TX - 2 High School Students in San Antonio Football Game Assault referee, 4 Sept 2015

They both should be charged with assault.

Unbelievable. Two football players from John Jay High School in San Antonio tackle and assault a referee. Two other players from John Jay were earlier ejected for "trash talking" other players.

Now, these students who attacked the ref claim the ref called them racist names.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...e-ISD-investigating-incident-with-6487775.php

Not seeing anything in link about players saying ref called them racist names, could have missed it. A source, if handy. TIA.

From link: "Two John Jay High School football players who appear to have deliberately tackled a referee during a game Friday night, have been suspended from school as well as the team, officials said Sunday." bbm

Yes, from both angles of linked vid, certainly did appear to have been deliberate.

Not seeing anything in link about players saying ref called them racist names, could have missed it. A source, if handy. TIA.

From link: "Two John Jay High School football players who appear to have deliberately tackled a referee during a game Friday night, have been suspended from school as well as the team, officials said Sunday." bbm

Yes, from both angles of linked vid, certainly did appear to have been deliberate.

I didn't see the racist names part either.

“The question of what instigated that is what we’re trying to figure out,” Laing said.

Oops. Spoke too soon.

Texas high school players allege referee in incident used racial slurs

SAN ANTONIO -- Officials with a San Antonio school district say two football players accused of ramming into a referee during a high school game allege the referee directed racial slurs at them.

Northside Independent School District Superintendent Brian T. Woods says an assistant football coach accused of suggesting the students retaliate against the referee has been placed on leave.

http://espn.go.com/moresports/story...lege-referee-field-incident-used-racial-slurs

Kinda have my doubts about the racial slurs. But even if it did happen, there was a more official and less violent way to handle it.

I completely don't believe there were any racial slurs stated by the ref. I think that's a complete smoke screen, an attempt to justify attacking him.

Here's what's come out on radio, and in the news:

Early in the game, 2 players were ejected for trash talking the other team. One of the players was John Jay's star player. They began to lose the game. The assistant coach then said that ref "needs to pay for cheating us", an apparent reference to kicking out the player that would have probably led John Jay to a win. The two tackled the ref, and then the ref ejected one of the tacklers, and accidentally ejected the wrong guy that he thought had headbutted him with the helmet, leaving the truly guilty player still in the game. With one more play to go, the last play of the game, the one guilty of head butting the ref took a late hit on Marble Falls QB , in an illegal tackle that is illegal because it can ruin a player's knees forever. Thankfully, the QB was not injured as intended. Even though the game was over at that point, the ref took the sanction of ejecting that player for the assaultive late hit.

This is all over the news here, all the statements in my summary have been in MSM. I hope the assistant coach and the 2 players are charged with crimes, the coach and two players never are allowed near UIL football again, and the ref is successful in lawsuits against those who have libeled and slandered him.

The game was played in Marble Falls, so it's up to LE and Marble Falls prosecutors to decide whether to press charges, and it sounds like as of yesterday they were headed to criminal court.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/assistant-coach-john-jay-marble-falls-targeting-referee

We had a nearly identical case when I lived in Los Angeles, with the same defense, "the ref called us the 'N word'".

I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now. In both cases, only the assaulting players seemed to hear the alleged slurs. And any ref who used such slurs so casually would have been found out long before.

But even if it were true, since when does a verbal slur justify violence?

I do not believe the ref used any racist slurs. I think they players were angry because the ref threw some star players out of the game earlier. They made the racial slur accusation as a way to justify their actions, imo.

That ref could have been paralyzed.
What bratty kids. Smdh.
:moo:

Bratty? The video I saw depicted an assault with intent to commit great bodily harm. Those 2 players are Felons, not brats. The hits they laid on the defenseless ref could have caused life threatening injuries. They should both be in jail. JMO MOO

Bratty? The video I saw depicted an assault with intent to commit great bodily harm. Those 2 players are Felons, not brats. The hits they laid on the defenseless ref could have caused life threatening injuries. They should both be in jail. JMO MOO

RSBM Emphasis mine

Too easy on both of them to use the word "bratty". You are correct... Just re-watched the video and it looks like they meant to injure him. That is indeed an assault.
And I don't care how good of a sports player someone is; doing something wrong does not mean they should get a free pass -- just because their on-field performance is good.
:moo:

Yes, it's obvious they did mean to injure him. And it's entirely possible that he could have been injured very badly. Two helmeted, padded football players vs. one non-padded non-helmeted ref who didn't even see them coming. He could easily have sustained a broken neck or back.

Aggravated battery at the very least.

Expulsion and criminal charges are needed here.

'They are flat-out lying': 'Blindsided' Texas referee filmed being tackled by two players during football game denies directing racial slurs at the students

John Jay High School were losing to Marble Falls when tackle took place

Referee appeared to have been deliberately hit by two John Jay players

Pair alleged that official used 'racist slur' against them before the incident

Attorney for referee Robert Watts said he is now considering legal action

Said players using 'common tactic' to make victim of crime responsible

Watts says he prefers to 'keep quiet' but spoke after being 'slandered'

Players named locally as sophomore Victor Rojas and senior Mike Moreno

Under Texas law, they face six months behind bars and up to $2,000 fine

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ting-racial-slurs-students.html#ixzz3lO4NS0p0

I was so shocked, and saddened that the two athletes were given the spotlight on Good Morning America.

Later that day, the attorney for the referee was interviewed on a local radio station, KLBJ am. He didn't know whether Marble Falls was going to press charges, but he felt the decision would come soon. He also added that the ref is injured but didn't specify in what way or how badly.

I'm dismayed that anyone gives these boys a forum to spew the lies about the ref. Ridiculous, unbelievable garbage. Interesting that no one ever seemed to hear him make statements like that, ever in his prior hundreds of games he officiated, and then suddenly everyone on the field (and even some students in the stands) claim to have heard him make racial slurs. Like, really? Really.

And why didn't the intentional late hit on the quarterback come up in the GMA interview? Maybe the quarterback also was shouting racial epithets?

I agree. They were treated with kid gloves in the interview and allowed to slander the ref further. It was pathetic. They shouldn't have been given a forum to excuse their behavior. They should hang their heads and fade away quietly and hope that people forget, but I guess the race card was just too tempting to play.

This week in a somewhat similar incident, a player tore the helmet off a member of the opposing team and whacked the guy in the head with it. The victim required 10 stitches.

linden1.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high-school/nj-player-hit-foe-helmet-booted-team-article-1.2362806

Excerpts from Watts (the referee) sworn statement given to Marble Falls Police Department last week. I REALLY hope these kids are charged with assault. One of the most unbelievable things about this statement is that Gutierrez, the head coach said he doesn't know his players names when asked to provide them after the game. ???? Are you kidding?

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/robert-watts-john-jay-referee-attack

In other news, Mack Breed the assistant coach who initially stated he ordered the players to attack the ref has now recanted, saying he thought if he took the fall the players wouldn't be suspended. I guess he doesn't know how serious assault on a school official is. Good riddance, he has now resigned his position.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/john-ja...tedly-recants-that-he-told-players-to-hit-ref

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back