WA WA - Lydia Braschler-Varo, 13, Mount Vernon, 2 July 2001

Michelle Read

Reaction score
also as noted by Steve Huff:

"Lydia Braschler-Varo was last seen leaving her family home in Mt. Vernon, WA on July 2, 2001.
She vanished.

Lydia’s body was found on February 25, 2002, not far from the Varo home. She’d been murdered. Her death remains an unsolved mystery today. Lydia was Daniel Varo’s younger sister. There is no reason to believe there is any connection between the murders of either sibling. The only connection at this moment is the blow to the Varo family, the inexplicable visiting of such tragedy on one set of parents. That, and as far as anyone knows at the moment, both murders are unsolved."

What a tragedy for this family to lose two children to murder! I cannot even fathom such a thing. May God give them strength and peace during this trying time.

From September 2010:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/103007944.html

Nearly a decade ago, a little girl went missing in Washington... Nine months later, someone found her body down a 50 foot embankment six miles from her aunt's house...

An autopsy showed Varo had been beaten to death.

Search and rescue crews scoured this area in the weeks after she disappeared. She was finally found nine months later when someone picking mushrooms found her body, leaving detectives to believe the murderer placed Varo's body in the field.

Lydia's murder is still listed as a cold case with the Skagit County SO:

http://www.skagitcounty.net/Departments/Sheriff/coldcase.htm

On July 2, 2001, 13 year old Lydia Varo-Braschler was reported to have walked away from a relative's house in the 15000 block of Hwy 9 in Big Lake. Lydia was visiting from Wisconsin at the time, and was visiting family in the area. Extensive Search and Rescue efforts were made at the time she was reported missing.

On April 17, 2002, Lydia's body was found over an embankment on Lake Cavanaugh Road, about 2 miles from Hwy 9. The cause of her death was determined to be blunt force.

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. - Police say they are looking for a missing teen girl from out of state who went missing Sunday while visiting the area with her family.

The missing girl, identified as Katelynn Barlow, 14, was in the Big Lake area visiting extended family when she disappeared, the Skagit County Sheriff's Office said in a prepared statement.

She was last seen Sunday night at the home where she and her family were staying. Investigators say she may have travelled from Big Lake to the Snohomish County area.

Katelynn is described as a white female standing 5-feet-1-inch tall and weighing about 120 pounds. She goes by the name Katie. Apparently her phone has been located at a truck stop

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. - Police say they are looking for a missing teen girl from out of state who went missing Sunday while visiting the area with her family.

The missing girl, identified as Katelynn Barlow, 14, was in the Big Lake area visiting extended family when she disappeared, the Skagit County Sheriff's Office said in a prepared statement.

She was last seen Sunday night at the home where she and her family were staying. Investigators say she may have travelled from Big Lake to the Snohomish County area.

Katelynn is described as a white female standing 5-feet-1-inch tall and weighing about 120 pounds. She goes by the name Katie. Apparently her phone has been located at a truck stop

Closing the loop here. Katelynn Barlow was located shortly after she went missing.
Girl, 14, who went missing while visiting family in Big Lake area found safe in Federal Way

Seen different newspaper accounts on her last moments...
-Got an argument with a cousin then took a walk to cool down
-Aunt went shopping and said she’d be back in a couple hours, last time she saw her
And
-went for a walk to a local store

Seen different newspaper accounts on her last moments...
-Got an argument with a cousin then took a walk to cool down
-Aunt went shopping and said she’d be back in a couple hours, last time she saw her
And
-went for a walk to a local store
She had a squabble with her cousin because she was bored and he was focusing on fixing his truck. The aunt,not the property owning aunt, said alot of things . She did head towards the store.

possibly an Israel Keyes victim? I know he said he didn’t kill kids but i don’t believe him. Israel Keyes - Wikipedia
As far as I know, Keyes didn’t exactly say he didn’t kill kids (although at one point he did say his youngest victim was “late teens”)

He said his perspective on killing kids changed after his daughter was born, which to me implies that he either DID kill a kid at some point, or he at least thought about it. His daughter was born in October 2001.

I’ve never heard of this case before but my knee jerk reaction is it’s probably not a Keyes case, but I definitely wouldn’t rule out the possibility.

Interesting thought. Lindsey was taken pretty far away from her abduction site, while Lydia was not.But, Lydia was walking on the side of the road, both murders would have involved a vehicle.

Interesting thought. Lindsey was taken pretty far away from her abduction site, while Lydia was not.But, Lydia was walking on the side of the road, both murders would have involved a vehicle.
And in the interview he asked ”is Ellensburg in eastern or western WA?” They tell him eastern, and he goes ”then we’re gonna need both (westWA fbi and eastWAfbi)!” And she was taken from western WA, McCleary.

And in the interview he asked ”is Ellensburg in eastern or western WA?” They tell him eastern, and he goes ”then we’re gonna need both (westWA fbi and eastWAfbi)!” And she was taken from western WA, McCleary.

Which interview are you referring to?

Which interview are you referring to?
Omg, I don’t remember the date of it. The one where the feds tell him to please tell them something, give us the states so we can contact the local fbi there, and then some talk about Washington and then about federal land there, and about east WA and west WA, then Keyes asking where the line between east and west WA goes. I’m sorry! If I remember/see it I’ll post it here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back