SIDEBAR #54 - Travis Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot & then once a day it was taken & Sold to the tannery.......if you had to do this to survive you were "Piss Poor"
But worse than that were the really poor folk who couldn't even afford to buy a pot......they "didn't have a pot to piss in" & were the lowest of the low. The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be.

Here are some facts about the 1500s:

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and they still smelled pretty good by June.. However, since they were starting to smell . ...... . Brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting Married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children. Last of all the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it.. Hence the saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water!"

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof... Hence the saying "It's raining cats and dogs."

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt. Hence the saying, "Dirt poor." The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entrance-way. Hence: a thresh hold.

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire.. Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme: Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old. Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could, "bring home the bacon." They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and chew the fat.

Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the upper crust.

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would Sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial.. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of holding a wake.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive... So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, saved by the bell or was considered a dead ringer.

CREAM CHEESE MINTS RECIPE ~ sweet, minty, and melt-in-your-mouth
creamy!
INGREDIENTS:
8 ounces soft cream cheese
6 tablespoons soft butter
3/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract (NOT mint extract)
2 pounds sifted powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 drops red food coloring

Combine and push mint mixture into a pastry bag, icing syringe or squeeze bottle with a decorative tip. Create desired shapes for mints. Let set 1 hour

DID YOU KNOW

In my little world, items like cream of tartar (potassium bitartrate) are not simply a super way to stabilize egg whites but also scandalously inexpensive cleaning secrets.

This long-forgotten gem of a cleaning agent may be used with a little water or vinegar to lift even the most stubborn stains. Unattractive grout driving you batty? Mold and mildew stains got you reaching for the Prozac? Burner pans and casserole dishes giving you fits? Cream of Tartar is your new best friend.

Cream of tartar is one of nature’s best bleaching agents. Cream of tartar, a.k.a “crusted wine,” is mixed with baking soda to create baking powder (bet you didn't know that.. okay, some of you probably did, you smartypants). While it is an acid, it’s not harmful. It’s an acidic salt which comes from grapes.

Use a few tablespoons of cream of tartar with hot water or hydrogen peroxide and clean any aluminum pans which have discoloration or any rusty drains, pans, or stains.

Do you have copper kettles? Mix some cream of tarter with lemon juice and rub the copper with it. Rinse and be amazed!

How about a porcelain sink, tub, commode? Rub the porcelain surfaces with cream of tartar and watch the stains disappear.

Fabric stains? No prob. Mix a few teaspoons of cream of tartar with some glycerin and use like spray-and-wash. The results? Well, I’m here to tell you that this stuff cured the ring around Joshua’s shirt collars.

Just need a great nonabrasive cleaner? Mix 2 teaspoons of vinegar and 2 teaspoon of cream of tartar in a small dish (use 3 or 4 teaspoons of vinegar and 3 or 4 teaspoons of cream of tartar if you have more items to clean). Apply with your cleaning rag or scrub brush and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Scrub. Wash with hot soapy water.

This is for our dear, sweet, kind friend Dmacky :hug:

Let's all send her good thoughts and prayers her way...

I'm in the hospital right now trying to read and post from my stupid surface tablet, while wearing my cheaters, lol. Check out "THe Ultimate Cloth', they're amazing!!! Don't buy the knock-offs. I couldn't live without them for cleaning windows, stainless steel and many other things. I will try to find the website when I get home and will post it for you.

Thank you, Jasper!
Too bad, they don't ship to Europe... Would have loved to try them out.

This was posted on another thread, it's such a beautiful story I wanted to share it here. :happydance:

Golden retriever missing for almost two years in Tahoe National Forest is reunited with her owners
Almost two years after a golden retriever went missing on a camping trip in Tahoe National Forest, the thin, frail dog has been reunited with her family after being spotted at a campground emerging from the woods.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-dog-missing-two-years-reunited-20140619-story.html

And another happy doggy found story:
Dog Lost in Yellowstone National Park Found 42 Days Later

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. — Sep 5, 2015, 1:58 PM ET
AP_logo_update_20130709.gif

Yellowstone National Park is known for its wildlife, including bears and wolves. But for six weeks, one animal that roamed the park didn't belong.
An Australian shepherd named Jade was found in the Canyon area Friday, 42 days after she went missing.
"She's skin and bones, but otherwise she seems perfectly fine," owner David Sowers of Denver said.
Sowers said Jade ran off July 23 after an auto wreck on July 23 while he and his girlfriend, Laura Gillice, were driving through the park with the dog. more at link: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/dog-lost-yellowstone-national-park-found-42-days-33559030

Has anyone heard from GigG about her son in law's dad and the bike wreck?

Has anyone heard from GigG about her son in law's dad and the bike wreck?

Thanks for your concern, Pages. Things are a bit vague, but my understanding is that he had another round of CAT scans/MRIs this morning. It seems they missed something worrisome on the back of his head yesterday. But -- and here's the weird part about getting info third-hand -- apparently he's not doing very well, BUT they are hopeful that he will be released tomorrow. Huh??? IDK...

Hope everything works out for the SIL's dadGigi. My son got hit as a pedestrian and it took a while for the concussion headaches to go away, but he was apparently luckier than this guy. It is even harder to get your info second hand.

Thanks for your concern, Pages. Things are a bit vague, but my understanding is that he had another round of CAT scans/MRIs this morning. It seems they missed something worrisome on the back of his head yesterday. But -- and here's the weird part about getting info third-hand -- apparently he's not doing very well, BUT they are hopeful that he will be released tomorrow. Huh??? IDK...

So, he HAS been released. Bottom line DX: concussion and skull fracture. Pretty remarkable considering the truck ran over his head! Apparently the accident hasn't changed his demeanor, though. He's back to *****ing and moaning about everything and everyone. I feel bad for his wife who can quite easily become overwrought. They're a very litigious family, so I'm sure a lawsuit is already in the works. (Am I the only person out there who hasn't ever sued someone?)

Oddly enough, SIL, daughter and I were joking earlier this week about how amazing it is was that he hadn't already been hit by a car. He's a very aggressive bicyclist, plus, he doesn't wear a helmet.

Please don't get me wrong, I like him well enough and am very glad he's okay. That said, I'm not very close to him (we just share a grandchild together), but he does have a reputation for being an angry guy...

They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot & then once a day it was taken & Sold to the tannery.......if you had to do this to survive you were "Piss Poor"
But worse than that were the really poor folk who couldn't even afford to buy a pot......they "didn't have a pot to piss in" & were the lowest of the low. The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be.

Here are some facts about the 1500s:

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and they still smelled pretty good by June.. However, since they were starting to smell . ...... . Brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting Married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children. Last of all the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it.. Hence the saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water!"

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof... Hence the saying "It's raining cats and dogs."

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt. Hence the saying, "Dirt poor." The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entrance-way. Hence: a thresh hold.

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire.. Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme: Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old. Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could, "bring home the bacon." They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and chew the fat.

Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the upper crust.

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would Sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial.. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of holding a wake.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive... So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, saved by the bell or was considered a dead ringer.

You come up with the most interesting stuff, CJ, this one particularly fascinating. So I printed it, gonna show it to my son the history major and see what he thinks of it. My DH is also a history buff and sends his appreciation. :) The closest thing to this I can get: as a child we visited my grandma in the country, she had no indoor plumbing. There was an outdoor well that a pump was used to fill a pail of water. There was an out house. And we took baths in a # 10 washtub. Well, that was us little ones. I have no idea what the grownups did. :thinking: Sponge baths? I loved the bed, it was a very soft feather mattress that sunk way down in the middle, like being in a cocoon. :)

1972 - "Black September," a Palestinian terrorist group take 11 Israeli athletes hostage at the Olympic Games in Munich; by midnight all hostages and all but 3 terrorists are dead.

[video=youtu;G7-WvfWXn7U]http://youtu.be/G7-WvfWXn7U[/video]

1997 - Nobel Peace Prize winner Mother Teresa died in Calcutta, India, at age 87.

[video=youtu;AmBsgXnEJ6k]http://youtu.be/AmBsgXnEJ6k[/video]

You come up with the most interesting stuff, CJ, this one particularly fascinating. So I printed it, gonna show it to my son the history major and see what he thinks of it. My DH is also a history buff and sends his appreciation. :) The closest thing to this I can get: as a child we visited my grandma in the country, she had no indoor plumbing. There was an outdoor well that a pump was used to fill a pail of water. There was an out house. And we took baths in a # 10 washtub. Well, that was us little ones. I have no idea what the grownups did. :thinking: Sponge baths? I loved the bed, it was a very soft feather mattress that sunk way down in the middle, like being in a cocoon. :)

Hey Neesaki, how's it going? My great grand father settled land in the Ok land rush and they still had dirt floors in the thirties. My great grandmother moved to town after great grand dad died and wouldn't go back to the farm. She didn't want to leave her linoleum floors.

I remember when I was about three or four we went to visit friends in Missouri and all the kids lined up and got a bath. There were two to the tub at a time, and you got scrubbed shampooed and rinsed and you got out and had clean panites and a t shirt and sent to bed. I think those were the last times I slept though the night.

8a96bd7e0f64c62f856cc4035e64c845.jpg

Link: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/8a/96/bd/8a96bd7e0f64c62f856cc4035e64c845.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Queen woke me at 3:00 this AM- barking like mad. Seems that there was some skunks passing by the house. :scared:
She's finally asleep and I'm still awake. :sheesh:
Terrible smell thru-out the house. :(
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Pastor told police parishioner might be poisoning her family

"...She has since been charged with killing her husband, Mark Staudte, and 26-year-old son, Shaun Staudte. Prosecutors say she slowly poisoned them with antifreeze. Authorities also believe she poisoned another daughter, Sarah Staudte, who became very ill but survived...

Greene County Prosecutor Dan Patterson said Mountjoy’s ruling on the motion to suppress evidence could come at any time, but he expects it will be fairly soon, given that Staudte is scheduled to go to trial in November..."

http://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...-parishioner-might-poisoning-family/71284438/

WS thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...s-of-son-amp-husband-daughter-s-illness/page4
-------------------------------------------------------------

Grim Sleeper serial killings: Repeatedly delayed trial is set for Oct. 14

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-grim-sleeper-trial-20150817-story.html

Grim Sleeper website: https://grimsleeper.wordpress.com/

WS thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Update-Arrest-in-the-Grim-Sleeper-Case!/page9
-------------------------------------------

Looking for more stuff for her appeal I guess: :(

Disposition Information
Party Name ARSCode Description Crime Date Disposition Code Disposition Date
Jodi Ann Arias 13-1105 (F1) MURDER 1ST DEGREE 6/4/2008 Guilty By Jury Guilty By Jury 3/5/2015

Case Documents

9/3/2015 TSP - Transcript of Proceedings - Party (001) 9/3/2015
NOTE: 01/26/15 BY MARLA F ARNOLD CR, RPR
NOTE: 02/19/15 BY MARLA F ARNOLD, CR, RPR
NOTE: 02/18/2015 BY MARLA F. ARNOLD
9/3/2015 TSP - Transcript of Proceedings - Party (001) 9/4/2015
NOTE: 01/22/2015 BY MARLA F. ARNOLD
9/2/2015 TSP - Transcript of Proceedings - Party (001) 9/2/2015
NOTE: 01/14/2013 BY LORI REINHARDT

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.g...rtCases/caseInfo.asp?caseNumber=CR2008-031021
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member