are going to die at the hands of the police. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

I look at it this way---there are about 14, 000 murders a year---25 of them so far this year are allegedly 'unarmed black men.' How many of that 25 were fighting with the cops at the time? Probably almost all of them.

As long as our cops are dealing with a large number of violent gang members and criminals, some people will die at their hands. Some will be mistakes, some will be murders/manslaughters, but most will be justified , IMO.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...n_geographic_division_and_state_2012-2013.xls

So another $5 million, give or take, to the family of the deceased guy that put his hands up?

I could have much respect for the female officer in the first linked video - commanding presence, well spoken - what a shame she didn't watch the video first. Or did she? Either way, who will pay much attention to what she says in the future?

....I could have much respect for the female officer in the first linked video - commanding presence, well spoken - what a shame she didn't watch the video first. Or did she? Either way, who will pay much attention to what she says in the future?

sbm Not following questioning her credibility, based on this presser clip.*

Sheriff said -
- domestic disturbance call.
- woman w cut to head, 18 m/o poss'ly. injured.
- LEOs tried non-lethal weapons to try to restrain him.
- after a lengthy confrontation, both LEOs shot, causing death of man.
- there is vid of part of confrontation.
- dept is investigating.

Factual, she does not say shooting was justified or unjustified, so seems about right to me, imo, at this point.

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6PsmpuYNJM&feature=youtu.be
From: http://www.cnn.com Aug 31, 2015 - Bexar Co Sheriff Susan Pamerleau

She says in the presser she knows the video exists - it's what she doesn't say that causes me to question her credibility.

She doesn't say he put his hands up and was shot. Did she watch the vid before the presser?

Look forward to hearing the non-lethal methods employed that appear to have happened off camera - at least this persons camera.

All my opinion.

She says in the presser she knows the video exists - it's what she doesn't say that causes me to question her credibility.
She doesn't say he put his hands up and was shot. Did she watch the vid before the presser?
Look forward to hearing the non-lethal methods employed that appear to have happened off camera - at least this persons camera.
All my opinion.

In linked vid*, man puts hands & arms up for a moment, then drops them as he & LEOs appear to continue confrontation.
Man stands there w arms & hands down for multiple seconds, then raises them for about one second, is shot.

I'm having trouble seeing his & LE actions, wish audio or better vid was available.
I look forward to Sheriff's report w all info reviewed & considered in making decision, whenever it is released.
Ditto report(s) of other agencies reviewing the shooting.

* http://www.ksat.com/news/ksatcom-exclusive-unedited-video-of-fatal-deputy-involved-shooting Aug 31

m
This article has a link to another article (which I did not follow) headlined "San Antonio Law Enforcement Officers have killed 10 people since Ferguson"

Appears to be bad shooting. If we are not going to discuss this case, but get in a political battle instead, I'm outta here.

With so many shootings by LE in the US and unarmed citizens ending up dead, it's difficult to contain a conversation to one 'incident' - those having a problem with so many LE shooting incidents have a difficult time accepting they are all a one off situation. Way too many now imo.

Political battle? Whose politics? What politics apply? Surely the retaliation (targeting officers sitting in their vehicles, having lunch etc) is not political. Pretty sure it's problem across the board - any and all boards.

With so many shootings by LE in the US and unarmed citizens ending up dead, it's difficult to contain a conversation to one 'incident' - those having a problem with so many LE shooting incidents have a difficult time accepting they are all a one off situation. Way too many now imo.

Political battle? Whose politics? What politics apply? Surely the retaliation (targeting officers sitting in their vehicles, having lunch etc) is not political. Pretty sure it's problem across the board - any and all boards.

Police responded to over a million violent crime calls. How many shootouts and fights would you expect to happen during a million calls? Is 600 fatalities really that surprising given that there are over 14,000 murders a year nationwide. So that is 14, 000 plus killings committed by the public,and 600 plus by the cops. Sounds about right to me, percentage wise. How can they answer violent calls without sometimes getting into violent interactions?

That means that statistically, death is a result in about ONE in every ONE THOUSAND, EIGHT HUNDRED violent crime calls. So cops answer 1, 800 calls between each one that ends in a death. That seems pretty good, imo.

Maybe i missed it since I couldn't figure out how to enlarge the video, but I didn't see anyone trying to revive the victim.

All of these LE shootings really bother me. All the publicity and the riots and looting when a black person is shot by police must be on every officer's mind. I fear that one of them will hesitate that one second when he's got to make the decision to shoot or not and it will be LE who doesn't go home to his family that night I'm not at all racist but I believe if Rev Jackson and A Sharpton would stay out of it and give no more coverage than when a white LE is killed by a black man we wouldn't have the violence we do now. I know we would have violence but not like we have now. It seems that people think that all LE goes out and targets the first black man they find to shoot down in the street. Of course it's JMO

Police responded to over a million violent crime calls. How many shootouts and fights would you expect to happen during a million calls? Is 600 fatalities really that surprising given that there are over 14,000 murders a year nationwide. So that is 14, 000 plus killings committed by the public,and 600 plus by the cops. Sounds about right to me, percentage wise. How can they answer violent calls without sometimes getting into violent interactions?

That means that statistically, death is a result in about ONE in every ONE THOUSAND, EIGHT HUNDRED violent crime calls. So cops answer 1, 800 calls between each one that ends in a death. That seems pretty good, imo.

Math is hard!

But you're absolutely correct.... When we look at the numbers, it's clear that there is not an epidemic of police shooting unarmed citizens. Of any color.

Yes, there are a few .... very few..... incidents in which police actually shoot some innocent person. OMG did you see the news out of DeKalb County? They went to the wrong house on a burglary call. Shot the homeowner. Shot the dog. Shot another cop. DeKalb police are in it hip-deep right now.

But mostly ..... almost entirely .... people shot by cops brought it on themselves.

This Houston shooting.... When I froze the video and went forward one frame at a time, what I saw was the man start to put his hands back down an instant before the shot rang out. The way he had been running around prior to that, I'd guess the cops on the scene were quite on edge with respect to what he was going to do next, and the instant he started putting his arms down, someone flinched and shot.

I do not believe it was a cold-blooded execution. I think the cop had his finger on the trigger when he shouldn't have, and I think the shot was in response to the man starting to put his arms back down. I'm not saying it was justified. I think, based just on what I saw in the video, this is rightly one for a jury to decide.

Not sure how quoting statistics on total number of calls answered by LE, or mentioning hesitation by LE with an unarmed person of any color or injured people will sway public outrage when they see this guy with no shirt on, hands in the air shot by LE.

Why is the Washington Post tracking killings by LE? Are they being 'political', inciting public outrage? Are they out of line? Or are they trying to put some legitimate perspective on how LE are conducting themselves in case there is a problem to be dealt with?

After reading this today, could not help but think of the disco era song in this and other cases - Hands up, baby hands up.

Did he really not have a shirt on? It looks to me like he had a wife-beater on.

Or did he just have the palest chest ever?

Not sure how quoting statistics on total number of calls answered by LE, or mentioning hesitation by LE with an unarmed person of any color or injured people will sway public outrage when they see this guy with no shirt on, hands in the air shot by LE.

Because:

With so many shootings by LE in the US and unarmed citizens ending up dead.

If the discussion is about this shooting, we can talk about this shooting. But if you're going to talk about "so many shootings by LE and unarmed citizens ending up dead," then we talk about them in the aggregate, and that means statistics. And we point out that there really aren't that many, statistically speaking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColleenFlicker
Back